EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
"UPDATE: "Sorry folks. No more ETAs. When it's done, I'll announce it. I'll even tell you if anything changes. But no more guessing and dangling you."

For further updates on the current server downtime, please refer to the Alpha Update Notes subforum" - Dave

From twitter few min ago

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Agreed , also I saw Georgeson respond to someone on Twitter who was joking with him about arm hurting from clicking so much on harvesting trees.

Georgeson responded they were looking into making it a toggle on/off on the harvesting on Trees instead of individual clicks.

I would very much appreciate that.
you can just hold down the mouse button on trees.

Edit: Already answered, I'm an asshole.

misery_sl

shitlord
Ah, thank goodness I went with my gut and went to bed when this started happening. I do want to play, but I expected these kinds of things to happen. Unfortunately for them, it looks like at least a few of them will be working today.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
New tweet

David Georgeson ?@DaveGeorgeson 14m
Yeah. We're still here. Still no ETA, but we're not quitting. Sorry for all this delay folks. Keep the faith. We'll get you playing ASAP.
Expand

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doh, servers are still down?
Yes, including EQ, and EQ2 servers. Just out of curiosity can any of you log into the official forums, or your SOE account? Not recognizing me anywhere, so just assuming that's down as well.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yes, including EQ, and EQ2 servers. Just out of curiosity can any of you log into the official forums, or your SOE account? Not recognizing me anywhere, so just assuming that's down as well.
I can log into the alpha forums, but trying to log into my station account times out.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I was curious if anyone on YouTube had posted videos yet and it seems like someone has a couple tutorial videos hosted that were published today. Starts with this one and then goes into harvesting, claiming a plot, etc.
rrr_img_8.jpg

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
David Georgeson ?@DaveGeorgeson 59m
@GamerGirlPower @EQOAnostaIgia Yes. The logins are down. Which is just icing on the cake for how fun this update process has been so far.
biggrin.png

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
David Georgeson ?@DaveGeorgeson 19m
I'm going to write up an explanation of all of this and stick it on the Alpha forums. For those that followed all night...entertaining?

Kaita

Golden Squire
Smokejumper - "Here's a wrap-up. (Remember when we said we'd tell you everything? Well...here goes.)

1) When we tested Landmark internally, we only had a single world. So...we made a few mistakes, one of which was severe. Essentially, our data structure didn't preserve the relationships between the various isles and the world that the isles were on.

2) We also had a few memory leaks. That's pretty normal stuff that we expect to squash during testing, but in this case, it eventually caused different islands to drop and reboot. And that's where the problems started.

3) Because the isles didn't necessarily stay with the world they should have stayed with. Worse, that island would get orphaned out into the nothingness (not attached to a world) and when the world it was *supposed* to be attached to detected its absence, well...it made a new island from scratch instead. (And yes, that's why peoples' claims were disappearing.)

4) Once we realized that, we started figuring out a way to transition the current linkages to a new system that would remember the world it was on.

5) But then about half the islands came down at once (due to memory leakage). And we realized that things were going to get VERY messy if we let them come up again. So we outaged everything at once, and the game came off-line for the first time.

6) Then we started trying to splice together the data we had with where it was supposed to go. And yes, this was exactly the spaghetti mess that it sounds like. In fact, it was so bad that we're now giving up on it (after trying to make it work for six hours, so you *know* we wanted it to work), because no matter what we do there will be some data loss, and it's going to be a real issue to try to tell which players are bugged, which are missing data, and which are in good shape. No way for you to know from your end except that your stuff might be gone...or it might not.

*sigh*

Okay...so what are we doing about it? Well, we're going to reset the voxel data so that everyone has a clean slate in that regard.

Does that mean that you're going to lose your stuff? Are you going to lose progress? The answer is yes and no. Here's details:

a) All voxel data will be reset. That means that the world is going to be reset back to original server conditions. Thus, if you put up a building, or dug a hole, those things are all going to be reset.

b) Things that you crafted (e.g., saw tables, stone forges, etc) WILL STILL BE WHERE YOU LEFT THEM. But that means that if you dug a hole into the side of a hill and put your forge in there, then your forge is now going to be buried inside that same hill. You'll need to dig it out.

c) You will not lose any resources or inventory items.

d) You will not lose your claim. It will still be wherever it was previously.

So, we apologize for any building creativity that you lose from this first day's wipe. This is not something we intended. We hope to not wipe data again anytime soon. (But you might try to save templates of the things you build in the near future, just in case. That way you can restore it if we find it necessary to wipe again.)

Make sense? If not, please ask questions!

-- Dave."