EQ TLP - Yelinak (True-Box Timelocked Progression)

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seems like a lot of words when you could’ve just written

“‘MAN I DINDU NUFFIN”

He isn't saying they dindu nuffin. He is saying that they stopped after being suspended but still get suspended again for what they were already suspended for. Totally different things. Your post isn't the gotcha you think it is. They seem to just have a list and once they put someone on they are stuck and now subject to all future % bans regardless. There were people in amtrak who got legit suspensions but accounts that hadn't even logged into the game for a year would be hit too. That's just lazy or terrible enforcement.

I like them banning people for cheating. I don't like that they didn't give a warning first that they will ban for it after ignoring it for 10 years. Its the same as blizz suddenly banning for honorbuddy back in the day, they ignored it for literally 5 years to the point where it became pretty common, then banned when it was onnly their innaction for so long that made mmost people thinnnk it was ok.

I want to agree but my understanding is that it was 2 or 7 days for first offenders of minor (not afk or warps) cheating. Yeah it's sorta shitty they didn't warn after years of tacit approval, but, I consider a 48hr or even 1 week suspension to be somewhat of a "warning" at least. If these were hefty 3wk or permas I'd fully agree but AFAIK that didn't happen for passive hack first offenses.

Also I don't think the attitude was ever "I guess cheating is ok since they don't care" and more of "I guess they don't care and won't do anything" which is different. Most people always knew it was not approved, and just figured they wouldn't bother to enforce. Outside rizlona because of discord comments, actual acceptance never seemed to be there.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
He isn't saying they dindu nuffin. He is saying that they stopped after being suspended but still get suspended again for what they were already suspended for. Totally different things. Your post isn't the gotcha you think it is. They seem to just have a list and once they put someone on they are stuck and now subject to all future % bans regardless. There were people in amtrak who got legit suspensions but accounts that hadn't even logged into the game for a year would be hit too. That's just lazy or terrible enforcement.

People who have a known history of cheating get banned yet again for cheating, and claim they haven’t cheated this time.

Ok.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People who have a known history of cheating get banned yet again for cheating, and claim they haven’t cheated this time.

Ok.
Think about the situation a little harder and you might get there.

Let me put it another way: currently GamParse falls within their very broadly described list of discouraged third party programs, defined here: Constructive criticism regarding recent ban waves. | Page 3 | EverQuest Forums

If they start warning people for using it for live overlays or EQ client interaction and I get warned and wanted to keep playing EQ, I would stop using it. If DPG continues their current strategy of suspension rollouts, I would get warned again, and then suspended, and then banned even if I stopped using it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's plain and simple. Don't use any programs they don't want you to use.

*never actually tells you what programs are bad*

"You should have read the rules!"

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Lol. No-troll I suggest actually using Kizant's EQ Log Parser if you're still using GamParse. GamParse is actually maintained by someone who (secretly) works at DPG, and is closed source, which honestly should make people uncomfortable that it might be getting leveraged in ways you don't think.

Now, as a matter of rules--I have zero belief using GamParse will get you in trouble, I was mostly just wanting to highlight how abjectly stupid Angeliana's post was. It continues to baffle me how DPG just can't figure out how to communicate about this issue. They seem stuck in this loop of "we can't endorse specific programs" and "we can't tell you specifically what cheating is, or that might make it easier to cheat." It creates almost like a Soviet court style regime where you can be punished, but you aren't entitled to know what law you're breaking, nor how to avoid breaking it in the future. The issues they think are intractable and require "extreme ambiguity", are routinely navigated by other MMO companies.

For example, Blizzard never says "use x" "don't use x", but they have zero issue saying "any software that lets you broadcast keys across multiple game clients is prohibited", just as an example in terms of how clear you can make the rules without "endorsing" a program.

