EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So, the next biomes are snowy (Everfrost) and swamp (feerrott). The Crystal Caverns is of course the underground stuff. But... alchemy?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Some progression on my tower, still very much a work in progress. Decided to start painting it up a bit while construction is underway. One lesson learned is smoothing before painting makes painting a big pain in the ass. Paint first, smooth later.

rrr_img_59992.jpg
rrr_img_59993.jpg
rrr_img_59994.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Technically the question would be a CURRENT limitation - remember it's very much a work in progress - but yea that was jarring to me too. Apparently it's "dug out" and not actually player made though, so the smoothing tools and such people mentioned might not be usable on it?

Regardless though, it's astounding and with some polish could be pretty F-ing crazy.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It's a limitation of the engine, the second & third pics shows the head pre-smoothing so it's definitely player made and not dug out.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Smoothing is very tricky in this game. The size of the smooth box determines how "smooth" the game will make something, but you also lose some of the finer details. Smoothing pointed edges (like those teeth) will always be problematic. When you enlarge the smoothing tool it does a really good job at making things look seamless as it takes into account more voxels and does a smooth pass between them all. When you shrink the smooth tool to only affect a few voxels at a time, it is only attempting to smooth out the edges between 2-3 voxels which leads to the "stepped" look as shown above.

Kinda hard to explain... it would be fixable if we had more control over what to smooth, right now its kinda random. Definitely an issue with pointed edges though, also the fact you can't "unsmooth" makes it tough to re-work until it looks perfect. Ideally you might want to create a tooth independently, template the raw design, then try a few smoothing passes until you get a good result.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Question for anybody that has worked with Google Sketchup: how do the EQLandmark tools and possibilities compare to what you can do in Sketchup?

I have learned to work with Sketchup when I had a big remodeling job to my house done and I hear a lot of the same phrases like "line-tool"and such. I am pretty sure that Sketchup has more tools and possibilities (to finetune) but I am curious if anyone thinks that EQlandmark comes close (or rather will come close in the future) to what you can do in Sketchup.

Raign

Golden Squire
Smoothing is very tricky in this game. The size of the smooth box determines how "smooth" the game will make something, but you also lose some of the finer details. Smoothing pointed edges (like those teeth) will always be problematic. When you enlarge the smoothing tool it does a really good job at making things look seamless as it takes into account more voxels and does a smooth pass between them all. When you shrink the smooth tool to only affect a few voxels at a time, it is only attempting to smooth out the edges between 2-3 voxels which leads to the "stepped" look as shown above.

Kinda hard to explain... it would be fixable if we had more control over what to smooth, right now its kinda random. Definitely an issue with pointed edges though, also the fact you can't "unsmooth" makes it tough to re-work until it looks perfect. Ideally you might want to create a tooth independently, template the raw design, then try a few smoothing passes until you get a good result.
This. Smoothing and columns/archs are right now the biggest limitations in the game (in my opinion anyway). I am working on the entrance from Emerald Jungle to Sebilis right now and creating even the rough arches from EQ is very difficult since you need to cut a sphere and then smoothing the cut is problematic. Columns are a little easier to work around, but still a LOT more work than they should be.

If/when they refine/add those, you will have a pretty amazing tool-set to work with.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Somewhat off topic but logging into Landmark last night I was greeted by the original EQ theme that was reworked by Soule. Fire time I have heard it in game. It almost made wish I was logging into EQNext. I may be in the minority and I am not sure if this what their primary intention but Landmark has really caused me to think about Next and even generated some hype within me.

EDIT... HA! Found it....

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Sometime near end of closed beta and start of open beta is what they've been saying.

P.S. Rubies are the new bane of my existence.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Anyone wanna set me up with a pass? I'd buy it but the money's dried up and no mas. I won't lie the theme music got me pretty excited.
They're closed beta only (and limited to 1 week) and haven't passed them out yet. I'm sure there'll be plenty here for the taking once SoE does start handing them out.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
... I am not sure if this what their primary intention but Landmark has really caused me to think about Next and even generated some hype within me...
maybe notthePRIMARY intention, but an immediate 2nd.

of course they want to give you a pre EQ:N chubby... by tying in the awesome but rather secular experience we're having with Landmark now to our EQ memories, and expectations and anticipation of things to come with EQ:N

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to try this tonight just to experiment, but i keep seeing screenshots with triangle shapes and am curious how people are creating these. You would think it would be easy since you have a cube, you should be able to just angle it and slice it in half, but i don't see how that can happen.
A cube can be copy and then pasted and then rotated to be up like a diamond? I've not tried this for some reason has anyone else tried to figur eout how to tilt up a cube onto 1 corner and then chop it up?