EQ TLP - Yelinak (True-Box Timelocked Progression)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've personally quit the server before the suspensions due to my rent going up 40% and having to get a real job lol.

I actively posted here to keep the thread active and maybe drive people to play seeing some action going on without the endless negatives being posted but that's on someone else now.

But with being unable to respond to batphones and not being able to attend DZs what's the point in playing?

My free time will most likely go to the Poe league and eventually rolling on the wotlk prepatch fresh servers, at least I can play those games when I have free time and actually progress a character.

Unfortunately I literally have nothing to do in EQ without raiding, my character is Max level, epic is completed, the one archeologist quest I wanted is completed, vp key completed. Outside of rolling an alt, there's very little to do on my own, especially as a solo box.
As a non-boxer the server gets quiet and hard to keep going. Have a few friends that are boxers, with all the laptops and numpads, and they are still going having a good time doing whatever they want. Finishing epics, etc. I have 4 accounts, but never play more than 2 at a time, and even then it's just to port myself or something. Go LFG on my Warrior, and then bring the cleric for backup heals or something.

I'm not sure what the future of the server looks like. I haven't done Velious in a really long time, typically burn out by then and so I'm in for that at least. But I'm not in a guild, so I don't raid or do OW targets. Quitting sounds like a dumb way out since I've put the time in to get a 60 cleric with epic, on an account I'd never sell. Just like all the other TLPs though, hundreds of hours are just thrown away when you move on. :(

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
DPG's actions are obfuscated by time delays, ambiguities and incompetence, so it's hard to tell what people got banned for. And that's presuming they aren't obfuscating it further by mixing in different reasons and randomly sampling the naughty list.

If they could accurately detect ShowEQ usage they could end ShowEQ usage overnight by saying "Hey, if you use ShowEQ after right now you're getting hit" and then follow through. Same with multiplicity etc. But instead people will get hit for maybe having used ShowEQ six months ago. In their current system they get the worst of all worlds, where there is a presumption of wildly common cheating that detracts from enjoyment while people aren't sure if they're playing legally, which detracts from enjoyment.

I could see myself getting suspended when I play again at the next expansion release because I tried out Multiplicity right before the Aradune release, and I'd have no way of knowing that was it or because I spammed the game too hard or because the community managers are spiteful at me or something.
They can actively detect MySEQ that has zero modifications to either executable name (server.exe and myseq.exe).

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't see it as a waste at all, I had a lot of fun on yelinak, I got to experience a few classes I never got to play before and did meet some cool people this time that I consider friends now and that was my goal for this server.

With that said, I really took for granted how good of leaders zaide and qelyn were, they definitely set the bar, probably too high, for my expectations of guilds in EQ.

None of these guilds hold a candle to the competition and execution we had on mischief, it's really unfortunate we didn't get someone to bring that to yelinak.

Looking back I probably should have stayed on mischief but it is what it is.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
They can actively detect MySEQ that has zero modifications to either executable name (server.exe and myseq.exe).
Do you have any other examples besides these test toons who were afk tracking spawns on test server? I still think they got reported and manually dealt with for being afk in a zone that stuff spawns in. I still haven't heard of a single person who got hit who only uses showeq. Maybe they can detect it but I don't see any evidence that any suspension waves have been sent out with showeq as a target.

Morphiend

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its actually pretty apparent that a singular reason doesnt exist... Im fairly convinced at this point it boils down to being reported, and some rando DB Employee/contractor who doesn't play the game reviews it and ban's.