Frankly, I think the real issue is DPG has no policy on cheating, either internally or anywhere else. They have JChan who lets the devs ban whomever they want, and the devs largely appear to follow the lead of what their guild leaders tell them to do, because we have several devs who appear to largely use their role at DPG to improperly benefit people they play with. I think a lot of it comes back to ISBoxer, which a lot of raiders in dev associated Live guilds use. They don't want to make it so you can't use that, but allowing ISBoxer means they can't blanket prohibit things like key broadcasting and mirroring--but then Angeliana comes in and says nothing can "modify the game experience", which isboxer literally does since it runs eq clients in its own subsystem and changes lots of innate things about the client. And yet...we know that because Lax has zero desire for ISBoxer to be used "against a game's wishes", there is a simple server-side flag that can enable/disable isboxer on any server, the very existence of that flag suggests an endorsement for some ISboxer use--but they won't acknowledge that. Which again, gets back into like a Soviet style system, where they are literally explicitly coding something that lets you use a specific third party program, but won't let you mention that program by name on their forums.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And yet...we know that because Lax has zero desire for ISBoxer to be used "against a game's wishes"
Yeah, the dumbest shit about them not whitelisting ISB is that Lax literally reaches out to them to avoid implementing features that are against their game's wishes. I found this out when I first started using it and made a feature request they rejected because it was too close to automation.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Aren’t they suspending people for ISBoxer since like 2020?
I've never heard of anyone even claiming they were suspended for using ISBoxer. It seems like most of the focus is on truebox servers where ISB isn't even functional.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hope you're happy Sieger. edit: oh they unlocked it and are now ninja deleting posts.

I wonder which thread will get bumped next to innocently hint at their current ambiguity for all the drama-loving rabble (including me) to pile into.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I hope you're happy Sieger. edit: oh they unlocked it and are now ninja deleting posts.

I wonder which thread will get bumped next to innocently hint at their current ambiguity for all the drama-loving rabble (including me) to pile into.
It's weird whatever they are doing, they locked it and ninja deleted a good % of the posts, but a ton of the "controversial" ones (including several of mine) are still there, and they've unlocked it again.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's weird whatever they are doing, they locked it and ninja deleted a good % of the posts, but a ton of the "controversial" ones (including several of mine) are still there, and they've unlocked it again.
Sounds like standard operating procedure, just like the bans. Half assed implementation with vague communication or insight.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I personally feel confident using my own judgment on what is ok and what's not... but (and I mean this very seriously) DPG should know that a good part of their playerbase posseses a certain mental "diversity," that makes then unable to comprehend non black and white rules.

Which is probably also part of the problem. If DPG says well, hey GamParse is ok then the next thing you know you have GamParse SE that can now display all spawn information on your map and automate your toons.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That cuck Beimeith deleted my post mentioning that he worked for DPG now and so his software would be protected from suspensions.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's pure clown world, they deleted a post from Protocol asking about UI modifications and my response.

Maybe that being Beimeth's thread means it's just a playground. They won't lock the thread, but they will just arbitrarily moderate it.

This level of capricious community management probably carries over to ingame, so I should just shut and move on but I'm like a moth to the flame.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Right, I long ago concluded this company is complete trash, ran by trash, maintained by trash, corrupt, incompetent etc. They don't deserve my time or money. But, I'm a cuck so I keep playing. I would frankly love it to come home one day and find all my accounts were permabanned because it'd save me from my own bad brain that keeps me playing.

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Right, I long ago concluded this company is complete trash, ran by trash, maintained by trash, corrupt, incompetent etc. They don't deserve my time or money. But, I'm a cuck so I keep playing. I would frankly love it to come home one day and find all my accounts were permabanned because it'd save me from my own bad brain that keeps me playing.
With the crazy amount of turnover they seem to have had in the last 5 years, its definitely a shit show over there.

It says a lot about a company when they stop offering account to account transfer because "the guy who knew how to do them quit".

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol, they just deleted the entire day of posts in that thread. And nothing of value was lost.