EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They said 'Asian' and I wonder what they mean by that...
Asia is so large that by Asian, you can mean the persian-indian southwest asian architecture you showcased, or

asian-architecture-2118194.jpg
(eastern asia)

Palkhor_Monastery.jpg
(central asia)

61.jpg
(northern asia)

asian-architecture1-300x169.jpg
(southeast asia)

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Been working on an open-air throne for the dark elf foundation competition; not quite done, but the competition ends today, so it's only going to be getting some additions to the approach today. Other than that, I don't really have the time.

Anyways, this build is a little less "constructed" than most of the others; I tried focusing on the ground summoning technique that they use for their buildings, and kept the architecture to a minimum.

urr9UNx.png

More shots:
amSOz5P.png

Cc5cXCd.png

VDddBAC.png

3G6Rize.png

KNlEGDh.png

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They just finished the weekly livestream; some highlights:

Key rebinding is going in tomorrow (fucking finally)

Next week we're getting the ability to place water voxels (they won't dynamically flow yet, however)

They confirmed kerrans as the next workshop race. They decided to give the people building a break, so they're not showing the full style guide until next week, but they did show one building concept and a race concept as a teaser. Looking at Ukerric's Asian examples, the central Asian one looks the closest, from what I could tell from the quick look I got.

They also confirmed that EQN was going to launch with eight playable races. Based on the ebooks, that would be humans, elves, dark elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, ogres, and kerrans. However, they made it sound like iksar would be one of the playable races, so I guess cross one of the ebook races off the list.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player

Next week we're getting the ability to place water voxels (they won't dynamically flow yet, however)

They confirmed kerrans as the next workshop race. They decided to give the people building a break, so they're not showing the full style guide until next week, but they did show one building concept and a race concept as a teaser. Looking at Ukerric's Asian examples, the central Asian one looks the closest, from what I could tell from the quick look I got.

They also confirmed that EQN was going to launch with eight playable races. Based on the ebooks, that would be humans, elves, dark elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, ogres, and kerrans. However, they made it sound like iksar would be one of the playable races, so I guess cross one of the ebook races off the list.
Thanks for the update

Quaid

Trump's Staff

From my understanding, Iksar are one of the 8 playable races. I haven't seen any indication anywhere that Halflings are playable. IIRC there have been no major Halfling characters in the books or released lore. Yes, they refer to halflings in the ebooks (ex. Dancing halfling bar girl), but only as minor asides. They do the same thing with Erudites. They acknowledge that they exist in the world, but the Halflings are not a race of the Combine.

This also means that Barbarians will not be playable at launch, though they have stated 'The Founding of Halas' would be an early rallying call. The Barbarian race will probably be monetized and made available during this rallying call. I predict a similar thing to happen with Halflings, Trolls, Ratonga, Fae etc etc.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
From my understanding, Iksar are one of the 8 playable races. I haven't seen any indication anywhere that Halflings are playable. IIRC there have been no major Halfling characters in the books or released lore. Yes, they refer to halflings in the ebooks (ex. Dancing halfling bar girl), but only as minor asides. They do the same thing with Erudites. They acknowledge that they exist in the world, but the Halflings are not a race of the Combine.

This also means that Barbarians will not be playable at launch, though they have stated 'The Founding of Halas' would be an early rallying call. The Barbarian race will probably be monetized and made available during this rallying call. I predict a similar thing to happen with Halflings, Trolls, Ratonga, Fae etc etc.
*shrugs*the books made it sound like halflings were in the Combine, to me at least.

As for barbarians and erudites, the ebooks and some of Moorguard's posts on the forums make it sound like barbarians and erudites are now human cultures, rather than distinct races, similar to how high elves and wood elves have been consolidated into just elves.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
It sounds like the 8 number wasn't 100 percent locked in but I'm sure that's what it will be. Nothing too bummer but it's going to suck if Halflings and Trolls aren't in at launch. Also, I like the different variations of elf (I'm sure there are plenty that don't, but I like the cultural difference of High Elf to Wood Elf, etc.). I can't imagine this game without Kelethin so maybe "elf" will be a catch all for each variety spread across the world. Whatever. Just show me fucking EQN.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It sounds like the 8 number wasn't 100 percent locked in but I'm sure that's what it will be. Nothing too bummer but it's going to suck if Halflings and Trolls aren't in at launch. Also, I like the different variations of elf (I'm sure there are plenty that don't, but I like the cultural difference of High Elf to Wood Elf, etc.). I can't imagine this game without Kelethin so maybe "elf" will be a catch all for each variety spread across the world. Whatever. Just show me fucking EQN.
The EQN lore takes place before the even cultural splits I think. I'm sure a rallying call will happen when Faydwer is released that involves 'The split of the wood elves, and founding of Kelethin'. Similarly, I'm guessing the Halflings rode out the dragon war/combine exile and are just chilling in a mostly untouched Rivervale for us to stumble across. Trolls probably exist in Grobb. IIRC Trolls were a race that came from humans corrupted by Cazic Thule in EQ lore. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from a band of humans left behind during the combine exile on Kunark. Ratonga will probably be part of the Freeport DLC etc etc.