JinxedChoker

Golden Squire
Its actually pretty apparent that a singular reason doesnt exist... Im fairly convinced at this point it boils down to being reported, and some rando DB Employee/contractor who doesn't play the game reviews it and ban's.
There is reasons that exist but instead of people chipping in with the history of reasons WHY they got banned to help the general population decypher wtf is going on, they would rather makeup scenarios and reason as to why "They haven't cheated THIS time around" to save face within their EQ peers as if it matters. Some even go as far as to try and hide the fact that they HAVE done TrueBox code evasion at some point in the accounts history and HAVE used MQ2 on previous TLP servers but they try to justify it by trying to shame the 90% server population that "Well they ALL use SEQ and thats 3rd party too...THEY should be banned too!" its a common bad personality trait in people that love to pass off individual personal blame onto others to justify actions that they have done which gave them a penalty of some sort. Another good one is people who actually did nothing wrong but they purchased a character from someone they haven't fully vetted or a shiesty 3rd party site...."Well, the account must be clean!". Good sir/mam, that account has more flags on it than a pride parade and the only organic hand in leveling on that account was the person clicking in the Krono to active it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There is reasons that exist but instead of people chipping in with the history of reasons WHY they got banned to help the general population decypher wtf is going on, they would rather makeup scenarios and reason as to why "They haven't cheated THIS time around" to save face within their EQ peers as if it matters. Some even go as far as to try and hide the fact that they HAVE done TrueBox code evasion at some point in the accounts history and HAVE used MQ2 on previous TLP servers but they try to justify it by trying to shame the 90% server population that "Well they ALL use SEQ and thats 3rd party too...THEY should be banned too!" its a common bad personality trait in people that love to pass off individual personal blame onto others to justify actions that they have done which gave them a penalty of some sort. Another good one is people who actually did nothing wrong but they purchased a character from someone they haven't fully vetted or a shiesty 3rd party site...."Well, the account must be clean!". Good sir/mam, that account has more flags on it than a pride parade and the only organic hand in leveling on that account was the person clicking in the Krono to active it.
I agree that there's a lot of static thrown around by players, for several reasons, but I don't have enough trust in DPG to believe that they aren't constantly making mistakes on account actions.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree that there's a lot of static thrown around by players, for several reasons, but I don't have enough trust in DPG to believe that they aren't constantly making mistakes on account actions.

Considering using 2 separate legit boxes and typing on both quickly activates truebox detection and kicks you, I wouldn't be surprised if they added a call function to flag the account when this happens and you're just waiting around for your number to get pulled.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Plain and simply put, this is our stance. Anything which affects gameplay, from launch of the game to camp out is discouraged.

Modification of your OS environment in an attempt to falsify data that the game accesses will result in a ban.

Be sure that you are not using any sort of 3rd party programs, scripts or anything that would modify the game or the game experience.

We cannot and will not comment on specific 3rd party programs (by name or type) and if players decide to use them at their own risk (whether for automation or not) we can’t guarantee they won’t be caught up in anti-hack initiatives.
Magelo sync on suicide watch.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Do you have any other examples besides these test toons who were afk tracking spawns on test server? I still think they got reported and manually dealt with for being afk in a zone that stuff spawns in. I still haven't heard of a single person who got hit who only uses showeq. Maybe they can detect it but I don't see any evidence that any suspension waves have been sent out with showeq as a target.
If you put a breakpoint on the xor'd string as it comes in from the server, you can run MySEQ.exe and step through the cached data the server sends when you first zone in. On a periodic timer, it will check the list of running processes on your PC, and send them to the server if they match the name (hashed) of the process in question.

Search for the string K32EnumProcesses and look about two or three functions up from it, and you'll be smack dab in a function you can breakpoint. There are several loops that gather information, and a function that un-XORs the data in question. Within that function, you can see the status of the process in question in a string that gets placed into an XML Blob:

Depending on the status of the file in question, you may see:
[blocklist] <file path>
[system] <file path>
[user] <file path>

This data is sent directly to the server in a manner that the server can un-XOR the data in question, and get the human readable names of the processes in question. That's how they flag your account to be banned at some point in the future.

MQ2 already hooks this functionality and avoids detection, as long as it's injected into the process in question, it will attempt to exclude all of its dynamic link libraries (ie; MQ2Nav.dll, etc) from the processes' scan in question.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have to admit this is all pretty funny to me. People begged for tougher enforcement and this is what they got. People always want harm to others until it comes to them.

