EQ2002: The Better Planes of Power - PoP-Locked, Single Box EQ

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Hey folks,

It's been a while since I had an EverQuest itch, let alone any sort of itch for EverQuest.

I've been working on a new EverQuest server lately. It is something that I feel that combines the best of old, and new, and shoves them into a unique experience.
I'd like to share with you all what I have been working on, and would appreciate some feedback regarding the concept.

What is EQ2002/BetterEQ?

EverQuest 2002: The Better Planes of Power is a new server similar to The Al'Kabor Project or Project2002 - but instead of recreating the era as it was in to a tee, I am allowing modern conveniences that are seen in servers such as Phinigel to exist.
Consider it a server that is aiming to recreate the feeling of 2002 EverQuest, but with modern conveniences that do not compromise the experience such as instancing, IP limits, mercenaries (at 10% effectiveness), the extended target window, and aggro meters.
One thing that will be removed, however, is the resting feature from modern EQ. This is the only feature I feel that is too extreme to keep in. The lack of resting would only

Why do we need this? What separates the server from Phinigel and what separates the server from TAKP/P2002?

Phinigel does not recreate the era and mechanics close enough that you would find the experience enjoyable or challenging, but TAKP/P2002's clients, 3-boxing limit, and contested environments leave out the casual player that just wants to play EverQuest through rose-tinted glasses using a single character.
To come to these conclusions, I ask myself, "is this a game I would like to play?" and make changes based on that. In a traditional Dungeons and Dragons sense, it is up to your game master to create the world and for you to embrace the experience within.

Policies, Rules and Regulations
  • Experience gain will be close, or similar, to the P99 rate of experience. The reason for this is the modern benefits of being able to progress all the time.

• MacroQuest/Cheating/Automation is high treason. You will be executed for using exploits of any kind if found out. By executed, I mean de-leveled to 1 with all your gear nuked. There won't be punishments for guild drama as every raid zone will eventually be instanced. As such, there will be little rule enforcement outside of this.

• Corpse runs will be disabled, however, res effects will be applied for full duration upon death above level 30 or higher, or rez - additionally, your mana pool and endurance pool will be set to 0 if level 30 or higher. I realize you all have lives, and some of you wives. Medding for 5 minutes won't kill you.

• You choose when to have an experience bonus via the once-per-day 30 minute experience buff, located under your AAs. When this is depleted, you have to gain experience the old way for 24 hours.

• The Vet AA that returns you to guild lobby functions once per day, and takes you to PoK; One of the most frustrating functions of classic EverQuest is that you will end up getting left behind on a raid or group as a melee, with no port out. This is also a great way of getting a level 1 to PoK to get a mercenary.

• Mercenaries are enabled, however, they have 10% of the stats they normally do on live. This is in order to re-balance mercenaries and provide a method for soloing on melee classes. Or maybe you just need to fill a spot in your group; I am not your dad, I don't tell you what to do. There is a single mercenary vendor in PoK near the Main Bank. If you prefer a chick to follow you around, there's one at the Dark Bank, because girls are edgy.

• High ZEM (zone experience modifier) zones, such as any zone that has a ZEM over 110, are now set to 110. This is to allow for variety in dungeon crawls and to prevent the situation where Highkeep is the only zone to play in.

• IP limit of 1 character. This is to ensure you don't get carpal tunnel or frustration from boxing multiple characters. Unless you play a bard on P99, then you have other issues. Strictly speaking, this is one of the defining features of the server.

• Instancing. We're all adults now, I don't think there is/was a person who used to play EverQuest that is still in highschool/college unless they saw their dad playing it at one point. Camping/socking NPCs is something I would like to keep in the past.

• IP exemptions will not be handed out until the server is more established. I don't care that your mother/father/gentleman/wife/dog wants to play EverQuest, they can play it later.

• All zones have been returned to their classic variants except for the Bazaar and Arena. This is just, in general, a good idea and adds to the experience. This includes highkeep.

• The spells file used on this server is from the latest Rain of Fear client, in order to provide modern focus/worn support and general gameplay enhancements. In addition, spells from later eras, such as Salve and Discs are in. There are optional text file downloads that you may have to perform to play this server, more information in the MOTD when you log in.

