EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Somewhere they said they would not allow trademark-infringing or offensive things to be built, which I think is a can-of-worms they're going to have trouble with.
I seen that as well but I took its meaning as people selling their creations on the playerstudio. For example, they can not legally sell a complete re-creation of another IP such as Lord of the Rings, if some dude builds Hobbiton, they can not in any way profit off of it but I doubt they're going to tell him he can't make it at all. He just can't put it up for sale.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I seen that as well but I took its meaning as people selling their creations on the playerstudio. For example, they can not legally sell a complete re-creation of another IP such as Lord of the Rings, if some dude builds Hobbiton, they can not in any way profit off of it but I doubt they're going to tell him he can't make it at all. He just can't put it up for sale.
That would make a lot sense and be much easier to police.

Although they're totally missing out on a lot of cash by not having a "dongs" category for the playerstudio.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I was listening to one of the videos and they said something like, "You can't use copyrighted materials, so if we see a star trek style USS enterprise, we have a tool to make the creation on the plot of land invisible until the issue is resolved."

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I was listening to one of the videos and they said something like, "You can't use copyrighted materials, so if we see a star trek style USS enterprise, we have a tool to make the creation on the plot of land invisible until the issue is resolved."
So... Some dude feels the need to made a peniswastika... Random douche /reports... GMs immediately invis your art.

Better system than I was envisioning for sure.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Pretty good solution.. build a huge veiny cock tower if you want.. just dont expect anyone else to see it.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah it's like Ultima Online. Who wouldn't want a two days advantage on where to plant your house in UO ?

The other thing is claims near dungeons, claims on the best mining spots, claims near obvious bottlenecks in land masses, claims near travel hubs or major crossroads etc. To me learning about which of these issues are relevant, what is important in deciding on where to put claims, how to make claims and all the associated game theory is a massive part of the benefit of being in alpha. Then getting a head start in actually deciding where to put your claims is massive.
I agree with everything you've said, and I hope I'm preaching to the choir, but the one major thing that I think you're overlooking is how far from "finished" EQNL is going to be during the 2 day head start at the end of alpha. Your character won't even be able to swing a rusty dagger at a decaying skeleton ffs. Do you want to make bets on how fubar resource gathering balance is going to be in alpha or beta? Pre-beta claims may very well end up being better than average, but the associated "game theory" you're talking about is going to be laughably incomplete, and you'll do well to make your "well informed" decisions with a grain of salt.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Like I said, Landmark sounds better and better every day once you put aside the "this isn't EQ" baggage.
Once you start thinking "this is Minecraft survival mode with real spheres", everything becomes clearer.

misery_sl

shitlord
I agree with everything you've said, and I hope I'm preaching to the choir, but the one major thing that I think you're overlooking is how far from "finished" EQNL is going to be during the 2 day head start at the end of alpha.
The two day head start is at the end of CLOSED beta and right before the official opening of OPEN beta. Just to clear that part up again.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The two day head start is at the end of CLOSED beta and right before the official opening of OPEN beta. Just to clear that part up again.
Well, the servers are still going to be wiped (but you keep your character , skills, and inventory), so landgrab away if that's what's interesting.

misery_sl

shitlord
Well, the servers are still going to be wiped (but you keep your character , skills, and inventory), so landgrab away if that's what's interesting.
Whatever land you manage to get in the 48 hour (or more) time period that you get from being a trailblazer will persist into the actual launch of the game. Just to clear up any misconceptions.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Whatever land you manage to get in the 48 hour (or more) time period that you get from being a trailblazer will persist into the actual launch of the game. Just to clear up any misconceptions.
Yes. There's no wipe between open beta and launch (which tells you how "beta" the open beta is).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Open beta without wipe has become the standard for F2P titles, been that way for a few years. It's especially laughable when fanbois talk down flaws in a game with the beta excuse while said game has been open beta for half a year and is happily taking subscription money for the fast track.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
2013 Friends and Family = 1999 Alpha
2013 Technical Test = 1999 Closed Beta
2013 Alpha = 1999 Closed Beta
2013 Open Beta/Weekend Beta = 1999 Release
2013 Release = 1999 3-Month Post Release where they clean shit up to make the game playable.
2013 3-Months Post-Release = 1999 6-Month Post Release where they start churning out content but it's usually too late because everyone quit 3 months ago.

xzi

Mouthbreather
New video released today. He mentions giving all the tools which we already knew about, but even mentioned PvP tools as well in this video which is pretty exciting.

I can't wait to play, ahhhhhhh

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2013 Friends and Family = 1999 Alpha
2013 Technical Test = 1999 Closed Beta
2013 Alpha = 1999 Closed Beta
2013 Open Beta/Weekend Beta = 1999 Release
2013 Release = 1999 3-Month Post Release where they clean shit up to make the game playable.
2013 3-Months Post-Release = 1999 6-Month Post Release where they start churning out content but it's usually too late because everyone quit 3 months ago.
another 15 years and mmos will be playable at release!

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
New video released today. He mentions giving all the tools which we already knew about, but even mentioned PvP tools as well in this video which is pretty exciting.

I can't wait to play, ahhhhhhh
Would you like to...build a moat? TOO FUCKING BAD!

Bruman

Golden Squire
Would you like to...build a moat? TOO FUCKING BAD!
Why do you say that? They've confirmed water is in the game, just not ready to show yet.

Anywhos, not doing alpha access or any of that, but I think this will be damn fun to build in if it doesn't require eleventy billion hours of resource gathering first. Going to be much more intricate and detailed than Minecraft or Trove.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why do you say that? They've confirmed water is in the game, just not ready to show yet.

Anywhos, not doing alpha access or any of that, but I think this will be damn fun to build in if it doesn't require eleventy billion hours of resource gathering first. Going to be much more intricate and detailed than Minecraft or Trove.
Heh, I was just commenting on the earlier issues of voxel water. Have they showed any videos of voxel water yet?