EQMac Now Free to Play

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Torrid... good for you bro.

P99 the only guys really close to EQMac in terms of content? I understand they are just an expansion or two into the game but was curious if they're plans to bring something classic up to stand in for EQMac?

Leon

<Silver Donator>
What's EQemu xpac limit? Velious? PoP?

I have gigantic logs with everything tanked in velious, Luclin and PoP raids basically. Hopefully i didn't delete them.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Project EQ's server goes up to GoD currently. EQ Emulator can go up several expacs higher. The emulator and the database are separate projects.

I also used this past week to get around to making some videos I neglected due to joining a raiding guild that was in hardcore progression mode. For the bored:

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
You're really taking one for the team doing that. Would be cool if we can get some more accurate servers some day. Although we also need some people who aren't morons/corrupt. It's strange that there are 20+ servers on the list but none of them have a normal ruleset.
ProjectEQ is the open-source project that most EQEmu servers are built upon.
In terms of scripting, it's only up to GoD, loot/merchants/doors up to Veil of Alaria, and features are being implemented as developers research them from disassembly. (such as Mercenaries coming soon)

If you want to contribute to a project that has no possibility of closing anytime soon (it's open source, if it dies, you can make your own.) PEQ would be the best bet.
The play server is actually more of a test server. You can report bugs on the forum, or you can download the database and code that the server runs and fix it yourself and submit it to the developers for review.
Destiny, a popular EQMac guild, recently moved onto ProjectEQ after hearing about the shutdown. A few members are active PEQ players, and are helping contribute logs to get accurate information and a EQMac database/codebase is in the works for release.

If you want the classic experience, go with P99. If you want a server that is closer to EQMac in terms of content then PEQ would be your server. Keep in mind PEQ is a live-like emulator and if you only want EQ up to Velious, P99 is your best bet.

There's also other servers with custom content, my favorite being Akkadius's server.
It has random loot drops, a plethora of cool quality-of-life features that aren't found even in live EQ etc; his server feels like a new game entirely and I would recommend checking it out at some point.

Something to note; every EQEmulator server is built off of the main EQEmulator codebase that PEQ uses. There are two major database releases and one is no longer maintained; ProjectEQ and AX_Classic. P99 is built off of AX_Classic's DB with 5 years of work in changes in both database and source code. AX_Classic's schema is also incompatible with latest EQEmulator. PEQ only uses the ProjectEQ database, and is compatible with latest github source for EQEmulator. There are very few servers that decide to make their own custom content, but it is possible to use a gutted version of PEQ with entirely new content.

The glory of open source is that you can modify it to make it your own.
If you want to make it into a classic server, that's possible, if you want to make an entirely new game out of the engine, that's possible too.

What's EQemu xpac limit? Velious? PoP?

I have gigantic logs with everything tanked in velious, Luclin and PoP raids basically. Hopefully i didn't delete them.
A common misconception seems to be that we have content enabled by XPacs; that is not the case. It is up to the server owner to make content appear; you could even make Luclin zonelines connect to somewhere in The Serpent's Spine. You could make all INT give 1 spell damage. The possibilities are endless.

The projects that could most benefit from your logs are ProjectEQ and Project1999.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't know how possible this would be but one thing I have always wanted to to see would be Vanilla EQ with zones only certain zones added. (Since some zones felt irrelevant and fluff.) For example, adding Velks to the Halas region. As I think through expansions, I can recall a handful of zones that I actually spent the majority of my time as the others were just used for means of travel. Understandingly, this supported lore, added to the world environment, etc. but honestly, I felt as the game grew, it became too large and left many zones dormant when they could have kept the populous a little more exposed by growing from the inside out (if that makes sense). Seems like as expansions came out, the top moved out and on. When a big part of the game for me was crossing paths with people and see people ahead of me move towards the next big thing.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
ProjectEQ is the open-source project that most EQEmu servers are built upon.
In terms of scripting, it's only up to GoD, loot/merchants/doors up to Veil of Alaria, and features are being implemented as developers research them from disassembly. (such as Mercenaries coming soon)
Thanks for all the info! Is that one you talked about also known as The Grand Creation? I made some characters on that a while ago but never actually played it. I liked the idea of it because you can multi box and stuff. Although going far beyond PoP is something that turns me off. If that's the case, I don't see why people wouldn't just play official EQ Live? It's free to play now so seems to best option to me.