• Tradeskills function like live. Not much to say here. Less carpal tunnel.

• Extended Target / Threat Meter is in.
Feedback
I would like to hear feedback, so please post in this topic with your experiences or if you have any suggestions. I am open to suggestions but very concrete on this plan for the game server.

Testing

The current testing period is open with occasional patches scheduled for the AM.

Discord Chat Server
https://discord.gg/HDrfnaG

Special thanks
Lastly, I would like to give thanks to the EQEmulator, PEQ and TAKP team and contributors for making this possible and for maintaining the codebase for all of these years. The emulator is in a shape it's never been before, and it's all thanks to you guys.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Special notes for the FOH forums:

You guys are probably going to have no idea what a 'ROF2 client' is or how to install it, so here's a little bit of instructions on how to get the client up and running:

Rain of Fear 2 Client is required to play here. Titanium and TAKP clients will not work. Neither will Underfoot.

All in One solution:

For those of you that are having issues finding the appropriate client, a full install of the game client, with the latest patch for my server applied, is available here:

Note, the below instructions are an alternate way if the first link does not work for you.

Download + Extract the multiple client parts:

zip1.zip
zip2.zip
zip3.zip
zip4.zip
zip5.zip
zip6.zip
zip7.zip
zip8.zip
zip9.zip
zip10.zip

There will be a few missing files from this download. You'll need a separate link below after extracting the client:

eq2002files_v2.zip

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I have completed my internal checks on content a bit earlier than anticipated, so the open testing is open a bit earlier. If you have RoF2 installed, you can log in now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
my_body_is_ready.png

• 1Like

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hi Secrets. I know you like to bounce from project to project. Is this a project that you will be seeing through long term?

I have no complaints about what I see so far.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Hi Secrets. I know you like to bounce from project to project. Is this a project that you will be seeing through long term?

I have no complaints about what I see so far.

I bounced to project to project because I didn't know what I wanted out of this community. I understand now what I want out of this hobby. EverQuest is very special to me - far more than anyone else knows. Akkadius asked me if I was in this long term, and I basically told him what I am telling you now:
I have a job now and don't have time to care about what people think of me - or my server, or anything related to that sort of stuff. So yes, being long term is a goal because one, Rome wasn't built in a day, and two, it'd be a testament to my history if I just settle in and do one thing instead of being all over the place.

Historically, I didn't have a job, only a hobby and very little income. With that territory comes the traditional emotional bullshit that also comes with having too much free time.
I won't lie; I was an emotional trainwreck during my mid-late teens and into my adulthood. But ever since gaining responsibilities tacked onto my life, it has molded and shaped me into a responsible man.

Part of regaining that trust is pushing on against criticism and all the odds. That's not the goal or scope of this project, but it's how I see my history and how I am approaching this project.

I hope that answers your question.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Well it is just p99 but with more expansions. So it could be the biggest server because people like legit eq, and they like to single box. P99 is proof. But p99 is corrupt and run by dickbags and has the worst raid scene ever because of cockblocking and only has 2 expansions and I don't think plans to go further. With more expansions but 1 character this could be bigger than p99 if you did it all right. Not sure about cockblocking, and I am pretty sure you are a dickbag and still an emotional trainwreck, but hopefully that wont get in the way too much. It really needs an ez install method with the host and spells files already set up, and it needs a custom account creation because as I tried to explain to you before, the eq emu account tool is trash and barely works.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the mercs, and the exp AA and hotzones. I think hardcore snooty nerds could maybe accept the guild lobby aa, but when you use the exp aa in a hotzone, exp is ridiculous. Like 20 levels in an hour ridiculous, or at least that's how it is on PEQ. I would just get rid of the exp aa because if people didn't want to grind, they wouldn't be playing this gimpy 20 year old game in the first place. Also I would get rid of hotzones because all it does is clump people together and make it harder for people who want to go kite or something by themselves. Imo you should just remove both of those and set the global exp rate a bit higher to compensation. That way people can't exploit the AA buff, and people will hunt in any zone they feel like instead of going to all the same boring uber exp spots. I would also change the ZEMs to be more or less the same everywhere, because they just make the game retarded. You have 1000 great exp spots to choose from but every server has people farming nobles and guards in highkeep and all the same golden path spots. If I want to go do Mistmoore or something instead, I shouldn't get a huge exp penalty compared to noobs who just farm highkeep.

