EQMac Now Free to Play

Shuuhei_sl

shitlord
Only issue I share with you qwert is the stupid alt thing. I agree the server has been great so far.
Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

You will see reduced latency in many online games including World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars, Rift, Aion, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, and more.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

rrr_img_5163.jpg

If you use your EQW hotkey to swap windows instead of alt+tab you won't have your alt key getting stuck down. I just have mine re-bound to my ~ key and I can swap around much easier, never have the stuck button issue anymore either.
Shit I forgot about that! Thanks a lot! Although that only tabs back and forth, it wont go through multiple characters if you box more than 2.

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

You will see reduced latency in many online games including World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars, Rift, Aion, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, and more.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

rrr_img_5163.jpg
That is great too thanks. I keep dying and I blame it all on lag. Either my heal doesn't go through because of the previously mentioned message which sucks, or one of my alts on /follow goes running off in to the distance by himself and aggroes the world. I still haven't done the datarate fix yet but hopefully between that and this, it will fix the lag up.

There is also a big issue with aggro mobs not aggroing. I can literally stand face to face with some mobs that should attack me, and sometimes they don't. I hope it's not like that in dungeons etc. too. Argh. Why can't there just be at least one solid EQ server? Wtf.

Shuuhei_sl

shitlord
There is also a big issue with aggro mobs not aggroing. I can literally stand face to face with some mobs that should attack me, and sometimes they don't. I hope it's not like that in dungeons etc. too. Argh. Why can't there just be at least one solid EQ server? Wtf.
I still have a problem with mobs disappearing in front of me only to be 20 yards away when I turn 180 degrees. My ping to the server is normally 60ms, but the server latency bounces all over the place from 200 to 6850 depending on what zone Im currently in. At least with the datarate.txt & TCP ack mods I know that there wont be a problem on my end.

It's frustrating because I've played lots of Emu servers and they are usually lag free and glitch free too. This one is the glitchiest and laggiest I've seen, and yet it's the most fun because it's pure EQ up to PoP without all the silly modern stuff, and unlike P99, it's legit and lets you box if you want to.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
Played this a bit a few years ago, I feel the only reason why I would start again is to eventually join a raiding guild and beat elementals. Is that everyone's goal on the server currently leveling up?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server.
EverQuest uses UDP.

There is also a big issue with aggro mobs not aggroing. I can literally stand face to face with some mobs that should attack me, and sometimes they don't.
The frequency of checks the server does to see if players are within aggro radius of mobs is reduced here. That is normal/classic; I remember sneaking past mobs in dungeons just by running past them quickly. The server code was written for machines from the last millennium and looping through the mob list to check for player proximity is the bulk of the computational resource load on servers I would imagine. 'Threatening' mobs will also not aggro until you've been nearby them for awhile.

At least level 20+ green mobs proximity aggro players of any level here like the good old days. No idea why p99 decided not to implement that.

The frequency of checks the server does to see if players are within aggro radius of mobs is reduced here.
I thought that too but I can literally stand in front of them for 10 minutes. Although it only seems to happen to light blue cons. Dark blue and higher still attack as normal.

It's not bad though, it's as close to the old EQ experience as I've ever seen. Could use some more players though.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
It could use more, and the couple there would be wise to interact more often with new players instead of PLing an endless rotating party of boxed alts.

Yeah I had one high level guy come to the zone I was in and give the newbies buffs and money and stuff. But the other 50 or so high level people I saw on my journey to the bazaar and back, seemed like snooty assholes. Although I assume at some point you could join a guild and it would be smoother sailing.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Well I mean more like people level alts there all the time, but unlike P99 where people group with their alts on EQMac they just box PL them.

That's one thing I can give to P99 at least the high level alts usually can help newbies level with them.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
It's gonna be pretty much solo or bust, finding a group is extremely difficult. When you do find a group, /friend those people and try and level together. At peak time there may be 400 people total on, and 90% of those people are boxed, 65's sitting in PoK or PoT, or people trying to sell.

Ouch that's low. I know from other emu's that it needs to be about 200-300 unique people minimum. I think it's just going to be very none-mmo. Mostly solo until the higher levels and then you huddle in groups and guilds. Can still be fun like that. Just a bit different.

Only real issue on my mind is the lag. I think they are hosting it on a server with a 56k modem.

