EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The game allows for very complex techniques, yes, but you can still make a house out of Minecraft sized blocks if you want. No one is forcing you to learn these techniques; but yes, you might have a complex looking castle in your backyard that makes your block cabin look like shit.
Anything happen with the optimization for this game recently?

I haven't tried it in a while, but when I first tried it on this computer (880gtx) I had 60ish+ fps.
Not played in around 2 months, and not changed settings either. Now I get 20 fps, went up to 25-30 when I lowered shadows one step.

So it has undoubtedly taken a huge step backwards in terms of optimization. Feels worse than 50% reduction too, because it is no longer smooth, but rather plays like the EQNext combat videos with the very laggy/choppy/floaty combat animations.

I haven't kept up with patch notes, is this a common thing? They broken Nvidia cards or somesuch?

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am experiencing about 20 fps or less on medium or even low settings. I am wondering if the dynamic voxel content is just coming at the cost of a lot of overhead.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
One of the patches in the lead-up to caves caused a large performance hit, that they haven't been able to fix yet (well, some of their attempted fixes actually have fixed it for a few people, but most people still have shitty fps). Multi-threading is supposed to be fairly close to done, and the devs have said to expect a noticeable jump in performance once it goes live.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Haven't had any problems since I built a new comp... i5-4670K, Gtx 660, 8gb ram. 30+ fps playing 1080p high settings barring the occasional claim with 100 light sources.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
The game renders EVERYTHING to a certain distance regardless of if it is visible, so when caves were added everyone's performance got worse as you were now drawing much more. They need to fix this.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the patches in the lead-up to caves caused a large performance hit, that they haven't been able to fix yet (well, some of their attempted fixes actually have fixed it for a few people, but most people still have shitty fps). Multi-threading is supposed to be fairly close to done, and the devs have said to expect a noticeable jump in performance once it goes live.
Pretty much this I noticed right before caves went in something ate about 20 FPS from what I was seeing. Sounded like they had some more optimizations they are going to be applying likely at or before the combat pvp stuff to help out a bit.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hit the ? in the lower menu, check out the tech tree and then start going to town with tool progression! If you are interested in building, you must first craft a Claim flag, and then go place it in the world. Then you can start building with whatever resources you have obtained.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Try to find a populous island/server. You could have just picked poorly.

You can also bring up the claim gallery and teleport directly to anything you see in there.

Citz

Silver Squire
That's a pretty good first step. It's not perfect but I guess it's the best we can get without bringing the computer/server to a halt.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There's a video a few pages back from SOE Live where they talk about and show dynamic water. They also show voxel physics, aka shit falling with gravity.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's a pretty good first step. It's not perfect but I guess it's the best we can get without bringing the computer/server to a halt.
Yup and once they get it working at all changing the viscosity should not be a problem which would make it a bit less gel like.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Question. I signed up for landmark when everything went up origionally. I have an email saying welcome to beta from aug 2, 2013. When I log into eqn page it says im already signed up for beta. What am I missing? Are we suppose to get a key for landmark?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Why don't you try launching the game and logging in? If your account is already flagged then you don't need to worry about a key.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So for some reason the visit claim button isn't showing up, when this website says there should be one. I can't visit anything.
frown.png