As for the mercs, I'm not really sure about that. It could be better but could be worse. People who want a social experience and lots of grouping will see that as an attack on their lifestyle, and even in reality they might have a harder time finding groups because so many people will be just soloing with mercs for some casual luls. It is also bound to be a low population server, at least for a very long time, so finding groups is always a nightmare and having mercs would just make that even harder. Yet at the same time, anyone who wants the solo EQ experience with a helping hand, already has several good servers to choose from. TAKP with 3 boxing, PEQ or Titan with your own entire group or raid all automated, or just all the various ez servers with faster exp and lower hp mobs. I may be wrong but my instinct would be to have mercs nearer full power so people can solo easily without setting up MQ, or just have no mercs at all.

I think it will be a good server whatever you choose though. But I still think my server you made fun of would be better. But I understand that most visionaries struggle to convince the plebby masses.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
There's no hotzones, thankfully - you get to pick the hotzone you want via the buff. Nothing above 110 ZEM exists. For reference, every dungeon is essentially above 110 by default and the change I have made lowers it to 110 ZEM, sans a few lower ones in Velious/Kunark.

Mercenaries are something that I really have always liked the concept of - you have no direct control over their power, but they're far too weak in this state to replace an actual person. The level 10 mercenaries get wrecked by anything higher than one even con. Their purpose is not to replace an actual person, but provide a means to progress when there's no one else around. For reference, the number isn't exactly "10% weaker" - but it's significantly lower than live, as live is tuned to a different era.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Spells file in second post updated. It makes particles work again.

Server should be back up.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure about cockblocking, and I am pretty sure you are a dickbag and still an emotional trainwreck, but hopefully that wont get in the way too much. It really needs an ez install method with the host and spells files already set up, and it needs a custom account creation because as I tried to explain to you before, the eq emu account tool is trash and barely works.

Q qwertyqweqwertwqert have you ever considered that you have such a hard time with basic EQEmu stuff because you're actually functionally retarded?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
How accurate is the database? (mob strength/hp, factions, etc)? p99 accurate or PEQ accurate?

Have you considered a red/pvp version? There is a void out there for a non-boxing/cheating pvp box that goes beyond velious.

The mercs you are going to hvae do still use up xp as a group member would yes? If so, then there would still be a big incentive to replace the weak merc with a real person team mate. I still think the convinience of having mercs and soloing/being able to go afk when you want will lead to 90 percent of this population soloing with their merc.

Do not just give all dungeons blanket 110 zem. I agree 110 should be the max, but the "easier" dungeons need lower or you still will just have everyone going to the easy pull/low risk dungeons. 110 zem is only deserving of caster heavy/tricky/dangerous dungeons like say, Dalnir, upper guk, runnyeye, splitpaw, sirens grotto, etc. High hold keep, Unrest, (all outdoor zone dungeons for that matter) should have lower than 110 zem. Something between 110 zem and whatever zem you are putting outdoor zones at.

a p99 that goes beyond velious to luclin and PoP but in the "spirit" of p99 would be best. I.E. NO bazzar (kills community trading) , NO plane of knowledge (kills vastness of the world and need for specific cities), and entrances to the various planes out in the world (tower of solusek ro zoneline in the back of temple of solusek ro, plane of water zoneline at the bottom of phingels pit in kedge, etc) instead of lame PoP books. This would be the holy grail of servers the community needs. (red version too though..)

Q qwertyqweqwertwqert have you ever considered that you have such a hard time with basic EQEmu stuff because you're actually functionally retarded?
I never had a hard time with it... It just has no password recovery and some accounts are bugged. I am talking about 2 out of about 30 accounts. And PEQs transfer tool doesn't work, it gives an SQL error. You shouldn't comment on this stuff if you have no clue at all. Get a hobby.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Regarding database accuracy:

Project EQ has seen significant improvements of late because they've been importing TAKP data. Remember that half of TAKP's staff is also PEQ staff, so sharing content between projects is frictionless. I'm in charge of TAKP's NPC stats and I haven't been involved with PEQ's database directly beyond sharing data, however if this server became popular I would be motivated to help out. Actually Secrets running this server and 'project hopping' is a large advantage over new guys starting up a PEQ clone in that Secrets can leverage the relationships between the other projects he was associated with. He can just give me some access if my expertise can fix a problem and and be confident that I won't break stuff or cause problems. TAKP would remain my priority however.

