EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to be interesting, just dig a medium hole, lead the mob into it, then range it from the top.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to be interesting, just dig a medium hole, lead the mob into it, then range it from the top.
I would imagine they are going to have to give pretty much all monsters some kind of hulk smash special attack where if there is a wall or barrier they cannot get through and cannot path around they hulk smash and just bust their way through.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The map is obviously just temporary for testing purposes. I am curious if the final world will be seemless or will require "zones". A seemless world would be amazing with being able to traverse through the differing biomes, digging through the underworld and exploring floating islands. Expect any final map(s) and world(s) to always be rectangular in shape though. All games have maps with rectangular boundaries except they are normally masked with impassable terrain (mountains/oceans).

I just claimed a spot halfway in a mountain which is very very close to a hub. Technically the "buffer" area for claims is limited by the z-axis as well as the x and y axis, and while someone had claimed the peak of the mountain, I was able to claim an area below that person's claim. I think what is difficult for people to realize is that claims are limited by all 3 axis. You can rotate the map around in 3D by holding the right-mouse button. It allows you to see the buffer boxes more clearly.

I still pack up all my shit before logging off though. I don't trust that my stuff won't disappear.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Not fact-checked, but from the Alpha forums: "Devs have stated that the sizes of the areas will be MUCH bigger in launch. These small islands are just for testing."

Perhaps their new AI isn't as dumb as traditional MMOs, and a mob wouldn't go into a hole that it can't climb out of. Also, I imagine many monsters will have ranged attacked and movement abilities like leaping / blinking like the warrior/wizard abilities shown in the original EQN presentation.

They also mentioned that climbing/hanging will be a thing, so maybe mobs could climb out of a hole

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Not fact-checked, but from the Alpha forums: "Devs have stated that the sizes of the areas will be MUCH bigger in launch. These small islands are just for testing."
I swear I read a dev , maybe Georgeson , saying the opposite. That these are the sizes of the islands , just there will be more of them and different kinds.

Who knows though I might have read that from a forum poster also.

Column_sl

shitlord
This game is going to be huge, the jury is still out on the MMO section, but I can tell Landmark is the next big thing for people that enjoy the World Building genre.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
I can't imagine how they're going to create a real combat system with manipulatable voxels. Minecraft is fun for a time but once you figure out the AI it's very simple to ruin a mob's ability to path. My favorite escape plan is to run to a wall, bust through it and close the other side. Will be nuts if they give mobs the ability to destroy voxels to chase you.
Monsters can destroyvoxelsin EQN just fine.

Starbound had this problem too, eventually they just let boss creatures destroy structures to get at players.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I swear I read a dev , maybe Georgeson , saying the opposite. That these are the sizes of the islands , just there will be more of them and different kinds.

Who knows though I might have read that from a forum poster also.
Pretty sure he was talking about many more islands for the alpha test. In the end the "Tiers" are supposed to be underground, not separate zones.

They also already increased the size of all the maps once. Once things get fine-tuned there's no reason they cant be made even bigger.... they are already pretty damn huge as-is. Traveling from 1 end to the other is a bitch.

Also people have been able to dig straight down for 1hr+ without ever reaching a bottom.

misery_sl

shitlord
I bet some monsters will have grappling hooks and picks. Or use their claws/teeth as picks.

Also would be nice to have maybe 2 or so landmarks in each map and make the maps longer, which would help spread the players out so everyone isn't trying to just build as close to the one landmark as they can.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I would imagine they are going to have to give pretty much all monsters some kind of hulk smash special attack where if there is a wall or barrier they cannot get through and cannot path around they hulk smash and just bust their way through.
In the EQN video they had that big golem follow the cat into a building and smash it. Supposedly that was controlled via a player but I could see some monsters having abilities to use when they get stuck.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The only thing that I think would be nice that I don't ever see coming is an offline/LAN version of Landmark. Not a reasonable expectation anyways. Setting up an entire island of content with story and scenarios could be fantastic for those into that kind of thing, complete with NPCs, monster placement, etc.

misery_sl

shitlord
The only thing that I think would be nice that I don't ever see coming is an offline/LAN version of Landmark. Not a reasonable expectation anyways. Setting up an entire island of content with story and scenarios could be fantastic for those into that kind of thing, complete with NPCs, monster placement, etc.
I'm certain there will be private servers or sandbox versions eventually.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
On water: Even on the current maps, its pretty obvious in some cases where there is "desert" near the forest biome, its actually designed to be under water.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I can't imagine how they're going to create a real combat system with manipulatable voxels. Minecraft is fun for a time but once you figure out the AI it's very simple to ruin a mob's ability to path. My favorite escape plan is to run to a wall, bust through it and close the other side. Will be nuts if they give mobs the ability to destroy voxels to chase you.
Well, you can only build inside your own claim in this game, so you would be unable to do that tactic anywhere else. In your own claim, you should be able to build traps ala Terraria to keep the mobs at bay. While I have no doubt that there will be mobs that break voxels, I doubt they will be able to break your creations, so I expect to see lots of pulling mobs into volcano or spike traps on their properties for easy exp/loot.

Since we are only able to destroy voxels outside of our own claim and not place them back, there is no reason "normal" mob AI shouldn't work just fine, where you can dig into a hole and try to get away from mobs that way, but if you can destroy something, so can they (outside of the claims). Could potentially build claims together to form a gauntlet for the mobs. If you have to run from mobs and try to hide on someone elses property (assuming this game will turn into a "survival"ish sort of game, where you will need a house), you will not be able to enter without permission. So technically the only safe spot in the entire zone would be your own claim.

Edit: Possible example with storybricks.

You are digging in a mountain, a gnoll hears/spots you within aggro range. It can not get to you due to geometry, it paths to the gnoll camp to get a pickaxe. Once it gets it, it is now more dangerous (weapon) and it remembers its last target, paths back to your last location. If you are still there, it starts coming towards you. If not, there is now a gnoll with the ability to come after miners in the world.