EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just sipping my energy drink this morning, and browsing random threads here on FoH and clicked on this one. Now, I'm considering getting into this as I haven't been into an MMO in a few months. Lol. Went most of 2021 on Aradune Luclin - OoW before burning out. I played EQ2 at launch but didn't make it to even the first expansion.

I remember back in the day people getting to a spot they wanted to take a screenshot, turning up all the graphics, and then taking the screenshot but they couldn't move because no one's computer could handle the full graphics. Lol. This should be interesting. I played a Coercer back then, and I enjoyed that there were instances, and also the normal dungeon grind with respawn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'll probably be around on this one poking around.

Itemization has gotten a lot better since the first three TLE's before this one. There's still some shit items that should be good, but it's fine.

Class balance isn't too bad - raid content is really easy until you get into the later expansions. Bots were clearing everything with two groups until ROK. Don't expect a lot of difficulty if you like to run around with the best gear/spells/setups.

The free trade idea behind this is a mistake if you ask me, on the current PVP tle, the chinese are selling entire armor sets for around $50, I think it's like $300 if you want a full best in slot set (jewelry, them logging in and doing the quests like soulfire). That's with a population of about 500.

My guild on the last one finally cleared all of SF for the first time on a TLE, we got down Yael and 4Rune Theer. The population is definitely there until about SF/DOV. But it ultimately depends on how hard they hamfist changes, and fail to address issues. They have set bonuses back, addressed some class issues recently, and the itemization scheme was finally fixed to not let two+ expansion old gear be best in slot. There is also a itemization dev, I have decent hopes this one will be the best yet; which isn't saying much.

Also avatars are in the game in EOF, with a one day respawn timer. So, if that interests you/gets your nostalgia cock buzzing it's in game.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Just a little over 5 weeks out until the server opens. I am so ready. I keep messing around on Kaladim doing heritage quests and such just to remember where everything is and what to do, but in the back of my head I am like why am I doing this when its all going to be for nothing in 5 weeks from now lol.

Out of all of the classes I have tried, I definitely prefer the scout archetype over the other three. The other archetypes aren't bad necessarily. The scouts just play more to my playstyle.

The one class that really boggles my mind on how anybody plays it is the Guardian, and the funny thing is, that was one of my mains back in the day on EQ2. I tried playing one again on Kaladim recently, and omg the lack of damage was insane. I was doing a barbarian guardian in Frostfang Sea (New Halas), and at level 4 they sent me to light the signal fire. Two heroic orcs spawn that you are supposed to kill for that quest, and they literally killed me lol. I didn't have enough damage output to kill a solo quest line. I tried a few times with the exact same result each time. Then I went and hired a mercenary which instantly put them in their place. Anybody that intends to main a guardian, make friends early.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had a Gnome Brawler and a Druid that I remember I tried to box back in the day and was bad at it.

No idea what I’ll do this time around. Haven’t played since original launch. I remember there were houses or apartments and I never got into the crafting of shit for them?

I wanna group a lot and grind mindlessly while bullshitting in group chat or discord. That’s my goal.

hEKK

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've done Stormhold and Kaladim.

Here's my advice:
- If you want to Krono farm, play a necromancer. Remember - this is a free trade server, so you'll be able to trade any item for Krono. By far, the most broken class in classic up until EoF for soloing content and selling rewards. You can just farm instances, or special open world contested NPCs where you are gated by the people that are present in the zone.
Depending on the NPCs you kill, some items can sell for up to 3kr. There's a few hidden proc items. You can see their exact chance on Fanbyte EverQuest II :: An EQ2 (EQII) Community, Wiki, and Database Site as they were provided a full copy of the games' database including treasure trails from 2009 (if you have a contact that can leak the raw data they got, PLEASE let me know lmao)

- If beastlords are in on launch, just play them. Their dps is stupidly powerful and will be overtuned like it always is.
The playerbase may clamor for them to be in on launch and you might see the devs cave to get a few people to play.

- Raiding is pointless outside of getting your prismatic done or getting optional fabled tier items to drop. With how itemization is set up, most stats aren't helpful anyways aside from primary stat. Fabled items can also drop off of specific soloable heroic content (Manticore Terror Lord among others) so aside from being the 'first to do it', it isn't worth doing. The content is braindead easy that you'll not enjoy yourself anyways.

- Avoid doing crafting outside of consumables. Not only is it stupidly easy to craft (They sell p2w pots that instantly complete combines for the next hour), but it's a money sink. Alchemist is probably the most profitable, followed by woodworker, then jeweler, then sage. Everyone needs potions and expert spells - and they all tip far too generousl. Jeweler proc rings are BIS through all content.