• 1Like
Take your own advice bud, I wasn't the one that needed to ask for an EZ install package.
I have played almost every emu server there is. I don't need an easy install package. But the public do. There were a million threads on TAKP asking how to install it, and someone spent months making an installer. Try again?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, unlike most of these shit breathers telling you what to change, I was actually on this server last night and need to report some bugs.

Secrets can you open up PMs, or give me an e-mail please?

Regarding database accuracy:

Project EQ has seen significant improvements of late because they've been importing TAKP data. Remember that half of TAKP's staff is also PEQ staff, so sharing content between projects is frictionless. I'm in charge of TAKP's NPC stats and I haven't been involved with PEQ's database directly beyond sharing data, however if this server became popular I would be motivated to help out. Actually Secrets running this server and 'project hopping' is a large advantage over new guys starting up a PEQ clone in that Secrets can leverage the relationships between the other projects he was associated with. He can just give me some access if my expertise can fix a problem and and be confident that I won't break stuff or cause problems. TAKP would remain my priority however.
Is TAKP dying? Be honest.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have played almost every emu server there is. I don't need an easy install package. But the public do. There were a million threads on TAKP asking how to install it, and someone spent months making an installer. Try again?

It's literally copy pasting 10 folders into 1. If John Q Public can't figure that out, they can go fuck themselves honestly.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Is TAKP dying? Be honest.

What a respectful question. I'll entertain you however.

TAKP will be around for years to come. It doesn't matter how many people play it.

Our population is still kind of low because the team made some bad decisions. Notably: open sourcing it without a release delay and instituting a 3 box limit instead of 2.

We refuse to shill the server. This hurts our population. I can't force users to spread word of mouth. The AK crowd were Mac players so they didn't really hang out on PC gamer boards.

It also amazes me how many people refuse to play on a server without mousewheel zoom, even with all the benefits of an older client.

It's literally copy pasting 10 folders into 1. If John Q Public can't figure that out, they can go fuck themselves honestly.
It is litererlrlyly not. You have to edit the eq host to whatever their server is too, and usually need a custom spells file. That is after downloading and unzipping everything, and you can't just run everquest.exe you have to run the right exe and you have to set it to not patch etc or it patches to live. Then you have to register an eqemu account and usually convert that to whatever server you are playing on. That's one of the reasons why p99 has 1500 people, because you click one thing and run the game. Also some of the slicker servers let you do it all from the eq emu list which is good. You aren't impressing anyone pretending how special you are that you can play a server. You are just missing the point that some people see it as hassle, and some people think that if you can't be bothered to automate the process like some servers do, then whoever is running the server probably doesn't care much and can't get shit done. Nobody is going to invest the huge amount of hours it takes in EQ to level up, on a server that could go offline any day from lack of interest, and is buggy, etc.

What a respectful question. I'll entertain you however.

TAKP will be around for years to come. It doesn't matter how many people play it.

Our population is still kind of low because the team made some bad decisions. Notably: open sourcing it without a release delay and instituting a 3 box limit instead of 2.

We refuse to shill the server. This hurts our population. I can't force users to spread word of mouth. The AK crowd were Mac players so they didn't really hang out on PC gamer boards.

It also amazes me how many people refuse to play on a server without mousewheel zoom, even with all the benefits of an older client.
I think people don't read the title properly and think it is a mac server. I also think the mousewheel is a bigger deal than most people think, playing such an old game already takes some getting used to and compromise, the gimpy client is icing on the cake. When I played it was also really glitchy, didn't like alt tabbing, and lots of QOL stuff missing like no extended target, no turning off environmental sounds, so you have to listen to the annoying crickets chirping in 6bit in a 2 second eternal loop. Also the server was buggy when I tried it. And then the split to p2002 half the population on one server, half on the other. Bad.

I also think word of mouth would have spread more if it was something people really wanted to play, but I don't think it is. It would have been more fun as a soloers or groupers server but it is just like 1 small raid guild and that is it.