EQMac Now Free to Play

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
1) A server filled with MQers
2) The introduction of SC/SOE Marketplace
3) The eventual termination of the server due to hardware not being able to support the player base
1. Mq still exists with a Mac and has been witnessed by people.
2.All they would have to do is require a gold sub to play and the server would net around 1k~ players + boxes, which would easily bring them into the black on the server.

Main reason it will never happen is cause the macfags on that server, you just mention you are on a PC and they start crying about how you are a hacker/exploiter, mention you are on a hackintosh and they start crying about how you are breaking the Apple eula.

I understand some trash got brought to the server when PC client opened up but it seems like they just are mad their hipster server got found out and became popular.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well at this point, all it costs them is electricity.
Fucking bandwidth, how does it work?

I think another reason they wont allow PC players it because AK is literally a single server box. It's not a cluster of servers like most of EQ. If they expand the potential player base, they need to add hardware support and staff, and they don't want to do that. Can't blame them. They're willing to maintain the decade-old content and box, but they sure as hell aren't going to add on to it.

Shuuhei_sl

shitlord
Torrid worst case scenario you could make a regular PC into a hackintosh. Obviously not your best solution but if you've got a little bit of spare cash, or some time on your hands you can make it so that your /played doesn't up and disappear.
Thats what Im trying to do Szeth, but fuck apple and their incomplete ACPI implementation. I got an ivy bridge bridge MB, CPU, and Hackable video card which is essentially supposed to work out of the box, but doesn't because of all the hang problems when the OS tries to complete the boot up for the pci routine.

It would literally be easier to fit that mythological gerbil back up Mr. Gere's ass.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Do not bring Lemmiwinks into this good sir.

I dunno if you're winging it, but there's a few good guides out there if you look around.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Fucking bandwidth, how does it work?
This isn't the 1990s anymore dude. This server probably uses less bandwidth than a home cable connection. I played two characters over a single dial-up modem on 50+ player raids 10+ years ago. My upload is now nearly 500K/s and I don't have the expensive cable plan. That is 100 maxed out dial-up users. Now consider players won't be anywhere near 5K/s the vast majority of the time, and bandwidth is much cheaper at a datacenter. Btw, you can see how much data your client receives by looking at the rightmost number on your lag meter in the game. Most of the time, it's like 100 bytes per second.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
I thought that too but I can literally stand in front of them for 10 minutes. Although it only seems to happen to light blue cons. Dark blue and higher still attack as normal.

It's not bad though, it's as close to the old EQ experience as I've ever seen. Could use some more players though.
That's a vanilla EQ feature though. Mobs up to like 35 or 45, forget which, won't aggro if they're green (light blue was originally the upper end of green that still gave exp). Undead will typically always attack though, regardless of lvl or aggro. You can even train undead on people that they weren't even aggro on.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The green proximity aggro level was/is actually around level 18 or 20. Also, non-undead can be trained on people as well; Fansy can attest to that fact. I've had my non-undead pulls aggro on people on EQ Mac and had to heal them off.

It seemed much better tonight, light blues were attacking me and whatever else. It went hugely laggy for a couple of hours but then went back to being ok. Having a blast, it's taken me back to the early days of EQ but it's really nice to know that there's a bunch of expansions ahead of me too. There were some really nice players giving away gear and money as well.

I did have some bad stuff happen with the boat but once you work out what to do and what not to do, that's something you can handle. Really fun server, more people should play.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah, I wish more people played. Single player just isn't that much fun, though. I'm in awe of the people grinding to max on their own. Not for me anymore.

So. anyone interested in getting a casual scheduled group going? My dream scenario would be to get a couple of people, up to a full group if possible, and play 1 or 2 times a week for a few hours, minimal twinking and skip the MGBs to keep the challenge intact, see every dungeon again (Some of which I've never even seen) and just enjoy the game/nostalgia.

I have a relatively flexible schedule, so let me know if you're interested, any time zone etc works for me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Been doing Coldain Ring / Shawl side by side, man these quests are grueling. Cost me 1k spent on Mandrake Roots to get tailoring up to 66, luckily baking is cheap as hell for the first 120 or so points. Farming the Tundra Kodiaks in Eastern Wastes was the worst drop rate on anything I've ever seen.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Was wondering if anyone has actually seen Hobart say he is returning to this project for bug fixes.
Yes, he poped in a whilea go saying he's full time assigned on Alkabor for fixes. Nothing big will happen before ther new year though.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't forget that you can't get a custom title unless you're in Temerity.

RIP Zamiel lol

Shuuhei_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I wish more people played. Single player just isn't that much fun, though. I'm in awe of the people grinding to max on their own. Not for me anymore.

So. anyone interested in getting a casual scheduled group going? My dream scenario would be to get a couple of people, up to a full group if possible, and play 1 or 2 times a week for a few hours, minimal twinking and skip the MGBs to keep the challenge intact, see every dungeon again (Some of which I've never even seen) and just enjoy the game/nostalgia.

I have a relatively flexible schedule, so let me know if you're interested, any time zone etc works for me.
I'd be down for some group Guga. I've got a 24 warrior and my GF has a 27 druid. Normally when we play we grind out for 4-5 hours, sometimes with MGB sometimes without. I'll PM you to find out what your schedule is.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
So I have a little problem with the PC client that's been bugging me since I installed it. My apostrophe/quotes key, left bracket, and equals keys do not work in the game; my backslash outputs a right bracket when I press it; and my right bracket outputs a left bracket when I press that. It's really quite strange. I also copied the install folder to two other machines and they do not have this problem, even with the exact same install and config. I don't suppose anybody has any idea why this could be happening? I sound dumb in-game when I can't use apostrophes.

Interestingly, when I try to press ', ], or = as keybindings, it shows up as :, @, and blank (space maybe) respectively when it is normally impossible to get those to show up otherwise. (i.e. pressing shift 2 would show up as 'shift 2' instead of @, space would show 'SPACE', and no binding should show '-------') However as I said, these keys output nothing in chat.

No problem with any keys in any other software. Problem still occurs when using a different keyboard. I even wrote software to SendInput() those keys to EverQuest as a test, which pretty much proves that it's EverQuest's problem. Any ideas?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Also, can somebody try recording video of the game using MSI afterburner and see if the audio is also captured? I tried everything but can't get it to record the game's audio. However when I run another game at the same time as EQ, it will record EQ's audio along with the audio of that other game in the other game's recording.

Trying to capture some memories in case they take away my access to the game by disabling the hack.
frown.png

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Do you use an non-standard keyboard mapping? EverQuest on the PC used it's own key mapping stored in keyboard.txt. You can use a hex editor to change the keyboard.txt, or find one already modified. Like here:http://www.eqmac.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3598

If you have a normal US keyboard layout maybe your keyboard.txt is corrupt or was patched by someone else. Try to find one from a vanilla install of EverQuest and copy it to your EQMac folder.