- Let some other sucker do weaponsmith and armorer and reap their benefits. You'll only have to do that once.

- The only realistically useful Heritage quests are

* Jboots
* Screaming Mace
* Manastone (skip if necro)
* Shiny Brass Shield/Bauble
* Flowing Black Silk Sash
* Efreeti Boots

Everything else can be ignored since there's no point in completing them (except maybe if they do the Kaladim item token idea here, too)

- If this is your first time playing EQ2, do yourself a solid and download Drums (the UI mod) and install the optional EQ2Map package. It'll save you a lot of headache on knowing where shit is, and will provide useful tools like click to cure, auto harvest on click among others.

- You can instantly level a guild to 25 or so by /allaccess claim'ing the pack of heritage crates. They didn't fix this on previous TLE servers and I doubt they'll fix it here. You get items you can't obtain any other way through that window. It's dumb.

- If you're doing crafting, the instant crafting completion potions are tradable and can be sold on the broker. It's dumb.

- Ignore the above info and do what you want. EQ2 is a fun game if you just play it and not spend a dime. Don't expect a challenge. Expect mindless grinding and a shit ton of boring quests. So basically EQ1 with a default WoW UI.
What items do people sel
I've done Stormhold and Kaladim.

Here's my advice:
- If you want to Krono farm, play a necromancer. Remember - this is a free trade server, so you'll be able to trade any item for Krono. By far, the most broken class in classic up until EoF for soloing content and selling rewards. You can just farm instances, or special open world contested NPCs where you are gated by the people that are present in the zone.
Depending on the NPCs you kill, some items can sell for up to 3kr. There's a few hidden proc items. You can see their exact chance on Fanbyte EverQuest II :: An EQ2 (EQII) Community, Wiki, and Database Site as they were provided a full copy of the games' database including treasure trails from 2009 (if you have a contact that can leak the raw data they got, PLEASE let me know lmao)

- If beastlords are in on launch, just play them. Their dps is stupidly powerful and will be overtuned like it always is.
The playerbase may clamor for them to be in on launch and you might see the devs cave to get a few people to play.

- Raiding is pointless outside of getting your prismatic done or getting optional fabled tier items to drop. With how itemization is set up, most stats aren't helpful anyways aside from primary stat. Fabled items can also drop off of specific soloable heroic content (Manticore Terror Lord among others) so aside from being the 'first to do it', it isn't worth doing. The content is braindead easy that you'll not enjoy yourself anyways.

- Avoid doing crafting outside of consumables. Not only is it stupidly easy to craft (They sell p2w pots that instantly complete combines for the next hour), but it's a money sink. Alchemist is probably the most profitable, followed by woodworker, then jeweler, then sage. Everyone needs potions and expert spells - and they all tip far too generousl. Jeweler proc rings are BIS through all content.

- Let some other sucker do weaponsmith and armorer and reap their benefits. You'll only have to do that once.

- The only realistically useful Heritage quests are

* Jboots
* Screaming Mace
* Manastone (skip if necro)
* Shiny Brass Shield/Bauble
* Flowing Black Silk Sash
* Efreeti Boots

Everything else can be ignored since there's no point in completing them (except maybe if they do the Kaladim item token idea here, too)

- If this is your first time playing EQ2, do yourself a solid and download Drums (the UI mod) and install the optional EQ2Map package. It'll save you a lot of headache on knowing where shit is, and will provide useful tools like click to cure, auto harvest on click among others.

- You can instantly level a guild to 25 or so by /allaccess claim'ing the pack of heritage crates. They didn't fix this on previous TLE servers and I doubt they'll fix it here. You get items you can't obtain any other way through that window. It's dumb.

- If you're doing crafting, the instant crafting completion potions are tradable and can be sold on the broker. It's dumb.

- Ignore the above info and do what you want. EQ2 is a fun game if you just play it and not spend a dime. Don't expect a challenge. Expect mindless grinding and a shit ton of boring quests. So basically EQ1 with a default WoW UI.
I haven't played eq2 since nagafen was in TSO. What should I box with a necro if I just want to farm? Another summoner? I don't even remember what sells besides masters.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Been doing sample runs in EQ, and EQ2, pre TLP/TLE and decided to just take the easy route, and play EQ2. Made a new account, bought a years sub, and have my UI dialed, so now I just wait. Looking forward to doing some things I missed/skipped years ago, and basically chilling out.

