EQ2002: The Better Planes of Power - PoP-Locked, Single Box EQ

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It is litererlrlyly not. You have to edit the eq host to whatever their server is too, and usually need a custom spells file. That is after downloading and unzipping everything. Then you have to register an eqemu account and usually convert that to whatever server you are playing on. That's one of the reasons why p99 has 1500 people, because you click one thing and run the game. You aren't impressing anyone pretending how special you are that you can play a server. You are just missing the point that some people see it as hassle, and some people think that if you can't be bothered to automate the process like some servers do, then whoever is running the server probably doesn't care much and can't get shit done. Nobody is going to invest the huge amount of hours it takes in EQ to level up, on a server that could go offline any day from lack of interest, and is buggy, etc.

Wait, are we talking about this server or has your autism derailed this into a general complaint about TAKP? If you're talking about TAKP, then yeah I can see your point as I remember that being a bigger pain to get setup for than a usual EMU server.

This server's setup is just simple copy/pasting of folders, you don't even install the game - host file comes pre-editted for EMU and everything. As far as setup goes this is about as simple as it gets.

No takp is slicker than most because they have their own tools for managing accounts and stuff. They have guild tools and stuff better than live... They also have an installer for mac users. But some servers give you a link to some other servers game files like ez server or something, so then you have to go on their forum and start hunting down what to change the host file to, and then find an updated spells file, and also some game installs try to update eq live so you have to set it to no patch etc. It is no derail, he asked for feedback, my feedback is make it slick like the good servers do it. Especially the ones that get on the eq emu list and you can just click it from there and it updates your game install automatically.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think TAKP would have been better off as a 1 box outlay; the controls are a pain, but they're made worse by how much more challenging it is to box there. That said, I liked playing Al'Kabor a lot, but I think the effort was justified because it was what you needed to do to play on a classic Sony server. It just seems like an intentional roadblock on TAKP.

Think the idea of this server 2002 is great. I've been advocating for a flat-exp setup for a while now - there's no reason why so little of the game should be viable for XPing. Not totally in love with the merc idea, but it will definitely help smooth the experience prior to the pop getting up to critical mass. The work Torrid has done for the DB's on EQMU has gone a really long way towards making fresh servers viable.

Might roll up here and see how it looks.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Think the idea of this server 2002 is great. I've been advocating for a flat-exp setup for a while now - there's no reason why so little of the game should be viable for XPing. Not totally in love with the merc idea, but it will definitely help smooth the experience prior to the pop getting up to critical mass.

Might roll up here and see how it looks.

Agree on the flat exp. I spent wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much time in solb on the naggy server because of this.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
When I played it was also really glitchy, didn't like alt tabbing, and lots of QOL stuff missing like no extended target, no turning off environmental sounds, so you have to listen to the annoying crickets chirping in 6bit in a 2 second eternal loop. Also the server was buggy when I tried it. And then the split to p2002 half the population on one server, half on the other. Bad.

I also think word of mouth would have spread more if it was something people really wanted to play, but I don't think it is. It would have been more fun as a soloers or groupers server but it is just like 1 small raid guild and that is it.

We have at least 3 raiding guilds last I checked.

Alt key sticking and environmental sound volume will be fixed in a future client release. Secrets and Haynar have done some amazing client hacks but it's not ready for users yet. HotKeyNet can be used until then to avoid key sticking. Some of the issues people complain about are just inherent to the client of the era. Blame Sony.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There were a million threads on TAKP asking how to install it, and someone spent months making an installer.
What the fuck are you talking about, TAKP install is a single zip download for both pc and mac. There is no installer and there never needs to be. The only people that have trouble are retards that don't understand directory structure or how to edit a text file. Guess that describes you.

I think TAKP would have been better off as a 1 box outlay;
It should have been. But I liked the old AK better, there was no box limit on that. Some soloed, some ran whole groups. That server was the best. 3 boxing just ruins the server for soloers yet isn't enough for boxer fans.

We have at least 3 raiding guilds last I checked.

Alt key sticking and environmental sound volume will be fixed in a future client release. Secrets and Haynar have done some amazing client hacks but it's not ready for users yet. HotKeyNet can be used until then to avoid key sticking. Some of the issues people complain about are just inherent to the client of the era. Blame Sony.
Seems like a lot of work just for mac players, are there even enough to make it worthwhile? If you made that server with ROF I bet it would have a lot more people by now and development would have been a lot faster.

What the fuck are you talking about, TAKP install is a single zip download for both pc and mac. There is no installer and there never needs to be. The only people that have trouble are retards that don't understand directory structure or how to edit a text file. Guess that describes you.

I am talking about this:
OSX TAKP Launcher

If that doesn't install too then it should, because good servers do.

Why do you rage so hard over nothing? You need to up your meds. Ever thought your dead ass server is because of a low population and dickheads like you?

