EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Even though it was unfinished, it was going to be a masterpiece regardless. It's launch was practically perfect compared to the standard.
Yes. I remember the 2-3 hour queues fondly. Having to log in during the morning, sticking a quarter in my keyboard so I'd spin around, then coming home at the end of the day hoping I was still online.

I remember the random server crashes, repeated unplanned 6pm overnight maintenance, the crippling server incapacity because they and no one else in their wildest dreams thought the game would balloon in popularity like it did.

I remember the stagnant content patches early on. That the only dungeons to run were UBRS/Strath/Scholo, that were so unimaginably poorly tuned players created 20+ man raids to clear them when they were intended for only 5 players.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
that were so unimaginably poorly tuned players created 20+ man raids to clear them when they were intended for only 5 players.
To be fair that wasn't really about how the dungeons were tuned. Except for UBRS, which was always meant for raids, a 5 man group was perfectly capable of doing all those dungeons. The raiding in those zones were more about just steamrolling the shit for the most efficient way to gear up your raiders.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
To be fair that wasn't really about how the dungeons were tuned. Except for UBRS, which was always meant for raids, a 5 man group was perfectly capable of doing all those dungeons. The raiding in those zones were more about just steamrolling the shit for the most efficient way to gear up your raiders.
I don't disagree with what you said, but a 5-man dungeon taking 3-5 hours to complete is in my book "Poorly Tuned"

They did eventually cap it at 5 players and tweaked the dungeon runs to be about 2-3 hours per run, which was consistent with most of the other dungeons in the game at the time.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
How about large, complex, open world dungeons rather than linear instanced bs?

Relevant:
rrr_img_50026.jpg

Bruman

Golden Squire
The masses prefer linear. It's easier, straight forward, no confusion, no getting lost, no risk, easy reward.

Caliane

there needs to be some kind of happy medium.

Because its not just the "masses". even the hardcore, min/max the shit out of those large open world mazes. And that completely defeats the purpose, of why you wanted them in the first place. And makes building them, a giant waste of time. Entire wings will go untouched when players decide that wing is not worth the trouble or whatnot.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Relevant:
rrr_img_50026.jpg
Right, because we all have 6 hours to waste wiping with 4 other mouth breathers we'll never see again... Sounds terrible.

[edited for constructive feedback] However, if they made legitimate bosses that 5 people could take down... That'd be totally different. But, if it's WoW style "Run this dungeon 500 times to collect 5,000 coins to spend on 500 items!" No thanks.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right, because we all have 6 hours to waste wiping with 4 other mouth breathers we'll never see again... Sounds terrible.
Me me me!!

Nobody says you have to go In there for 6 hours. In EQ I would tell my group I only have 2 hours...

misery_sl

shitlord

Relevant:
rrr_img_50026.jpg
I miss that feeling too. Going down into a dungeon and feeling like it's risky and dangerous to do so. Knowing that you might get lost at any turn. The feeling you get from learning a complex dungeon from head to toe is great. Being the only one in the party who knows the way and leading them in the right direction or to safety is even better. Finding little secret or hidden areas is just icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, it's all about instant gratification these days. Then the devs wonder why people get tired of these copy paste dungeons after 1 run, or why people don't stick around. These new generations don't want a safari, they want a bullet train.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
The design fix is really easy, rares spawn in all sorts of key places on the 1993 map and each rare has a shared loot table. Fixxed Or if its Everquest next , those same rares gradually roam down into these open world dungeons.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Relevant:
rrr_img_50026.jpg
I think that's a massive oversimplification but I miss giant open world dungeons too. Even though EQ dungeons were split up into camps fairly soon into the game. I remember seeing the dungeons and dealing with tough situations like everyone else. I also remember going through LGuk and having to pick through the campsites to see where we could find our spot. That sure didn't feel like an adventure...

Sure, there needs to be less instanced dungeons but dungeons are just as complex and large as they were before mostly. They are just cut into lots of sections now for ease of use. That isn't going to change and probably shouldn't. That doesn't mean having more open world dungeons shouldn't also be a priority.

I think making the game more about a living world and less about endgame stats would be a good step forward. EQN is saying the right things though. Big city starting events. World building. Less focus on class setups and more on the adventure. Focus on gaining skills not levels. That's where getting back some of the old nostalgic feelings will come from. Hard leveling and a focus on adventures. Not on classes, levels, gear, etc. It's just trying to promote change is the hardest part for any company. People hate change.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think that's a massive oversimplification but I miss giant open world dungeons too. Even though EQ dungeons were split up into camps fairly soon into the game. I remember seeing the dungeons and dealing with tough situations like everyone else. I also remember going through LGuk and having to pick through the campsites to see where we could find our spot. That sure didn't feel like an adventure...

Sure, there needs to be less instanced dungeons but dungeons are just as complex and large as they were before mostly. They are just cut into lots of sections now for ease of use. That isn't going to change and probably shouldn't. That doesn't mean having more open world dungeons shouldn't also be a priority.

I think making the game more about a living world and less about endgame stats would be a good step forward. EQN is saying the right things though. Big city starting events. World building. Less focus on class setups and more on the adventure. Focus on gaining skills not levels. That's where getting back some of the old nostalgic feelings will come from. Hard leveling and a focus on adventures. Not on classes, levels, gear, etc. It's just trying to promote change is the hardest part for any company. People hate change.
you just contradicted yourself. having "starting events" and "rallying cries" is the antithesis of creating a living world. in an actual sandbox MMO, the world events would be created by the players themselves, not embedded in the game itself.

Phanton

Trakanon Raider
I'd love to see a big, sprawling dungeon here and there. Even one per expansion, shit. I have really fond memories of exploring places like Charasis (Howling Stones), and even Blackrock Depths in vanilla WoW. Perhaps sprinkle some unique items in there. transmog loot? clickies? idk. Something to make it worth going into, but also not *totally* necessary for being geared well enough to raid--so the casuals won't have much ground to bitch on.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
The design fix is really easy, rares spawn in all sorts of key places on the 1993 map and each rare has a shared loot table. Fixxed Or if its Everquest next , those same rares gradually roam down into these open world dungeons.
So what you're saying is, HS South?

Spynx_sl

shitlord
Are we going to get a guild going for landmark/eqn, or are we still on the stance its going to blow? I am still holding out for red fox pirates or whatever it was called. Fuck the troll Ninjas

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Landmark is pretty obvious it seems. Building tool but no combat for probably at least 6 months till after launch. EQ:N is so up in the air no one knows, not even the developers it seems.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well we guess this (updated) list off alpha participants is done with setting up a guild in mind, should that option make it till the Landmark release.
I suggest a fitting name:

We pay because we stay (hard for 200+ hours)