EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
hmm, I haven't seen a ton of impressive work yet. I really don't think (I hope) that Sony is counting on any real content coming out of this effort. Players will expect professionally developed content for 100% of EQNext.
When they say you are helping build Next I don't think they are going to be as literal as copy and pasting a building you made. I bet if they see something they like they will take it as use it as a base to improve and build upon using the tools they have.

We are basically little idea generators for the development team.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
hmm, I haven't seen a ton of impressive work yet. I really don't think (I hope) that Sony is counting on any real content coming out of this effort. Players will expect professionally developed content for 100% of EQNext.
I imagine the actual 'content' will be professional developed, but you can bet your ass that tons of player made architecture will make it into EQN. They have really pushed that idea from the start.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Quote from this page:Landmark - EverQuest Next

Permanent Change
Make Your Mark
The best buildings players create will become part of Norrath - the EverQuest Next world - FOREVER! We'll be running exclusive contests to design parts of the world AND our designers will be keeping an eye out for the coolest fortresses, castles, caves, treehouses, fireplaces - anything awesome that fits within the world of Norrath. You never know when something you build might become a Landmark!
And given enough time (i.e. more then 3 weeks of alpha) I think we will see the equivalent of thisminecraft Kings landing - Google zoekenin Landmark, like complete Wood Elf tree towns, huge castles and intricately decorated interiors galore. The tools are still crude and people are still learning in alpha; you also have to give group-projects some time. SOE would be stupid not to use a huge amount of playermade assets, off course they still have to build a credable world and be adhering to a certain theme, but I think they will have a lot to choose from 1 year from now.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Quote from this page:Landmark - EverQuest Next

And given enough time (i.e. more then 3 weeks of alpha) I think we will see the equivalent of thisminecraft Kings landing - Google zoekenin Landmark, like complete Wood Elf tree towns, huge castles and intricately decorated interiors galore.
I think they are using this as a great marketing angle. I'm sure whatever is made that is placed in game will be relatively selective and probably results of promotional winners. I'm not thinking 100's of assets are going to be ported over but maybe quite a few. It's going to pull your EQ guys into Landmark because they'll want to make EQ influenced assets and try to get them into game. This helps SoE add a little EQ player not to mention make people part of EQNext.

I think it's a pretty savvy move. I do think you're going to see housing, crafting, building, etc. be pretty consistent from EQNL to EQN. I believe we'll be able to buy plots in EQN and it essentially become EQNL for the particular housing/guild hall plot. What will be nice is the fact there will be no learning curve. Everyone will be familiar with EQNL tools and that will port directly over to EQN.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One concern I'd have is how much effort it'd be to take a large amount of player made voxel art and make it efficient enough to run. Minecraft is so basic and ugly that even the poorly optimized and ambitious rendering worked out ok (Though any large changes in lighting really hose the engine).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm now in sapphire hell , have enough cobalt to construct a blue fortress , but still no sapphire to make my next pick. Any tricks to this ?
Only trick is if you see red in the vein move along as no sapphire will be there. The big problem with sapphire is currently its voxels are dirt textured. So you simply cannot tell where it is. Basically if you get a cobalt node with no hint of rubicite mine the ever living jesus out of that area and you may get some sapphires.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting...I have over 1k sapphire from sifter. I had discovery items on by chance, I wonder if that is making a difference....hmm
oh dear god I am going to have to build the mega sifter arn't I. Just the thought of the lumber murder necessary to get 100 burrled logs is a bit daunting.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
see earlier posts for cobalt "node types" that often yield sapphire. or just keep diggin, that's what I did.
If you missed earlier posts :

i) Sapphire only spawns under Cobalt when there is no Rubicite attached to it - if you mine Cobalt and see red leave it immediately and move on;

ii) The area of Sapphire is very, very small, not like other gems;

iii) it's also usually very dark brown not blue so it just looks like a very small brown patch of dirt (keep a small lightstone handy or you have zero chance of seeing it at night);

iv) if you mine Cobalt and there is no rubicite attached to it the odds are high that there is Sapphire there but you have missed it.
Or use a level 2 sifter! Never have to look for cobalt at all.
Thanks , went back and looked earlier , knew about all except for the bit about its likely there if no rubicite, I'll have to remember to basically terraform any cobalt I find without red.

I don't know , for as little as this has been out , and as rough as the tools are , I think the potential is huge and some of it has been impressive to me for how few tools they have currently.

After people got familiar with Minecraft you have Westeros being developed.

Once this thing has been out a while ,further tools implemented and alpha-beta-stable goes , I think it will be rather over the top what some will make.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Then, honestly, you just haven't looked very hard. People are posting some really amazing shit.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For all of you people who have spent time building and have gotten things to a point where you are happy with them... what are you going to do now? Tear it down and start something else? Run around and look at other peoples stuff? Just curious.

misery_sl

shitlord
For all of you people who have spent time building and have gotten things to a point where you are happy with them... what are you going to do now? Tear it down and start something else? Run around and look at other peoples stuff? Just curious.
I made an alright temple with a giant tower and a garden on top. Under it was a little stone fortress with a giant skull at the entrance with a moat. I templated the entire thing and deleted my claim for a quick fix of the land. Now I can't fit my template into the claim space because it's so big that some part of it is always outside the claim box, and I can't see the entire claim box because I'm on a mountain. So I built a little ugly stone building with a bunch of balls floating around it. I'm taking a break for now, waiting for some big updates and keeping in touch with this thread and DG's twitter. Enjoying the pictures, etc. I'll build something really awesome someday, but right now I don't feel like throwing too much time into it. I already nerded out for launch weekend and it's time for a little me-break.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
not even really started to build yet, still crafting and getting stuff... but the good thing is that if you do clear it out you get all your mats back. Plus it's alpha, the point is to build, craft, and break crap. So yea, once i build something, i'll template it so i don't have to build it again, then tear it down and try something else. That is kinda the point of landmark isn't it?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For a lot of people in minecraft the challenge isn't wondering what to build next, it's trying to finish your current project before getting sidetracked on the next one!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Im working on a project that is very time consuming, so I wont be finished anytime soon, but if I wanted to take a break and do something different I can easily template my work, delete my plot, and start over (and can always resume my current project later)... imagination is endless and as you build stuff you'll continually learn new tricks to doing things. People are only scratching the surface atm. We never ran out of ideas in minecraft.

For a lot of people in minecraft the challenge isn't wondering what to build next, it's trying to finish your current project before getting sidetracked on the next one!
Precisely.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
On the bright side, the building tools in EQNL are thousands of times more powerful than Minecraft's. Given the gathered resources, we could have done our MC church's floors and main walls in less than an hour.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
One fortunate side effect of being limited to a single alpha claim is that we're compelled to finish our first idea before moving on to another one
tongue.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One of the most fun buildings I made was an underwater glass dome that I filled with a tree house. I think Azziane and I did that together.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know its alpha but I want to see larger plots with multiple people working on it so we can do cities and even dungeons.

I have seen some amazing buildings so far though.