Main will be either SK, Necro, or Inquisitor. Have done SK to 100 when that was cap, so leaning toward Necro, but damn Inquisitor is so much fun.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Is there any way to play this on a 4k display without it looking worse than it already does?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there any kind of class tier list for tle or does it change through each xpac? Or is the content so easy it doesn't matter much.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Is there any kind of class tier list for tle or does it change through each xpac? Or is the content so easy it doesn't matter much.

Every class can basically solo everything except Heroic content or raids, some do it much better than others.

What are your goals, and your playstyle?

Solo primarily, just a casual stroll in the park: Any class play what you like.

Solo primarily, WTFPWN groups of yellow ^^ & ^^^: Shadowknight or well geared Inquisitor

Solo primarily, God mode: Necromancer

Raid MT: Guardian (painful to solo but can do it for leveling)

Raid OT: Monk

Honestly iirc everyone other than warden and ranger/assassin had a place in most raids. You can raid with then, but they don't bring much to the table as far as buffs/debuffs. It's been a long time since I raided in EQ2, as the game is so much better as a solo wander fest. I am sure there is someone here that can give you more specific insights to raid comp.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's interesting cuz it was the opposite of the feedback i got when i tried retail months ago. Assassins were top dps where swash/brig dps was bad and you only wanted one for the debuffs. I really only like playing a melee dps or a melee tank that can off spec dps. Thats why I was thinking maybe a berserker. They made too many classes for this game.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
That's interesting cuz it was the opposite of the feedback i got when i tried retail months ago. Assassins were top dps where swash/brig dps was bad and you only wanted one for the debuffs. I really only like playing a melee dps or a melee tank that can off spec dps. Thats why I was thinking maybe a berserker. They made too many classes for this game.
The different between which classes are great and horrible differs based on what era you are in from what I hear. For instance, I've been told that Bruiser is a complete dumpster fire in classic, but at some point much later on, they come in to their own.

If it was me, I would just pick a class that you enjoy playing (go try them all out on the Kaladim server to at least level 20 before you decide). If you don't like playing the class, it wont matter how awesome they are because in the end, you will stop playing it due to not liking the class.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does free trade on this server mean instances, and not shared dungeons are going to be the new hotness?

Edit: NM Heard this was a Mischief type ruleset, not just free trade. Lame.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Buddy and I are probably going to go hard on this when it releases. We have a ton of nostalgia for EQ2.

Anyhow, he's pretty sure he's going to play Conjuror. So, I was thinking that Illusionist and Necro would make the best duo partner. I'm leaning toward Illusionist for longevity, but Necro might be more fun. Anyone have any thoughts on which makes the better duo partner for Conj?

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Buddy and I are probably going to go hard on this when it releases. We have a ton of nostalgia for EQ2.

Anyhow, he's pretty sure he's going to play Conjuror. So, I was thinking that Illusionist and Necro would make the best duo partner. I'm leaning toward Illusionist for longevity, but Necro might be more fun. Anyone have any thoughts on which makes the better duo partner for Conj?
Necro by far for launch. It's piss easy to level a character up in classic & DoF. Just play Necro on launch, you won't regret it.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm going swash, they look more fun to play than an assassin and they can tank in a pinch.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Here is the FAQ they posted for the Varsoon server.

Varsoon will be going live on May 24, 2022 and, as promised, here are all the details you've been craving to know more about and an FAQ.

What's Happening on Varsoon?

Varsoon is a Time-Locked Expansion (TLE) server where expansions unlock automatically. This server will be very similar to the Kaladim TLE except that Varsoon will also be a Free-Trade server. Which means items that are normally heirloom, will be able to be traded with other players.

Content Unlocks Every 16 Weeks

Expansions will unlock approximately every 16 weeks, except for Desert of Flames, which will be 12 weeks. That means you'll experience 16 weeks of classic EverQuest II, 12 weeks of Desert of Flames, 16 weeks of Kingdom of Sky, and so on. Any content that was released in between expansions, including GU and Adventure Pack content, will be released 8 weeks after its corresponding expansion has been released. For example, 8 weeks after Kingdom of Sky is released, you’ll have access to Fallen Dynasty. Desert of Flames will receive Hunter’s Quests and items approximately 6 weeks after release.

Itemization

Items have been adjusted down to better fit the server's progression. Reuse and Casting Speed are being reduced on items through the progression. Ability Mod has been increased in many places.

Return of the Hoods

The hoods and villages will be open for Varsoon, like Big Bend, Longshadow Alley, the Baubleshire and Nettleville. Quest content in these villages will remain changed, but the hoods themselves will be there to access and reminisce.

Familiars

Familiars have also been deemed "out of progression," and will not drop on Varsoon. They will not be available for purchase on the server.

