EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I think you're expecting too much from the land grab, Quaid. Additional servers, new biomes added etc and the fact that you dont have an underlying MMO where prime estate is close to Britannia or whatever all speak against it imo. I mean of course nice spots are worth more then boring spots, but I wouldnt count on a huge difference.

P.S. I havent actually bought Landmark (yet), but I have no qualms about doing so if I feel like it eventually. Just not sure if the minecrafty part holds my interest, hopefully there's more info on exploring random biomes soon (had some fun in cubeworld but with 1 spare time dev thats a dead end).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't see them giving players much of an advantage longterm. The goal is to keep people playing not helping the early buyins monopolize the game. The advantage is just early access and learning how the game works. Long term I'm not sure how much that will matter.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Remember, the servers will be completely wiped at the end of alpha. Your land grab will vanish at that time.
You get a head start over anyone who doesn't pay the 200 for 2 days after that before open beta. So those who pay 100 will get 2 days of land grab time in the non wiped servers before anyone else.

misery_sl

shitlord
Remember, the servers will be completely wiped at the end of alpha. Your land grab will vanish at that time.
Here's how it is supposed to play out. Yes, your land grab will vanish at the end of alpha. However, the 48 (or more) hour headstart for the $99 package will begin before the official start of open beta. These claims that are found will never be wiped, even into the official release of Landmark. All the alpha will do is give us a little more experience as to where would be the best places to stake our claims. The headstart perk will let us use that experience to the best of our abilities for two, or possibly more, days before anyone else gets a go at it. Which will end up being permanent.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here's how it is supposed to play out. Yes, your land grab will vanish at the end of alpha. However, the 48 (or more) hour headstart for the $99 package will begin before the official start of open beta. These claims that are found will never be wiped, even into the official release of Landmark. All the alpha will do is give us a little more experience as to where would be the best places to stake our claims. The headstart perk will let us use that experience to the best of our abilities for two, or possibly more, days before anyone else gets a go at it. Which will end up being permanent.
Here's the thing.. They plan to open multiple instances of the same world. People will just flock to those.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Here's the thing.. They plan to open multiple instances of the same world. People will just flock to those.
Will flock to both them?
mad.png

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I thought I was only slightly serious about zero full retail price pc releases coming out in 2014 that would interest me, but after looking everything over its a maybe for Titanfall and that's it.

Sad , but EQL and indie steam games may be it for me other than Titanfall.

Just wondering how long they will sell the alpha pack.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Where have they said this? I've understood something totally different... And I've been following ths game quite closely.

Here's what I've understood, and why I think there will in fact be a land grab.

1. Servers will have procedurally generated 'continents' all continents on every server, except for one, will have no SOE imposed building restrictions. However, on one continent per server, a Norrathian architecture only rule will be in place.

2. Each biome on every continent will have a 'landmark'. Landmarks are social hubs where new playes spawn, and where people travel between continents, and servers. There will also be 'player stalls' where people set up shops at Landmarks.

The plots in close proximity to Landmarks on the 'Norrath' continents are thr ones that will be in limited supply/higher demand. Sure, there will be many servers, but there will be limited real estate, for example, for a plot close to a Landmark in the frost biome on the 'Norrath' continent on the server. Not to mention, as has happened in other games, the earliest servers will come with some prestige/population advantages.

Or maybe I spent $40 on a stupid in game ring and a forum title. Could go either way really.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I thought I was only slightly serious about zero full retail price pc releases coming out in 2014 that would interest me, but after looking everything over its a maybe for Titanfall and that's it.

Sad , but EQL and indie steam games may be it for me other than Titanfall.

Just wondering how long they will sell the alpha pack.
Haha exact same boat as me. This and Titanfall are all I'm interested in at all really... Starbound looks fun too, actually... And if Dugeon Defenders 2 is any good ill give that a go.

They are selling the alpha pack until closed beta begins.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Dark souls 2 is the only game I'm probably getting at retail price next year.

While it probably won't work this way in practice, anyone ever read Snow Crash? The way they describe it makes it seem like they want players to buy and sell land, and that some plots would be innately more valuable. It makes me think of Snow Crash in that some of the first dudes to get in and claim housing and make cool hangouts in the first area became massively valuable and popular spots years down the line. Everyone should read snow crash, the main character's name is Hiro Protagonist and it takes place in a world where a pizza company is the biggest gang in the world. Anyway, how did that end up playing out on second life, I remember hearing about people paying stupid amounts to buy premium land, but I don't know what the criteria for it was in that game.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
They keep pushing this idea of creating your own MMO with Landmark tools, which is nice and all until 500 people want 500 different things and every server turns into Second Life. SOE needs to have a long term goal of letting people manage their own server complete with unique rules and all the AI tools they're promising to give us. Some group of dudes would make voxel EQ1 fast.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Where have they said this? I've understood something totally different... And I've been following ths game quite closely.

