EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Menion_sl

shitlord
Love the game so far but they really need to add a Cylinder tool. Would also like to see them allow you to rotate objects on a smaller degree. Right now everything flips on a 90 degree when you rotate it. Has anyone had issued copying and pasting items or having items come back from a template missing voxels? When I copy and paste large items (Yes, my selection tool completely covers the item with a 1 block buffer) it comes back missing large chunks sometimes.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Accidentally made an extra rubicite trimmed workbench. If anyone wants to trade for it, I'd take just some wood (40 burled planks), save yourself 1000 logs, 50 elemental rubicite, 5000 rubicite and 6000 cobalt.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm now in sapphire hell , have enough cobalt to construct a blue fortress , but still no sapphire to make my next pick. Any tricks to this ?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I'm now in sapphire hell , have enough cobalt to construct a blue fortress , but still no sapphire to make my next pick. Any tricks to this ?
see earlier posts for cobalt "node types" that often yield sapphire. or just keep diggin, that's what I did.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
If you missed earlier posts :

i) Sapphire only spawns under Cobalt when there is no Rubicite attached to it - if you mine Cobalt and see red leave it immediately and move on;

ii) The area of Sapphire is very, very small, not like other gems;

iii) it's also usually very dark brown not blue so it just looks like a very small brown patch of dirt (keep a small lightstone handy or you have zero chance of seeing it at night);

iv) if you mine Cobalt and there is no rubicite attached to it the odds are high that there is Sapphire there but you have missed it.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
I'm browsing the screenshots thread on the official forums. People are starting to build awesome.

I've been away for a few days, and really looking forward to getting in game and wander around.

Edit:
Have they talked about adding functionality to Upvote/Like buildings?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Love the game so far but they really need to add a Cylinder tool.
Yea. The cut-n-paste 1-voxel sphere trick is nice and dandy, but it would change things a lot to have a cylinder shape in the "paintbrush" section.

Would also like to see them allow you to rotate objects on a smaller degree.
Can't really be done. The way the voxel stuff work is that you've got a small voxel block, which can be "partially shaved" across various planes (look at the brush shapes). Any volume must be approximated using those voxel blocks, which makes automatically rotating voxel volumes by anything except 90 degrees pretty much impossible. If you disable to voxel smoothing, you can see better how the voxel building bricks are assembled to make your shape.

I assume that's also why you can't have a 1-voxel line from the line tool, mapping the partial volume into the closest voxel brick would probably lead to broken lines at many inclinations.

(and that's one of the reasons why I've pretty much abandoned my idea of a floating cube on its vertex. It really can't be done cleanly. I need another esoteric ruin idea)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm browsing the screenshots thread on the official forums. People are starting to build awesome.
Tweeted by Georgeson, and I admit it is awesome to fit that in a single claim:

Coldnytes Claim - Imgur

Have they talked about adding functionality to Upvote/Like buildings?
I don't think it's going to be in-game, although it would be an extraordinary addition.

Thing is, in two-three months, we're going to be beyond this, as they add NPCs and mobs with scriptable AI to populate our claims.

Emotiv

Silver Squire
They must be going crazy at SOE right now. EQNext is being built right in front of them, and Landmark is in early Alpha. Real talent is just dropping creations on them hand over fist.

There's no reason why EQN shouldn't have the best architecture and design in the MMO genre.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
If you missed earlier posts :

i) Sapphire only spawns under Cobalt when there is no Rubicite attached to it - if you mine Cobalt and see red leave it immediately and move on;

ii) The area of Sapphire is very, very small, not like other gems;

iii) it's also usually very dark brown not blue so it just looks like a very small brown patch of dirt (keep a small lightstone handy or you have zero chance of seeing it at night);

iv) if you mine Cobalt and there is no rubicite attached to it the odds are high that there is Sapphire there but you have missed it.
Or use a level 2 sifter! Never have to look for cobalt at all.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Yea. The cut-n-paste 1-voxel sphere trick is nice and dandy, but it would change things a lot to have a cylinder shape in the "paintbrush" section.