All I would want to fall in love with an emu server is these three key things:

1) Fairly accurate representation of EQ (like P99)
2) Only goes as far as the first several expansions or so. I want to play EQ before mercs and before stats get too insane.
3) The ability to multibox. Even just being able to play 2 characters would be perfect for me. But I don't like playing one character anymore, too boring after multiboxing for years.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider

2) Only goes as far as the first several expansions or so. I want to play EQ before mercs and before stats get too insane.
3) The ability to multibox. Even just being able to play 2 characters would be perfect for me. But I don't like playing one character anymore, too boring after multiboxing for years.
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, I'm ok with EQ up till PoP/(Working)GoD, anything after that I just don't care about.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I don't get why so many people can tolerate GoD and below but not Omens. Omens of War was an awesome expansion and OMM is easily the coolest boss since Emperor Ssraeshza.

I count my first time beating him and seeing his "There are worlds other than this..." quote as one of my favorite EQ experiences.

rrr_img_47885.png

rrr_img_47886.png

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I don't get why so many people can tolerate GoD and below but not Omens. Omens of War was an awesome expansion and OMM is easily the coolest boss since Emperor Ssraeshza.

I count my first time beating him and seeing his "There are worlds other than this..." quote as one of my favorite EQ experiences.
I did a tiny comeback for OoW and enjoyed the raids but I remembered the grouping zones sucked. Also, just the big mudflation/start of 1000~ AA'd characters which adds a huge overhead when trying to have a character.

Origin

Molten Core Raider

rrr_img_47885.png

rrr_img_47886.png
This.

I think a lot of people, especially from this board, quit EQ just around GoD, since that's when WOW came out, and never had the chance to experience OoW. But honestly, OoW is easily one of the best EQ expansions.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If these jabronies can't kill Quarm, forget the Sleeper
It's been posted 1000x, but AK server has very old code and missing nearly all PoP encounter patches / fixes. As in PoTime is version 1.0 with an unkillable Quarm, broken loot tables (no BPs drop, only 2 items per god, many items missing stats), no 85% rule for entry (everyone needs a key), etc. I think it was pretty good to clear Phase 5 as it was.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Thanks for all the info! Is that one you talked about also known as The Grand Creation? I made some characters on that a while ago but never actually played it. I liked the idea of it because you can multi box and stuff. Although going far beyond PoP is something that turns me off. If that's the case, I don't see why people wouldn't just play official EQ Live? It's free to play now so seems to best option to me.

PEQ is meant to emulate live as a starting point for people to branch off of. That's been their project goal since forever ago. Their goals are not so much holding a playerbase or cater to a specific group of people, but instead making the software and database available to run an EverQuest server. With the advent of EQMac closing, giving those players a permanent home is something they embarked on and I am not them so I couldn't tell you their intentions. They allow MQ2 to the point where you can emulate mercenaries with other clients using MacroQuest. I don't see the point in having to restrict them.

However, I believe one of their recent goals is to make a "PEQMac" somewhere down the road that is stuck in PoP and make that as a freely available download and will work with the EQMac client & the windows EQMac client as well as all current EQEmulator clients.

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm

rrr_img_47885.png

rrr_img_47886.png
Agree 100%. OoW was my favorite xpac right next to SoV and PoP. The design was very consistent and the lore was great.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really wish P99 was not so corrupt. I just cannot put any time into it after all the shit that has gone on.