EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I swear I read a dev , maybe Georgeson , saying the opposite. That these are the sizes of the islands , just there will be more of them and different kinds.

Who knows though I might have read that from a forum poster also.
He did! I was dubious about that "fact", and it turned out to be false, in the end:

Forum Post_sl said:
Dave Georgeson tweeted out today that the "Islands" are not getting any bigger.

The only thing that will change is their shape.

They are also going to add more of them to each server.
I'm okay with that, though. I think smaller islands are better for stability and community.

Droigan_sl said:
Well, you can only build inside your own claim in this game, so you would be unable to do that tactic anywhere else.
You can actually build dirt blocks outside your claim. Some people are complaining that people are building walls around the wizard spires, forcing people to mine through them.. I laughed.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
curious.. running around my FPS fluctuate and CPU is listed next to it. That trying to tell me my CPU is a bottleneck?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
You can definitely build or destroy the world outside of your claim but it will heal itself over time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
damn! ha.. Here's to them optimizing. I haven't upgraded in a while. Probably going to wait till the end of the year. Get me much closer to EQN anyway.

I actually worry about the entry specs a bit. I hope they don't set the bar too high.. Not as many folks upgrading comps like they used to. I thought the overall hope was to get people who don't play MMO's but enjoy shit like Minecraft. Not so sure that group will have the systems to play EQL the way they are hoping.. Who knows tho.. NO idea where the end specs will fall.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
damn! ha.. Here's to them optimizing. I haven't upgraded in a while. Probably going to wait till the end of the year. Get me much closer to EQN anyway.

I actually worry about the entry specs a bit. I hope they don't set the bar too high.. Not as many folks upgrading comps like they used to. I thought the overall hope was to get people who don't play MMO's but enjoy shit like Minecraft. Not so sure that group will have the systems to play EQL the way they are hoping.. Who knows tho.. NO idea where the end specs will fall.
I don't think that FPS meter is telling you about a bottleneck. It probably has something to do with what is primarily processing the gfx or something. When I am running around the world normally it says GPU for me and when I am loading into a new zone it normally says CPU (no gfx to process really so makes sense). I could be completely wrong but I doubt my i7 4ghz hexacore is a bottleneck so ..yea..

Caliane

Monsters can destroyvoxelsin EQN just fine.

Starbound had this problem too, eventually they just let boss creatures destroy structures to get at players.
Terraria has bosses just phase right through walls, etc. This solution works best, when your buildings can't be saved.
Earlier versions of the game had an npc that through bombs. and those bombs could destroy player placed blocks. It just pissed everyone off. even just single player. add in multiplayer, and griefing by training bosses, which can destroy player built objects? yeah. opening more cans of worms.

Starbound, as you note changed the first boss to allow it to break blocks, as it was being cheesed. many other attacks do break bricks, but to a lesser degree. dragon can. even some player weapons.
It also has natural hazards in meteors that can break bricks. Starbound is also still in alpha, and I would not expect it to stay as is.

Landmark has the advantage of the saving. Repairing a damaged structure to a previous state should be much easier. The issue would be of materials as they are destroyed. do they drop on the ground, for all the grab, or if someone trains a boss onto your claim, and it destroys your wizard tower, will those materials get sent to your vault?

Frankly, I want a carpenter npc in starbound, that will rebuild any player placed block back to its original placement, when destroyed by npc/environment.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
He did! I was dubious about that "fact", and it turned out to be false, in the end:
I'm okay with that, though. I think smaller islands are better for stability and community.
You can actually build dirt blocks outside your claim. Some people are complaining that people are building walls around the wizard spires, forcing people to mine through them.. I laughed.
Got a source link?

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Starbound, as you note changed the first boss to allow it to break blocks, as it was being cheesed. many other attacks do break bricks, but to a lesser degree. dragon can. even some player weapons. It also has natural hazards in meteors that can break bricks. Starbound is also still in alpha, and I would not expect it to stay as is.

Landmark has the advantage of the saving. Repairing a damaged structure to a previous state should be much easier. The issue would be of materials as they are destroyed. do they drop on the ground, for all the grab, or if someone trains a boss onto your claim, and it destroys your wizard tower, will those materials get sent to your vault?