Here's what I've understood, and why I think there will in fact be a land grab.

1. Servers will have procedurally generated 'continents' all continents on every server, except for one, will have no SOE imposed building restrictions. However, on one continent per server, a Norrathian architecture only rule will be in place.

2. Each biome on every continent will have a 'landmark'. Landmarks are social hubs where new playes spawn, and where people travel between continents, and servers. There will also be 'player stalls' where people set up shops at Landmarks.

The plots in close proximity to Landmarks on the 'Norrath' continents are thr ones that will be in limited supply/higher demand. Sure, there will be many servers, but there will be limited real estate, for example, for a plot close to a Landmark in the frost biome on the 'Norrath' continent on the server. Not to mention, as has happened in other games, the earliest servers will come with some prestige/population advantages.

Or maybe I spent $40 on a stupid in game ring and a forum title. Could go either way really.
Yeah it's like Ultima Online. Who wouldn't want a two days advantage on where to plant your house in UO ?

The other thing is claims near dungeons, claims on the best mining spots, claims near obvious bottlenecks in land masses, claims near travel hubs or major crossroads etc. To me learning about which of these issues are relevant, what is important in deciding on where to put claims, how to make claims and all the associated game theory is a massive part of the benefit of being in alpha. Then getting a head start in actually deciding where to put your claims is massive.

Bruman

Golden Squire
UO was a static world. EQNL being generated, makes it a completely different situation.

There might be land grabs near the landmarks, but there will be plenty of awesome far off locations if you want them.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Been gone a week so correct me if I'm wrong if anyone has a specific source.

It was my understanding the "Norrath Continent" was napkin talk about how EQ3 might work with player made content, not necessarily anything specific to Landmark.

That being said, it doesn't mean SOE won't have a 'Fantasy/Roleplay' themed server, continent or w/e, or Norrath themed one.

On top of that, I don't recall there being SOE-policed themed servers. Players can designate it themselves and SOE would support it, but like they said, if a french-speaking themed server comes to be, they're not going to ban English players from it or something.

When asked about if someone builds a phallic tower next to stunningly brick-for-brick replica of Downton Abbey, I always recall SOE just saying if you don't like your neighbors, pack up and move or find like minded people and work out claiming adjacent areas so you can have a buffer.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Somewhere they said they would not allow trademark-infringing or offensive things to be built, which I think is a can-of-worms they're going to have trouble with.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
UO was a static world. EQNL being generated, makes it a completely different situation.

There might be land grabs near the landmarks, but there will be plenty of awesome far off locations if you want them.
SOE expects real estate trade to be a big thing through player studio. They take a percentage of all player studio transactions. Why wouldn't they then, put systems in place that increase the value of plots? Wouldn't it be in their best interest for certain land to become highly coveted, and thus expensive, so they can make a bigger cut on these transactions?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Been gone a week so correct me if I'm wrong if anyone has a specific source.

It was my understanding the "Norrath Continent" was napkin talk about how EQ3 might work with player made content, not necessarily anything specific to Landmark.

That being said, it doesn't mean SOE won't have a 'Fantasy/Roleplay' themed server, continent or w/e, or Norrath themed one.

On top of that, I don't recall there being SOE-policed themed servers. Players can designate it themselves and SOE would support it, but like they said, if a french-speaking themed server comes to be, they're not going to ban English players from it or something.

When asked about if someone builds a phallic tower next to stunningly brick-for-brick replica of Downton Abbey, I always recall SOE just saying if you don't like your neighbors, pack up and move or find like minded people and work out claiming adjacent areas so you can have a buffer.
From what ive understood, all Landmark servers will have multiple proceedurally generated continents, only one of which has an enforced 'Norrathian Theme' on it.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
From what ive understood, all Landmark servers will have multiple proceedurally generated continents, only one of which has an enforced 'Norrathian Theme' on it.
They explicitly stated this in one of the Live Streams. While there will be all kinds of communities, as you stated one continent will be Norrathian-only EQN style development.