EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Dungeon grinding with xp pots is the only way to play this game. Solo questing is so bad. Thundering Steppes quests feel like they were thrown together in a weekend.

The disparity is amazing. With dual pots running, you can either get say 2% exp by handing in a quest that took you 15 minutes of running around, or get almost 10% by killing one mob in a good dungeon group.

A lot of the game is messy like that. When they took the AA system from EQ1 and implemented it, you could hit your AA cap in 1 day even on a TLE server.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fired this up, Iksar SK in Neriak (Darklight Woods?)

Had a really tough choice between that and Sarnak / Gorowyn. Curious about that place since it's in later EQ1 and I'd like to compare. Had to be Iksar though. I'll make my way there later I guess.

I like that this is attached to EQ and has no fee. Might as well check it out while I have an EQ sub. I don't think it looks as terrible as others are saying, but it's definitely dated and doesn't have the immersiveness of EQ1. Cranked it up to Extreme graphics and this laptop is handling it with like 45 FPS, so that's cool.

I'll do more with this later. Excited to SK it up. If anyone has an SK twink weapon to send me (or anything really), name is Rajaah on Maj Dul. A sweet weapon would be rad. Dunno if this game has level reqs on everything, would probably guess that it does.

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Fired this up, Iksar SK in Neriak (Darklight Woods?)

Had a really tough choice between that and Sarnak / Gorowyn. Curious about that place since it's in later EQ1 and I'd like to compare. Had to be Iksar though. I'll make my way there later I guess.

I like that this is attached to EQ and has no fee. Might as well check it out while I have an EQ sub. I don't think it looks as terrible as others are saying, but it's definitely dated and doesn't have the immersiveness of EQ1. Cranked it up to Extreme graphics and this laptop is handling it with like 45 FPS, so that's cool.

I'll do more with this later. Excited to SK it up. If anyone has an SK twink weapon to send me (or anything really), name is Rajaah on Maj Dul. A sweet weapon would be rad. Dunno if this game has level reqs on everything, would probably guess that it does.

Gorowyn isn't unlocked until later expansions, though they did unlock all races for this, though you have to pay up for some of them.

• 1Like

kekzilla

Trakanon Raider
Just started this up. Is necro really this OP the entire time? Wanted to play a monk for the invis/FD (10s cooldown) and run through dungeons to kill bosses (someone told me I can) and collect shinies but the monk can barely handle 2 regular mobs and the necro is just mowing everything down. This is under LVL 10 so no idea what to expect later. Just prefer melee and like invis/FD but maybe not if the power gap is always like that. Was hoping monk is more gear dependent but no idea.

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
If your intention is to kill bosses then necro all the way. Its not even close. Monk wont be able to do anything close to that.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If your intention is to kill bosses then necro all the way. Its not even close. Monk wont be able to do anything close to that.

How's SK for that?

I dunno about boss-killing, really just want to see the zones.

Is Kerafyrm in this as like a fight-able raid boss? Is the story that he wrecked the world, or was it the Plane of Time shenanigans? I think I even read speculation somewhere about the Muramites being the thing that wrecked the EQ2 world. Haven't read any lore stuff on this since like 2004 though.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
How's SK for that?

I dunno about boss-killing, really just want to see the zones.

Is Kerafyrm in this as like a fight-able raid boss? Is the story that he wrecked the world, or was it the Plane of Time shenanigans? I think I even read speculation somewhere about the Muramites being the thing that wrecked the EQ2 world. Haven't read any lore stuff on this since like 2004 though.
Since you're playing on a non-TLE server and will have access to mercs + aa's you should be able to do basically any group level content solo with SK without any real issue.

RE: Lore I do recall that EQ2 is set on the timeline where the reset that happens in PoP doesn't take place... so its the result of killing Quarm etc IIRC.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Opening day was bumpy as fuck, but I have to say that I am having a blast on this server. I got my dirge to 50 the first weekend, and ended up getting tailoring up to 43. Now I'm just working on dungeon grinding for gear, and making krono.

Really glad I decided to skip EQ1 TLP this season and go EQ2.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fired this up last night, and honestly, I have no idea how anyone can play it. I remember playing EQ2 on launch day, think I lasted a month then bailed. Came back to it when they released the Fae and had a great time as a Fae Dirge (it was like playing FF14 currently as a new player), but it was pretty bad compared to everything else back then. Now? I can only see ppl playing for some sense of nostalgia, there is nothing enticing about the game at all vs. anything else out currently. Too bad they couldn't just speed up auto-atk, even its dmg was minor, just having your character be doing something between firing off the dozens of skills would be nice. Hell, having auto-atk be 3x faster would allow the game to get rid of 1/3 of class skills at the least.

