EQMac Now Free to Play

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I NEED ATTENTION! PLEASE SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO ME! MY LIFE IS EMPTY WITHOUT IT! I WILL BE WHATEVER YOU WANT, BUT TROLLING LIKE A 13 YEAR OLD BRAT SEEMS TO BE THE BEST WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO NOTICE ME! NOTICE ME DADDY! DONT LEAVE DONT LEAVE!
ftfy, and btw, you spelled your name wrong.

Rellapse_sl

shitlord
You upset bro? Calm down do not commit suicide over an elf 20 yr old game. You and your mac hipster friends could not beat.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You upset bro? Calm down do not commit suicide over an elf 20 yr old game. You and your mac hipster friends could not beat.
Why is this guy not banned? He adds nothing of value and he isn't even funny.

This is coming from a guy who never has and never will play or give a shit about EQMac, so don't try and pull that card.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Just ignore him. He'll find something shiny to bark at and/or piss on eventually.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I love the vztz/red99 crowd. I really do. It has developed into a unique culture with a unique language, the red99 forums has a specific formula to which it adheres.

pras.

sadmadbaddowncoined.

confirmed fat on elf simulator.

Etc.

However, that formula doesn't really translate here. Box lyfe lingo and a strict >90 character posting format isn't universal, and as a result you come across as autistic.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I logged in the other day just out of morbid curiosity really. So fucking sad. I don't think I've ever played an MMO that has closed before, I think there was a few like shadowbane but they don't really count because I didn't play them for long. But this was really sad the entire population was about 30 or something. There was a guy stood in PoK with his 6 box all similar names, each one had an epic... and really great gear. And it was just stood there in a circle for an hour. And then there was that guy Guktuk or whatever, just spamming chat as usual with his song lyrics or whatever - only the entire alliance channel was about 10 people... It was fucking creepy, he never seemed the most emotionally stable of people at the best of times but seeing him singing into the abyss was weird, I dread to think what's going on with him in real life.

I didn't really have anyone to say goodbye to so just left. But couldn't help but take one last look at my gear, and it was just sad. I was only a casual player and had only been playing several months, but my Warrior had great gear, and about 30k in the bank. I had about 20 backpacks full of words which I hoped to use to help some newbies some day, and they took me fucking hours to organise because there was no auto sort function. Pretty sad to think its all going to vamoosh but it's not that big of a deal to me, to the people who had been playing it for years... ouch.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've only managed to make it to the final night of a couple mmos that were shutting down. I missed city of heroes and starwars galaxies. I really wanted to be there for galaxies but I waited too late to sub.

The matrix online had that odd sort of world ending feeling of the last night of a beta but much more intense. Tabula Rasa went out great, with big laggy battles and everyone hanging out in new york city. They even composed a really beautiful song for the last event. That one was especially sad as I worked on it and knew lots of the people involved.

I'm hoping to be there for eqmac and also warhammer's closing is coming up. I'll probably end the latter in Nordenwatch
smile.png

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I have never been "in-game" of something that shut down. I watched FFXIV close down and that was actually pretty cool but I agree, this is incredibly sad because it is the last "official" version of the game in existence. There will never be original Freeport, the graphics, gear, etc. EQMac was never anything serious to me but I loved to log in, get a MGB or throw a few buffs myself, and just run around and absorb some nostalgia.

There was some decent community on that server. Every server had their local idiots that were more vocal than we cared for but eh... kind of part of it. I like knowing it was there more so than anything. Oh well, RIP EQMac.

Zacx_sl

shitlord
yeah, it is quite sad to see the last remnant of classic EQ get shut down
rest in peace sweet prince Innoruuk

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The mission I have given myself since the shutdown notice is to assist Project EQ as much as I can for the next month. Project EQ is the main database for the emus.

If anybody else wants to contribute, an easy thing to do is simply log the min and max hits of various mobs-- especially in zones that got revamped on the PC side. Also killing mobs with only melee and parsing how much hp they have is sorely needed. The current database is rather inaccurate, but it's really easy to aggro mobs, turn around, sit down and let them hit you in order to get max hits. This is badly needed data for anybody who cares about accurate emulation. They have most of the spawn locations already from showEQ.

Log everything, and save the logs you already have. Use a grep tool likehttp://www.baremetalsoft.com/baregrep/to find min and max hits. I am also usinghttp://gambosoft.com/Pages/GamParse_Features.htmto parse for max hitpoint values. If you don't want to fuss with that, you can just email your logs to me. Make sure mobs hit you enough. If you have logs of grinding exp in strange locations, those would be juicy, so long as it is the log of the tank or a caster with other's hits on.

You can skip parsing HP of mobs in classic and Kunark zones. The fictitiousname9 data lists max hp values, which was collected from showeq or some other form of packet sniffing back during Kunark and it is still available. Mob damage from all eras is needed however.

If anybody wants to contribute, I'll tell them how to download the current database and query it so you can look things up yourself and see what needs updating. (download mySQL and use workbench) Although so many entries are rough guesses that picking mobs at random would mostly not be a waste of time. Their primary concern until recently was simply getting the emulator running; they've got some pretty stable and well-running servers now, so now is the time to make the database accurate.

We only have three weeks so I will be doing nothing but this until Nov 18.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
You're really taking one for the team doing that. Would be cool if we can get some more accurate servers some day. Although we also need some people who aren't morons/corrupt. It's strange that there are 20+ servers on the list but none of them have a normal ruleset.