Also none of what you said is true. TAKP was a nightmare to install for some people. PC players have to find a separate dll that was only on the forums and a bunch of Secrets tweaks that was only on THIS forum and not on takp forum. And even then it didn't work with alt tabbing or any sort of multi desktops. Also Haynars patch didn't exist so you had to get frame limiting tools in the background which fucked up some other programs. And early on you had to hunt around for the right eqmule patch and lots of other shit. And this was all at least a year after the server had been out. For a little screaming fanboy you don't know much about your own server.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
That's not an installer you retard, that just launches the game for you. It's completely optional and just saves your login info and server selection for convenience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I would also like to mention I am not a huge fan of mercenaries, but they are needed evil in a low population game such as EverQuest.

There is nothing fun about waiting for more people to log into a game so you can progress. If the population of this server takes off, mercs will be removed. I am considering 'population taking off' to be over 50 players. That's plenty of people to group with, at that point. Especially when you consider servers like TAKP/P2002 only have about that much players online, given that they allow 3-boxing.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
S Secrets are you on? My char is stuck and needs assistance. please. lol

Yup, just spoke with you - the issue you were having is fixed. There were two problems:

commons_obj.s3d was missing from my install. That has now been fixed.
The ecommons -> commons zoneline is now fixed. There was an errant zoneline placed in the DB at ecommons -> commons, so half of the time you would get into kith, the other half you'd get into west commonlands. I removed the zoneline and you should be good to go now.

The extra required files now have a new home on the link below. This will be always up to date, so if you're not sure if you have the latest, get the latest from the link below:
eq2002files_v4.zip

Additionally, I plan on putting together a full client later tonight for those of you who don't want to download and piece everything together.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
A discord chat server is now active for the server. OOC chat is relayed from discord to this server and back, but only server administration can talk back to players that are in-game.
Additionally, you can talk about the game/server here.

You can join through the following link: Discord

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Are you using the P99 source code? If not, will suck.

Nope - don't have it, and even if I did wouldn't use it. P99 is accurate to the trilogy era, for one. There are too many differences to live (which is similar to 2002-era EverQuest in some ways), and I don't want to make a P99 clone anyways.
Their server also supports only Titanium and doesn't have the flexibility that EQEmu has for scripting purposes. Plus their codebase is a mess. Every time I have gone to help Nilbog it has been "does p99 support x feature?"
P99 does not support instancing or any client feature higher than Titanium. It's not a matter of red tape, it's a matter of practicality.

The EQEmu team has honestly come leaps and bounds, with the help and contributions from people like demonstar and Torven who have recreated an accurate live AC formula, as well as accurate stats for NPCs collected from live. P99 is accurate in its recreation of the nostalgic feel, but that's about all it has done.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can't tell if this is a log issue or an actual game issue, but most of the low level stuff that I'm fighting seems to have 100% accuracy. I haven't seen any misses yet.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can't tell if this is a log issue or an actual game issue, but most of the low level stuff that I'm fighting seems to have 100% accuracy. I haven't seen any misses yet.

That's actually on my list too for things for Secrets to look at as well. Mobs seem to have either a ridiculously high rate of accuracy and/or hit for max damage waaaaay more than they should.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yup, just spoke with you - the issue you were having is fixed. There were two problems:

commons_obj.s3d was missing from my install. That has now been fixed.
The ecommons -> commons zoneline is now fixed. There was an errant zoneline placed in the DB at ecommons -> commons, so half of the time you would get into kith, the other half you'd get into west commonlands. I removed the zoneline and you should be good to go now.

The extra required files now have a new home on the link below. This will be always up to date, so if you're not sure if you have the latest, get the latest from the link below:
eq2002files_v4.zip

Additionally, I plan on putting together a full client later tonight for those of you who don't want to download and piece everything together.
Downloads not working for me. Click link, and then click download in the top right, and I get screen telling me that the file is too large to scan for viruses, do I want to download it anyway. Click Download Anyway, and I get nothing. Nothing starts downloading.

Doing this with all the .zip files. Click Download Anyway and just nothing happens. Will try using another browser like Chrome. Firefox doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Downloads not working for me. Click link, and then click download in the top right, and I get screen telling me that the file is too large to scan for viruses, do I want to download it anyway. Click Download Anyway, and I get nothing. Nothing starts downloading.

Doing this with all the .zip files. Click Download Anyway and just nothing happens. Will try using another browser like Chrome. Firefox doesn't seem to be working.

Weird; I am using Firefox and it works just fine for me.

That's actually on my list too for things for Secrets to look at as well. Mobs seem to have either a ridiculously high rate of accuracy and/or hit for max damage waaaaay more than they should.

The filters in the game client, by default, have miss messages disabled. AC is very important here too for incoming damage, which I don't expect people to have a lot of yet.