All Access Membership Required

Like other progression and special ruleset servers, you’ll need an All Access Membership to access Varsoon. All Access also includes other great benefits, like 10% off most Marketplace purchases, and a claimable 500 DBC grant each month! You can learn more about membership here.

F.A.Q.
Q: What is a Time Locked Expansion server?

A: A TLE server has a special ruleset that allows players to revisit exciting adventures from previous eras of EverQuest II, starting with original launch content. Every 12 to 16 weeks, content from the next expansion will unlock allowing progression through much of the original game content over time.

Q: Who can play on a TLE server?
A: All Access Membership is required to create characters and play on the Varsoon server.

Q: When will new content be unlocked on the server?
A: Every approximately 16 weeks, a new expansion and its associated content will unlock on the server. Adventure packs such as the Fallen Dynasty will be released 8 weeks into the applicable expansion. Hunter’s Coins and items will be included for all content packs and will also be mid-progression content. Desert of Flames will be 12 weeks and 6 weeks for similar unlocks.

Q: What Races and Classes will be available at launch?
A: All races will be available on Varsoon at launch!
The Channeler and Beastlord classes will not be available for play on Varsoon. These classes have been deemed "Out of Progression" for the beginning of the server and will be made available at their original expansion releases. Recipe scrolls, spell drops for these classes have not been removed due to them being contained in "global" systems.

Q: Can I transfer my character to Varsoon?
A: No transfers will be available to or from Varsoon.

Q: What Starting Areas will be available?
A: The starting areas will be Outpost of the Overlord and Queen’s Colony on the original Isle of Refuge. Darklight Wood and Frostfang Sea are available via the travel bells but not as places where you can start a new character. Timorous Deep and Greater Faydark will not be available until those expansions are released.

Q: Will experience values be tuned for Varsoon?
A: Experience and tradeskill experience values will match live servers.

Q: Will Spell Research be available on Varsoon?
A: With the launch of Varsoon, spell research will be made available. However, spell research will be capped at Master.

Q: What will be available for purchase in the Marketplace?
A: The majority of the Marketplace will be available at launch, except for a few items that will be locked behind future expansions.

Q: Will Guildhalls be available?
A: Guildhalls will not be made available at launch but will be made available with Rise of Kunark.

Q: Will we be able to leap or fly on Varsoon?
A: Leaping and flying will be restricted to their content expansions. Leaping will appear during Rise of Kunark, and flying will appear during Destiny of Velious.

Q: Can I use my /claim items?
A: Claim items will be restricted based on expansion, and, in some cases, may never be made available to preserve the progression of the server.

Q: What will be available for Tradeskills?
A: Crafted gear has had its progression re-balanced in past and will remain in its current progression.

Q: Can I use a Mercenary?
A: The Mercenary feature will not be available.

Q: Will Familiars be available on Varsoon?
A: Familiars have been deemed "Out of Progression" for Varsoon and will not be available.

Q: Will we be able to /house to travel on Varsoon?
A: Using /house has been restricted to be within the accessor for housing and will no longer be available from anywhere.

Q: Will there only be ground mounts and will they have reduced ground speed?
A: The highest mount speed on these servers is set at 29% at server launch and increases with each expansion.

Q: Will veteran rewards be available on Varsoon?
A: Veteran Rewards, Veteran experience bonuses, and the Recruit-a-Friend program will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will the Loyalty System be available on Varsoon?
A: Loyalty System and daily quests will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will Legendary, Fabled and Mythical crits be available on Varsoon?
A: Legendary, Fabled and Mythical crits will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will dungeon finder be available on Varsoon?
A: No dungeon finder will be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will Level Agnostic Dungeons be available on Varsoon?
A: Level Agnostic Dungeons will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will Reforging and tradeskill apprentices be available on Varsoon?
A: Reforging and tradeskill apprentices will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will dropped coin be restricted on Varsoon?
A: Dropped coin has been returned to launch levels of coin gain.

Q: Will there be a queuing system at the launch of Varsoon?
A: An existing queue system for logging in will be in place on May 24th.

Q: Will the heritage merchant and items be available on Varsoon?
A: The Heritage Merchant and its items will not be available on Varsoon.

• 1Like

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I've never played EQ2, maybe I'll give this a go and see if I enjoy it.

• 1Solidarity

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
For those looking for class info, ran across this guys videos today. He goes over the basics for each class in the classic era. Fighter vid below, but he also has a priest series on his channel and sounds like he intends to do mage + scout soon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Man, EQ2's graphics and art have not held up well.

Is this TLP going to be a true Classic experience, for the most part? Or will the cities and what not be all different? I haven't played in, probably 11 years.