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Fired this up last night, and honestly, I have no idea how anyone can play it. I remember playing EQ2 on launch day, think I lasted a month then bailed. Came back to it when they released the Fae and had a great time as a Fae Dirge (it was like playing FF14 currently as a new player), but it was pretty bad compared to everything else back then. Now? I can only see ppl playing for some sense of nostalgia, there is nothing enticing about the game at all vs. anything else out currently. Too bad they couldn't just speed up auto-atk, even its dmg was minor, just having your character be doing something between firing off the dozens of skills would be nice. Hell, having auto-atk be 3x faster would allow the game to get rid of 1/3 of class skills at the least.
The engine is awful, at least visually. It's held up terribly. The game has always felt a little "off". The animations, the player movement, the abilities. I don't know - I can get some of the nostalgia, but I thought I'd be interested in playing this again on a TLE, I was wrong.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Well DBG found a way to fuck it up yet again. In their infinite wisdom, they took experience vials out of the marketplace. Fucking idiots. Now there's nothing to do at level 50 once you've got all the quests and raids done.

Why are these people so fucking retarded? Serious question. I don't get what is wrong with the people that run these games. Time after time, they make the stupidest decissions ever. It's almost like someone working there just literally wants the company to go broke. Fucking hell.

And, on top of everything, these people are just the most unprofessional fucks in the world. How do they even have a functioning company that makes money anymore? If you post anything other than ass kissing on their forums, you get in trouble. If you discuss anything that they do in the discord, they kick you out. I mean seriously. Is the company ran by 9 year olds? No company in the world could be ran the way that SoE, DBG, DPG, what-ever-the-fuck-they-call-themselves-today runs things and still make a profit. Only them. ONLY THEM. WHY?

Fucking hell.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Well DBG found a way to fuck it up yet again. In their infinite wisdom, they took experience vials out of the marketplace. Fucking idiots. Now there's nothing to do at level 50 once you've got all the quests and raids done.

Why is this a bad thing? Why would you want XP pots at max level?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Why is this a bad thing? Why would you want XP pots at max level?
To level up alts quickly. Or instantly hit 60 on DoF launch. Etc.

These aren't normal XP potions. They're potions that fill up 60% of adventure XP at max level into a 'vial'.

Once you hit 200,000 'stored' XP you can claim a tradable item, which you can sell them on the broker, or use on your other characters.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Oh okay. Yeah those should never have been in the game to begin with. Wtf?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't mind that if it was BoA. A lot of times people want you on one character over another for xp groups, so being able to squirt some xp into a shared pool for your alts is an interesting idea. Fuck selling / trading it to other people though.

• 1Like

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
I don't know why they're not fine with those, but seem to be ok with potion stacking and people gaining 49 levels a few hours after opening...

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I don't know why they're not fine with those, but seem to be ok with potion stacking and people gaining 49 levels a few hours after opening...
Cuts into consumable / durable purchases (Varsoon pack, percentage increase XP pots) if I had to guess.

Why would you pay $25 for a pack of 3 Vit pots that isn't guaranteed to get you to 50, when you could pay for 2 Kronos and get to 48?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Cuts into consumable / durable purchases (Varsoon pack, percentage increase XP pots) if I had to guess.

Why would you pay $25 for a pack of 3 Vit pots that isn't guaranteed to get you to 50, when you could pay for 2 Kronos and get to 48?
I'd be willing to bet that is exactly what is going on. Anytime they do something that makes absolutely no fucking sense, it ends up having something to do with money. A four hour experience potion isn't going to get you even close to 200,000 experience that you get from a filled experience vial.

They can make a hell of a lot more money on people buying personal experience potions and group experience potions to level up than they can on people buying experience vials. It has zero to do with slowing down progression because they are more than happy to sell you single and group experience potions that stack up to 250% experience bonus. They people on their forums saying this is about slowing progression on a new TLE server are tools.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Has EQ ever tried a "hardcore" TLE? (Like 3 deaths total or character is done)

I don't think Eq2 ever has, that might be something to try as well?

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Has EQ ever tried a "hardcore" TLE? (Like 3 deaths total or character is done)

I don't think Eq2 ever has, that might be something to try as well?
They did right around new years 2003/2004 called the Discord server.

Permadeath server. When you dinged level 6 you were flagged for open pvp, even from the same race, with full corpse looting.

It was set up as a competition where you got points for killing anyone within a few levels of you. Most of the people kept to level 20ish and just farmed lowbies. The server itself was shut down after only three weeks because my guild literally destroyed it. 20 ish people max at prime time. There was no /anon or roleplay so you could load up your friends list with targets and just hunt them down. I killed any druid or wizard when they hit level 6 so I could be the only person on the server with group teleports. Was hilarious to port a group into misty thicket and just /ooc Flee Mortals! and watch everyone instantly log off or run for the city gates. My buddy ended up winning the thing as a 45 cleric, I was 2nd highest level as a 44 druid and let him murder me as the server was closing down so he could secure the win. The top 6 were all supposed to have items named after their characters added to the game. They said even though the 45 cleric had the most points he was disqualified because his name was considered a title since he was named Apostle Pete.

Anytime I see people clamoring for a pvp TLP I just want them to post all the forum screaming about how truly horrible an experience it was for 99.9% of the people on Discord.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users