Frankly, I want a carpenter npc in starbound, that will rebuild any player placed block back to its original placement, when destroyed by npc/environment.
In Starbound, if you spawn a boss mob over your house you built and he trashes it, the lesson people learn is not to spawn it near their house. /shrug

As for Landmark, yeah it would be terrible if someone dragged a monster thru someones house as a griefing tactic.

Honestly, from what we're hearing about islands staying the same size, the overworld will probably just be for housing and all the monsters will be down below. They'll probably leash and would never make it up top where they can do any damage. Remember they said no subterranean claims right now either. They also could just make claimed areas immune to npc damage, just like its immune to non-friendly player meddling.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that SOE had licensed the voxel tech (I thought they just did it on their own through the forgelight engine), and this post answers some of my questions about how water is going to work.
They've previously described Forgelight as very modular, so they are able to incorporate things like storybricks and voxels.

Caliane

In Starbound, if you spawn a boss mob over your house you built and he trashes it, the lesson people learn is not to spawn it near their house. /shrug

As for Landmark, yeah it would be terrible if someone dragged a monster thru someones house as a griefing tactic.

Honestly, from what we're hearing about islands staying the same size, the overworld will probably just be for housing and all the monsters will be down below. They'll probably leash and would never make it up top where they can do any damage. Remember they said no subterranean claims right now either. They also could just make claimed areas immune to npc damage, just like its immune to non-friendly player meddling.
yeah. but again starbound is barebones as well still.
town invasions are planned like terraria has I am pretty sure.

Regardless. These are building games. Minecraft even has a sandbox mode of course with no monsters. Consideration certainly needs to be given both ways. Monsters leashing at claims is certainly an option, and claims being immune to damage. so claims can't be damage, and they can't be used to trap/cheese if monsters run away/clip when trapped on a claim. Certainly an option.
That said, its also a bit heavy handed in that direction. Having a boss attack your claim Godzilla style sounds fun as hell. it would be disappointing if they just take the easy way out.

Shame on hearing about island size. seems small imho.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
I don't think that FPS meter is telling you about a bottleneck. It probably has something to do with what is primarily processing the gfx or something. When I am running around the world normally it says GPU for me and when I am loading into a new zone it normally says CPU (no gfx to process really so makes sense). I could be completely wrong but I doubt my i7 4ghz hexacore is a bottleneck so ..yea..
In Planetside2, the same GPU/CPU meter is used. It indicates what the game is currently processing, so if you see GPU indicated, its currently processing GPU stuff, etc.

Idealy, you want the meter to be quickly flipping between the two. Again, the game isn't optimized so it's hard to say what is the real bottleneck if you are running into problems.
I'd also add that during Planetside2 beta and I think even now, Forgelight absolutely hates AMD cpu's. It may or may not be fixed by now because of PS4.

Source: Planetside2 Dev

Randin

Trakanon Raider
One way to lessen the griefing potential of mobs being able to damage player structures would be to make it so that structures subject to that sort of damage would heal over time, just as the landscape heals outside of plots. That way you could still have mobs hulk-smashing their way through the world, but without requiring players to manually pick up the pieces. Could also work with pvp, depending on just how painful they want it to be to have your building destroyed in pvp scenarios.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Idealy, you want the meter to be quickly flipping between the two. Again, the game isn't optimized so it's hard to say what is the real bottleneck if you are running into problems.
I'd also add that during Planetside2 beta and I think even now, Forgelight absolutely hates AMD cpu's. It may or may not be fixed by now because of PS4.

Source: Planetside2 Dev
Yea you basically just said the same thing I already said... Im not running into problems at all, I was responding to previous posters.

xzi

Mouthbreather
You know, it's not much but I find it pretty awesome that there's plots set up all over the place with nothing but all the crafting tables and it just says "Feel free to craft!" whenever you enter. A lot of them have absolutely nothing else built but the crafting tables.

I just find that cool as fuck at this point in the game so you don't have to run all the way back to the crystal thing.