EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Building is only a small part of what the final game will be. They haven't missed the mark on anything and, if anything, the increased complexity gives the builder game population even more reason to stick around. The people that are into it are REALLY into it, and the people like me that would rather explore don't give a shit how complex it is either way.

Citz

Silver Squire
Seriously. I'm not a builder at all and I still enjoy seeing what can be done. I'm currently perfectly happy with my little cabin made of a cube.

Just waiting for the different systems to be put in place. StoryBrick and anything similar to a redstone-like engine to code in triggers/actions. That's when Landmark will start to shine.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Just waiting for the different systems to be put in place. StoryBrick and anything similar to a redstone-like engine to code in triggers/actions. That's when Landmark will start to shine.
If any "redstone" makes it in, Norrath will never recover from the technological revolution.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
If they're unveiling combat at SOE Live, I wonder how far they'll take it?

They said they are adding in something they haven't talked about yet. Just taking a stab in the dark, but I wonder if they'll add in some combat classes (say the classic 4: rogue mage warrior cleric) and allow players to turn a claim into a Battleground for a specified amount of time. While the clock is running, everything is destructible and building is disabled.

When the timer ends (or someone wins) the claim resets back to pre-BG state.

Would make for a lot of new player generated content without having to fully implement any kind of pathing or AI required for NPC monsters. Plus it lets them Beta test EQNext combat mechanics

Just a thought, though

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
As best as I can tell, the "resolution" limitation of Landmark sized voxels is not the primary limiting factor preventing us from producing professional quality models. Instead, I think we are limited by the game's textures. We have a fixed set of textures, with no colour-tinting, no customisation, and no control over how the textures are applied. I think that if the developers focused their efforts on addressing these limitations, we would see simply stunning results using the voxels that we have today.

Caliane

Nice additions.

Combat. Pvp in claims. death,energy,life. Interactable props. (teleporters, platforms.)

Not sure if its "enough" yet.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Future of Landmark tools: more shapes, new functionality, terrain shaping, fog, game control props for PvP PvE and Storybricks

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
Haven't played for a few months. Just logged in. Played for five minutes; the game seems to run and look worse than it did months ago. Logged out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I can't tell if it's good or bad that the two games have diverged.

I really hope EQ:Next still has a lot of player generated/player driven content.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I really hope EQ:Next still has a lot of player generated/player driven content.
I'm sure it'll have housing/city building in pre-defined areas. Some structures from Landmark will make it in I'm sure. Maybe even a PVE/PVP scenario here and there. Physically altering the world though? I really doubt it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Landmark is really shaping up to be a pure sandbox experience. The players define everything within the rules SOE surrounds us with. EQN will more closely resemble the traditional MMO experience, but in a way that is unique to the genre as a whole.

People bitching about lack of progress on EQN are... I dunno, oblivious I guess to what Landmark is doing. Successes there will translate into successes in EQN because it's the same tech. I think a big reason DG is always so pumped when players find a new way to use the tools in Landmark is because he knows that's something they can use to make EQN better. It'll never be 1:1, EQN is going to be its own world and not a series of sandbox islands, but it's hard to sit back and say, "Nothing has been done" when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Haven't played for a few months. Just logged in. Played for five minutes; the game seems to run and look worse than it did months ago. Logged out.
Yeah, one of the patches around the time they added caves brought with it a fairly huge performance hit that they haven't been able to fix yet. However, multi-threading is supposed to be reasonably imminent, so shit should be running somewhat better after that hits.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
But then it turned into this: (Just watch the first minute for the 'intuitive' method of creating spirals)
The game allows for very complex techniques, yes, but you can still make a house out of Minecraft sized blocks if you want. No one is forcing you to learn these techniques; but yes, you might have a complex looking castle in your backyard that makes your block cabin look like shit.