EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
God start works if you do level locked. It doesn't make much sense if you don't. A better option for having god be nontrivial (months of pop prefarming beforehand) is to just release it at the same time as pop - but no need to start there. You could do a selo style start and just release expacs in batches by level, so all the 65, then all the 70, etc.

For tss start, I've actually been a bit sold on the idea of an sof start. You lose almost nothing on the leveling experience side of things and are pre-merc, while the end game content is a lot wider especially for group content.

If they are going to start past Luclin then OoW would make far more sense.

Oow was decent for a race event but its a narrow expansion except for epics, which are one offs. Don is a flatly better start in much the same ways that a pop start would be better off with ldon bundled during the level grind.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I need to revise my Kerafyrm event server idea a bit. Would the Sleeper even be killable in Velious-era? Probably if you threw 600 bodies at it and chain rezzed but that'd be kinda dumb. I guess make the Kerafyrm server lock at Luclin or PoP? Only major thing about this server is that the Sleeper respawns in open world until he's actually slain. I assume at level 65 with plane gear and Luclin+ AAs the Sleeper might be doable with one raid of people. IIRC Faceless rolled him at like level 70 on Test in PoR era (which has gear with 3x the HP of PoP) but I could be wrong.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
If they do god start there’s zero shot I play. Anything classic/kunark era I’m 100% playing. How do they not realize people play these things for nostalgia and basically no others reason.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If they do god start there’s zero shot I play. Anything classic/kunark era I’m 100% playing. How do they not realize people play these things for nostalgia and basically no others reason.

I think there's a lot of merit for them to get more players to play more expansions but a mostly vanilla ruleset beginning at Gates isn't going to do much of that. I can't believe there's a great deal of public demand for such a server so I'm left thinking their goal is to increase the amount of players that play Gates and beyond by having a late start TLP.

Or they're just crazy.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lately it's just missing the group atmosphere in like, every other game.

It's a miracle there's still a playerbase that makes the game playable. There's mountains of shit games that are ghost towns but EQ still kicking in 2022... Crazy.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Yarr i have the best idea ever.
They should do an LoY start.
All level 30+ mobs outside of LoY are despawned until Krasnok dies.
First guild that kills Krasnok gets vanity old human model eyepatches.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think every single TLP that there is no way that a Classic start TLP would be popular, there's no way people are not sick of that yet... and I'm wrong every single time. I think a TSS start would be awesome. I played Aradune for Classic, then came back for Luclin-GoD, and burned out again so I've not played TSS+ like ever, and that would be fun. No matter what, whatever server they decide we will all come running back and play the shit out of it. Happens every time!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could see GoD start with level lock being interesting to try out. What's the lowest level you can AA at? 50 or 51? You'd probably want to lock it there to start. It'd be interesting to see what you could clear with a raid of near-max AA 51s, it'd at least be different from what we've done before.

yerm

I think the simplest thing is to just drop these end of level expacs with the early ones. We saw how fucking awesome luclin was without months of velious farming beforehand. Give is god with pop, so people aren't full on aas and time gear. Give us por with oow so the pre-dk raids are relevant - that expac has some great lower content and about the worst end zone shit.

I'm obviously still a huge advocate for level locks and have been for years. If it's too much work, or too soon off mischiefs wildness, just give us bundled expansions so people can kill tunat and mayong and shit without quarm loot and 2.0s etc prefarmed ad naseum.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They will probably backpedal and change it, maybe before it’s even officially announced. DPG is pretty decent about changing their servers pre launch to accommodate community outcry.

Perhaps once the full ruleset is officially dropped it will be more well received.

I think it’s GoD launch with level lock at 30, level locks increase at some point. Items have no level restrictions.

yerm

Sounds fantastic to me. Hopefully theres a more popular classic launch server parallel to it to suck all the shitters and krono spenders away.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
There are a lot of popular TLPs out right now. I wonder if there is space for two TLPs this year?

Rizlona, Mangler, Aradune, Mischief all have pretty large player bases still.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just thought of the fact that GoD includes the tutorial, which probably gives you better gear than any other zone before 30.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
There are a lot of popular TLPs out right now. I wonder if there is space for two TLPs this year?

Rizlona, Mangler, Aradune, Mischief all have pretty large player bases still.

Yeah but like i can farm Mischief DKP at hill giants on Phinny clone 9.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Some noteworthy things with a GoD launch:
  • Mage pet nerfs are fully removed from the start.
  • Beastlords could impact the meta. I haven’t parsed their pets but they could be strong in the level rush.
  • Tutorial is in with OP gear.
  • Luclin newbie armor quests are in.
  • Bot crews can auto LDoN to cap without people really seeing them.
  • MoTM is gone from classic targets so expect them all to die day 1 to a pile of pet casters.
  • 50% exp potions are in
  • 250hp mounts are in the store
  • Revamped planar bosses
  • Cazic Thule, Paw, Warrens, Veksar, Stonebrunt are all in and or revamped
  • VP revamp is in
  • VP may not require a key, the VP Auto Unlock is kind of buggy.
  • Paladins don’t suck

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

• Beastlords could impact the meta. I haven’t parsed their pets but they could be strong in the level rush.
  • MoTM is gone from classic targets so expect them all to die day 1 to a pile of pet casters.
  • 50% exp potions are in
  • Revamped planar bosses
  • VP revamp is in
  • Paladins don’t suck

When I tested beastlords pre selo they didn't seem up to snuff compared to mages. Dps with fists and I think I used dsp drops were not great. The mage was just basically better across the board. Beastlord isn't BAD though, just not top tier.

I think charm still rules in this setting. Druids were really strong on selo with some select outdoor routes to charm through, here you add in pop zones starting late 40s too. Necro is probably #1 imo. On the flip side, I'd wager berserker can finally let rogues be not-worst...

A lot of the revamped zones are unfortunately kind of bad. Exceptions I'm aware of are warrens and vp. Some spots like droga/nurga/veksar are potentially worth it even if they're a slight xp hit since the drops are that good, particularly if you're leveling with melees and not trying to race or some shit.

God actually has some really cool entry level quests that are basically never done on tlps, but would be totally worth doing here.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
  • 50% exp potions are in
  • Revamped planar bosses
  • VP revamp is in
  • Paladins don’t suck
If the new TLP starts in GoD, wouldn't it be competing directly with the Mischief server for the exact same time period?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think there's a lot of merit for them to get more players to play more expansions but a mostly vanilla ruleset beginning at Gates isn't going to do much of that. I can't believe there's a great deal of public demand for such a server so I'm left thinking their goal is to increase the amount of players that play Gates and beyond by having a late start TLP.

Or they're just crazy.

If they want to increase the amount of players who stick around, a TSS start is the way to go. The population has several major die-off points and the biggest is the level 70 era.

GoD is another one, but a lot of that is having LDoN as a lead-in, and GoD->OoW itself is a decent era.

However DoN->DoD->PoR is a really redundant era where the only AAs are in DoD and player attrition really sets in. I like PoR myself (mainly due to nostalgia and enjoying the Sunwell-ish vibe some of it had back in the day) but without AAs it's another drag on player retention at a time when they've already gone through several drags.

TSS start skips all of that 70 era, puts people at the beginning of the modern game style, and gives guilds a ton of routes they can take while competing with each other. Do you farm OoW for BPs and epics first? Is GoD worth running for tank gear at launch? Do you bother with DoN/DoD? Maybe one guild decides to try doing PoR content undergeared at 75 and skips OoW. Maybe you go straight for TSS raids despite being in noob gear? I mean there are a lot of possibilities.