• 1Like

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you put a breakpoint on the xor'd string as it comes in from the server, you can run MySEQ.exe and step through the cached data the server sends when you first zone in. On a periodic timer, it will check the list of running processes on your PC, and send them to the server if they match the name (hashed) of the process in question.

Search for the string K32EnumProcesses and look about two or three functions up from it, and you'll be smack dab in a function you can breakpoint. There are several loops that gather information, and a function that un-XORs the data in question. Within that function, you can see the status of the process in question in a string that gets placed into an XML Blob:

[blocklist] <file path>
[system] <file path>
[user] <file path>

This data is sent directly to the server in a manner that the server can un-XOR the data in question, and get the human readable names of the processes in question. That's how they flag your account to be banned at some point in the future.

MQ2 already hooks this functionality and avoids detection, as long as it's injected into the process in question, it will attempt to exclude all of its dynamic link libraries (ie; MQ2Nav.dll, etc) from the processes' scan in question.
I found dis years ago at the start of aradune

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider

[blocklist] <file path>
[system] <file path>
[user] <file path>

This still doesn't mean they flagging showeq users and suspending them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have to admit this is all pretty funny to me. People begged for tougher enforcement and this is what they got. People always want harm to others until it comes to them.
I support the stepped up enforcement even if I think the ambiguity is foolish.

• 1Like

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty fine with them going after MQ use, MQ is not a positive force in EQ and never really has been. Some uses of it, particularly on live by solitary boxers, is probably near-harmless and lets a bunch of boomers who can't get groups keep playing. I think there's a lot of people who never would have touched MQ if they hadn't lived through 2011-2021 or so, when DPG regularly ignored extremely blatant MQ use (including heavy use on TLPs to secure wins on contested content), at a certain point it becomes like steroids in baseball. If the MVP and the World Series champions are all cheating, it gets stupid for you to die on the hill of not cheating.

What's unfortunate is while I've never had any play account suspended/banned (the only banning I've ever eaten was for buying an account), I know people that I trust absolutely, who quit using MQ after the big monthly waves started in January, who have been continually hit again and again. It kinda feels like the system is broken, and I don't know what the incentive is to "stop cheating" if you continually get suspended monthly after 7+ months of going clean. Like if the argument is any MQ use should be an instant ban...okay, then why didn't they do that? Why do the suspensions at all? If you suspend people for it and let them come back, you ought give them an opportunity to reform..just arbitrarily re-suspending them until they escalate into bannings seems dumb to me.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pretty fine with them going after MQ use, MQ is not a positive force in EQ and never really has been. Some uses of it, particularly on live by solitary boxers, is probably near-harmless and lets a bunch of boomers who can't get groups keep playing. I think there's a lot of people who never would have touched MQ if they hadn't lived through 2011-2021 or so, when DPG regularly ignored extremely blatant MQ use (including heavy use on TLPs to secure wins on contested content), at a certain point it becomes like steroids in baseball. If the MVP and the World Series champions are all cheating, it gets stupid for you to die on the hill of not cheating.

What's unfortunate is while I've never had any play account suspended/banned (the only banning I've ever eaten was for buying an account), I know people that I trust absolutely, who quit using MQ after the big monthly waves started in January, who have been continually hit again and again. It kinda feels like the system is broken, and I don't know what the incentive is to "stop cheating" if you continually get suspended monthly after 7+ months of going clean. Like if the argument is any MQ use should be an instant ban...okay, then why didn't they do that? Why do the suspensions at all? If you suspend people for it and let them come back, you ought give them an opportunity to reform..just arbitrarily re-suspending them until they escalate into bannings seems dumb to me.
Seems like a lot of words when you could’ve just written

“‘MAN I DINDU NUFFIN”

• 2Imbecile
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I like them banning people for cheating. I don't like that they didn't give a warning first that they will ban for it after ignoring it for 10 years. Its the same as blizz suddenly banning for honorbuddy back in the day, they ignored it for literally 5 years to the point where it became pretty common, then banned when it was onnly their innaction for so long that made mmost people thinnnk it was ok.