Can't really be done. The way the voxel stuff work is that you've got a small voxel block, which can be "partially shaved" across various planes (look at the brush shapes). Any volume must be approximated using those voxel blocks, which makes automatically rotating voxel volumes by anything except 90 degrees pretty much impossible. If you disable to voxel smoothing, you can see better how the voxel building bricks are assembled to make your shape.

I assume that's also why you can't have a 1-voxel line from the line tool, mapping the partial volume into the closest voxel brick would probably lead to broken lines at many inclinations.

(and that's one of the reasons why I've pretty much abandoned my idea of a floating cube on its vertex. It really can't be done cleanly. I need another esoteric ruin idea)
What is the 1 voxel sphere trick? Also, why are some tool shapes locked to be so big? Like the slant tool does not drop down to a 1 size.

Raign

Golden Squire
Yeah.. Sapphires are awful. Got enough for my line tool, and about 2/3 of the way to my next pick but that is after a few hours of farming cobalt. I have had 0 sapphires come from sifts despite dumping 100k stone through them (yes, it was a level 2 :p).

Some of the stuff being made is pretty amazing. I honestly had 0 hope for EQ:N prior to playing Landmarks Alpha... and now, the combination of how great this game is even at such an early stage coupled with the fact that ponytail is amazing has me totally on-board the EQ:N train.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What is the 1 voxel sphere trick?
Make a sphere somewhere. Use the select tool to cut a 1 voxel-high slice from the middle. Paste at your cylinder base, then up 1 voxel, paste, up 1 voxel, paste. For long cylinders, when you've pasted 4-5 voxels, select the cylinder base, copy, paste up.
Also, why are some tool shapes locked to be so big? Like the slant tool does not drop down to a 1 size.
As I said, the problem with non-regular shapes (and that include the spheres) is that the game actually makes an approximation of the shape using voxels that are sliced. A voxel form of anti-aliasing, if you prefer. But like anti-aliasing, the illusion of finer details breaks down if your line/shape/whatever is too small.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah.. Sapphires are awful. Got enough for my line tool, and about 2/3 of the way to my next pick but that is after a few hours of farming cobalt. I have had 0 sapphires come from sifts despite dumping 100k stone through them (yes, it was a level 2 :p).

Some of the stuff being made is pretty amazing. I honestly had 0 hope for EQ:N prior to playing Landmarks Alpha... and now, the combination of how great this game is even at such an early stage coupled with the fact that ponytail is amazing has me totally on-board the EQ:N train.
Interesting...I have over 1k sapphire from sifter. I had discovery items on by chance, I wonder if that is making a difference....hmm

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
They must be going crazy at SOE right now. EQNext is being built right in front of them, and Landmark is in early Alpha. Real talent is just dropping creations on them hand over fist.

There's no reason why EQN shouldn't have the best architecture and design in the MMO genre.
Yeah, with tens of thousands of players, there's going to be a lot of very talented people building stuff in Alpha. It's going to get even crazier in open beta and release. When I see pics like that floating house, I get excited for EQ Next, while at the same time realize I have zero artistic talent and will probably get bored of Landmark pretty quickly if the exploring part of it isn't any fun.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yeah, with tens of thousands of players, there's going to be a lot of very talented people building stuff in Alpha. It's going to get even crazier in open beta and release. When I see pics like that floating house, I get excited for EQ Next, while at the same time realizeI have zero artistic talent and will probably get bored of Landmark pretty quickly if the exploring part of it isn't any fun.
Yeah, this is why I'm avoiding this so far. I figure the best part of the game is watching Georgeson's twitter feed...

Raign

Golden Squire
Interesting...I have over 1k sapphire from sifter. I had discovery items on by chance, I wonder if that is making a difference....hmm
You know, it might. I will try with mine on when I get home. Stone is a pretty easy farm with the high-end picks digging around 50 a shot so it certainly SEEMS like it should be a more reliable option.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider

hmm, I haven't seen a ton of impressive work yet. I really don't think (I hope) that Sony is counting on any real content coming out of this effort. Players will expect professionally developed content for 100% of EQNext.