EQMac Now Free to Play

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't mind going a bit further than LDON or whatever. I just don't want mercs, max level in a month, and gear so powerful that people can solo Innorruk or whatever.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
its not as bad as you think, like he said its alot of asshurt neckbeards crying wolf.

does RMT happen? Bet your ass, but current staff isn't involved. etc.

btw roll on red.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure that vast majority of that is just butthurt nerd conspiracy theories.
RMT and staff corruption were damn common back when I played, maybe it's calmed down now but the fact that it went on for so long and the lack of acknowledgment from Roegan and crew is why many won't trust it.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
DoDH was badass too... sendaiiii!!!
That encounter was such a bitch to nail down the first couple times, lots of fun though.....when we finally beat DoDH is when I quit live....and only came back for the two proggy servers. When we beat Mayong I quit again on those two servers lol

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
he wrote on the Everquest forum he specifically browsed. He smiled to himself, satisfied with his commentary. "Now, back to browsing Everquest threads." Regime through to himself.
Big Flex put down his macbook and reached for his Starbucks Strawberry Frappucino and took a sip. The whip cream reminded him of the Plane of Air and how sarcasm floats around like a cloud. His head slowly looked to the left of his computer where his Fironia Vie Statue sat staring back him. "I love you" Fironia seemed to say through her plastic lips. "I love you too" Big Flex said with a sigh.

vishnu_sl

shitlord
Big Flex put down his macbook and reached for his Starbucks Strawberry Frappucino and took a sip. The whip cream reminded him of the Plane of Air and how sarcasm floats around like a cloud. His head slowly looked to the left of his computer where his Fironia Vie Statue sat staring back him. "I love you" Fironia seemed to say through her plastic lips. "I love you too" Big Flex said with a sigh.
A++ would read again

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
there's a small discussion going on at the P99 forums about how "classic" content on EQMac was different than true classic in some ways. i only played on EQMac for a short while... but two things i recall were that on EQMAc the Nybrights in LFay dropped Rusty weapons instead of Bronze, and the spiderlings in Field of Bone were all single pulls.

i've heard other stories of various rare NPC spawns and whatnot functioning differently on EQMac than they did in classic, but i don't know specifics. is there anything you guys remember?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
there's a small discussion going on at the P99 forums about how "classic" content on EQMac was different than true classic in some ways. i only played on EQMac for a short while... but two things i recall were that on EQMAc the Nybrights in LFay dropped Rusty weapons instead of Bronze, and the spiderlings in Field of Bone were all single pulls.

i've heard other stories of various rare NPC spawns and whatnot functioning differently on EQMac than they did in classic, but i don't know specifics. is there anything you guys remember?
now this is hardcore...

RUSTY WEAPONS INSTEAD OF BRONZE??? NOT CLASSIC!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
dude i know lol, sisters was my plan to break into the low end market on Al'kabor. i was pissed when i got there and there was nothing but rusty.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider

I think the discussion on P99 and your question could potentially rooted from a fundamentally different place. EQ Mac, as you surely know, is a PC port shortly after the release of PoP. There are loads of things in classic and Kunark that are not as they were in 1999, simply due to the fact that Sony had revamped some loot tables etc from Vanilla zones by this time. This could and probably does explain most differences between EQ Mac and true classic content. Your question, however, seems to be suggesting that if you took PC Mac circa 2003 and EQ Mac of the same era, that there would be slight variances due to some quirks in the port or something lost in translation. I honestly believe that to be the case in some regards, especially on the pathing side. I can think of several zones on EQ Mac which had mobs which had some bug in their pathing route which cause them to pop from the sky at the zone line and being pathing from there. I can't say for certain, as I didn't play during the PoP era on live, but in 1999 I did not remember that or several other quirks of EQ Mac being present.

In terms of the ability to port to a Mac code base, I am by no means a programmer, but I would think that attributes of the game would fall into one of two pools:

Ability to Match Perfectly:
Spawn Locations
Mob HPs
Mob damage ranges
Mob abilities etc
Spawn locations
Visual Zone Geometry
etc

May not be 100% Accurate:
Zone Geometry in terms of line of sight/bolts/agro etc
Ability of mobs to move around their pre-prescribed pathing
Latency

My suspicion is that the second bucket is something that probably an area that may have actually required some recoding which could cause slight divergences in live to Mac. I would assume that the first bucket is stuff that they would have no reason to change. I could be totally off in this assessment, but based on the few months I played there, I did think there was a slight difference in just how you and mobs moved through the world. The combat etc seemed dead on, however.