It's a smart way to do things if you think about it from a subscription longevity/revenue potential perspective.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I didn't really go into it in my post, but considering Halas was used as a rally event example, I actually fully agree with your elf guesses. I'll sacrifice launch day race choices if we truly see the world evolve.

My one hope would be that an elf player could make a choice to take up living in Kelethin or Felwithe and essentially become that race. With no proper leveling system, rolling a new character wouldn't be so bad though, I suppose.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I kind of assumed that Elves would be differentiated the same way sub-races are handled in FFXIV. IE, choose a Lala and then you decided Plainsfolk or Dunesfolk.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Usually id say they hold back halfling for expansion packs, just to level up fast with that exp boost trait.
But this being 2014 / 2015 it will be Asslings 20 bucks, Trolls 25 bucks and Erudites (since they are hidden racists) 30 bux dlc out now!

Mur_sl

shitlord
Dark Elves, Kerrans, Dwarves, Iksar, Elves, Humans, & 2 more unconfirmed races at launch. We know Erudites, Gnomes, Ogres, Halflings, and Barbarians, (a human sub race?), exist, but no mention of Frogloks, Trolls, Half-Elves, Wood-Elves, Drakkin, Fae, Sarnak, Arasai, Ratonga, or Freeblood. Drakkin seem to have been combined with Dark-Elves to create the EQN Tier'Dal, (infused with Draconic power). Freeblood and Sarnak seem better suited as NPC/Monster races. Wood-Elves are likely just Elves, along with High-Elves. Fae and Arasai, I see making it into the game, but combined as just the Fae, since good vs evil faction is no longer an issue; evil does not exist per se. Ratonga might end up being replaced by Kobolds, as a small devious, trickster race; or not. Froglocks need to be in, so Trolls have something chicken like to feast upon, but only if Trolls are in, otherwise screw the children of Marr the defilers of Grobb. Trolls will either not be in the game as a Playable race, or they will be the last to show up, in an expansion 9 years from now, just before the game gets shut down. Some of the devs are known Troll haters, plus it is thought of as the least popular race played.

So yeah, I'm waiting to play until Trolls show up...

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So yeah, I'm waiting to play until Trolls show up...
There's no way they were going to launch a free to play game in 2015-16 with 'Trolls' as a playable race. Can you imagine?

There will be Trolls, they'll just be a paid race tied to a rallying call, same as the other races with current gaming/pop-culture significance (Barbarian/Skyrim, Halflings/The Hobbit, Wood Elves/Veganslol).

Not to mention, who cares about what races are available? Are you an RPer or something? That's the only reason I could see caring.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm not a role player and I absolutely care about playable races. Starting environments, cities, the awesome heritage; it brings the world alive. You don't have to be a role player to appreciate variety.

I'll be bummed with the inevitable confirmation that trolls aren't at launch, and I don't even play trolls.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Not to mention, who cares about what races are available? Are you an RPer or something? That's the only reason I could see caring.
Never thought about it really, but no I don't RP. I just like Trolls for some reason. I chose Trolls in EQ because of the exp penalties, and SK for the same reason back in the day, and have always preferred them to other races. Face it, Trolls are the master race; period. Who wants to play a faggy Elf, or Assling, or gods forbid a fucking Gnome, when you can be a Troll?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm not a role player and I absolutely care about playable races. Starting environments, cities, the awesome heritage; it brings the world alive. You don't have to be a role player to appreciate variety.

I'll be bummed with the inevitable confirmation that trolls aren't at launch, and I don't even play trolls.
Players will most likely all start in the same locations, so that probably won't be relevant. And ya, the variety is nice, but I'd say 8 races is more than enough for most MMORPG enthusiasts to find something that appeals to them. Especially with the strong racial choices that exist in the EverQuest universe. Granted, Trolls filled a crude/malevolent/humorous niche that I can't remember another game doing.

Trolls will make it in eventually, and probably within the first 12-18 months. If they don't have a 'race change' paid service I will be shocked, and SOE will be retarded.