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ouch that's low. I know from other emu's that it needs to be about 200-300 unique people minimum. I think it's just going to be very none-mmo. Mostly solo until the higher levels and then you huddle in groups and guilds. Can still be fun like that. Just a bit different.

Only real issue on my mind is the lag. I think they are hosting it on a server with a 56k modem.
Yeah, I'm not fired up about 3 boxing to 50+. It gets tedious, and makes me wonder if I wouldn't have more fun just flying solo. As it is, I'm just going to play my SK with a cleric healbot and enchanter for buffs. If anyone wants to start grouping (or drop me some newbie gear
smile.png
), /friend ismaris, peckface, and/or pecklord.

Just saw someone on the official forum asking if it's possible to play this on PC. I don't understand why SOE insist on keeping this server like a secret? Are they so ashamed of butchering the original EQ and milking it to death that they don't want this 'pure' version of it to be popular? That's the only reason I can think of. Because any sane company would change the name of it, make a PC executable and installer, and promote it to the (I am sure) large numbers of people who would love to play an original version of EQ.

I suppose if it can't be gheyed up with stupid ideas and millions of expansions, and rammed full of pay to win shit, they aren't interested.

ismaris

Just saw someone on the official forum asking if it's possible to play this on PC. I don't understand why SOE insist on keeping this server like a secret? Are they so ashamed of butchering the original EQ and milking it to death that they don't want this 'pure' version of it to be popular? That's the only reason I can think of. Because any sane company would change the name of it, make a PC executable and installer, and promote it to the (I am sure) large numbers of people who would love to play an original version of EQ.

I suppose if it can't be gheyed up with stupid ideas and millions of expansions, and rammed full of pay to win shit, they aren't interested.
The 2003 PoP client is considered by many to be the Golden age of MMO gaming. If SOE were to release a Windows executable, they would need for it to provide revenue. Opening up the EQMac client to PC's is going to bring in a huge amount of players; most Rerolled.org forum-goers, for starters. This is going to further tax the hamster wheels, soup cans, and string that they are currently using to host this server. There is no way that the paltry "hardware" being used to host EQMac could support any kind of appreciable population, and why would SOE invest more money into what has already been officially established as a dead-end for profit? If the server is essentially being used as a form of marketing, as Smed purports, then that would be some expensive fucking marketing for only reaching a few hundred or couple thousand players.

EQMac players aren't a fan of the PC hack because they don't want the following things:

1) A server filled with MQers
2) The introduction of SC/SOE Marketplace
3) The eventual termination of the server due to hardware not being able to support the player base

Personally, I think that SOE should spend a little bit of development coming up with a mac version of the SC marketplace. Figure out some way to make this server generate some revenue without killing the very thing that makes it attractive: its classic feel.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
So if this server is free to play and does not have access to the SOE marketplace, how exactly is it being supported now? Can't help but think as soon as I try to get into it, they pull the plug.

ismaris

So if this server is free to play and does not have access to the SOE marketplace, how exactly is it being supported now? Can't help but think as soon as I try to get into it, they pull the plug.
It's been stated by Smed that it is kept up as a gesture of goodwill to Mac gamers so they will try out future games, or some shit.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Well at this point, all it costs them is electricity. Smed making it free to play without adding the usual retarded pay-for-power store bullshit was actually a really nice gesture though. It's something Blizzard would never do.

I really, really don't want classic EQ to die. My choice of MMORPGs right now are project 1999 and EQ Mac using an unofficial client. I don't want to play any other MMOG because they are all garbage and can't hold a candle to classic EQ. I'll take a sledgehammer to my computer before I play WoW again. I am 100% convinced that these classic servers would have a TON more people on them if they were better known. Not just knowing the servers exist, but EQ's gameplay in general as well.

I'm in total hardcore mode right now. Been playing this server 5 weeks and went from nothing to having a 60 druid plus a level 51 ench x2, wiz x2, and cleric. I'm putting in a lot of hours and my access could be cut off by either the server shutting down or the PC hack breaking in a patch. I have no choice though, because it's either live in fear that my /played goes to waste one night, or not playing MMOGs at all, because nothing else is like classic EQ.

This is the state of the industry right now, and it's a sad and sorry state to be in.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Torrid worst case scenario you could make a regular PC into a hackintosh. Obviously not your best solution but if you've got a little bit of spare cash, or some time on your hands you can make it so that your /played doesn't up and disappear.