EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
So does that money buy you the actual game too? Is it like 3years early preordering, or is it just paying to play the fucking landscape shit only? Why would you do that, it's not like it's gonna be any better than minecraft is it? Does it have combat? Just building shit? I watched a dev video and they showed various blocks and a house and shit, looked alright but if that's all there is to do there's no fucking way I'm spending anything at all for it. Wasn't landscape supposed to be free too? It's pretty fucking expensive too.

Edit: Oh I see there's another thread about it too. And it does look like it's just building. Fuck that.
It's a free to play game. It buys you what it says it buys you in the package description.

Yes it's only building stuff right now, crafting, etc. But they'll add combat later. They have to, since they're using this to build EQ3.

Bruman

Golden Squire
So does that money buy you the actual game too? Is it like 3years early preordering, or is it just paying to play the fucking landscape shit only? Why would you do that, it's not like it's gonna be any better than minecraft is it? Does it have combat? Just building shit? I watched a dev video and they showed various blocks and a house and shit, looked alright but if that's all there is to do there's no fucking way I'm spending anything at all for it. Wasn't landscape supposed to be free too? It's pretty fucking expensive too.

Edit: Oh I see there's another thread about it too. And it does look like it's just building. Fuck that.
Why are you so mad at something you obviously are in the dark about?

-Yes paying money gets you into the game
-It's expected to launch in Beta no later than March 2014 I think. Who knows when it becomes "official" though.
-"Better" than Minecraft is not something anyone can say. They're both games where you build crap. After that, "better" is really subjective, need to be more explicit with what you're looking for.
-No combat at launch they're saying, but it will be included later. I think everyone is expecting it'll be most comparable to survival mode from Minecraft once they get combat in.
-The game is free. People are paying for items are early access.

And now I'm sure you think I'm a EQNL fanboy or white knight or some shit. Note that I've paid zero dollars, don't really plan on changing that either. I think $100 for alpha access is ridiculous, but if people want to buy it, I don't blame them as a company, and I don't really give a fuck what other people do with their entertainment money anyways. They've just done their own Kickstarter campaign but without letting KS get a slice of the pie. Nor any of the restrictions or safety nets for pledgers. Which I also don't blame them as a company - they don't need KS.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Why are you so mad at something you obviously are in the dark about?

-Yes paying money gets you into the game
-It's expected to launch in Beta no later than March 2014 I think. Who knows when it becomes "official" though.
-"Better" than Minecraft is not something anyone can say. They're both games where you build crap. After that, "better" is really subjective, need to be more explicit with what you're looking for.
-No combat at launch they're saying, but it will be included later. I think everyone is expecting it'll be most comparable to survival mode from Minecraft once they get combat in.
-The game is free. People are paying for items are early access.

And now I'm sure you think I'm a EQNL fanboy or white knight or some shit. Note that I've paid zero dollars, don't really plan on changing that either. I think $100 for alpha access is ridiculous, but if people want to buy it, I don't blame them as a company, and I don't really give a fuck what other people do with their entertainment money anyways. They've just done their own Kickstarter campaign but without letting KS get a slice of the pie. Nor any of the restrictions or safety nets for pledgers. Which I also don't blame them as a company - they don't need KS.
I'm not "mad", I do swear a lot but that's my usual writing style. You'll be hard pressed finding any of my post that doesn't contain shit or fucking, it's just the way I learned english, playing mmos, teaches you bad habits ^^.

I do think however that looks like WAY overpriced considering it's a F2P sideshow game. I guess they decided to make it a full game at some point to get money to finish the actual game? Obviously eventually the finished product might be objectively better than minecraft, I just don't see why you'd pay on the offchance that's the case when it's guaranteed to be worse until then. I guess it's prettier than the shitty blocks so that's that but there's so few features planned early on I don't know.

I was just curious if that money was actually going toward the real game, but apparently not, it's a separate thing now. And so yeah, fuck that. If it turns out they add a decent survival mode and combat and stuff like that I'll pick up the game later on but no way I'd be paying money for a F2P builder game. I'm not saying anything about people who are willing to, it's their money and they might enjoy building, I don't so that's all there is to it.

It does sound like a fucking stupid amount though that they justify mostly with alpha/beta access, since the items don't look like anything you'd care about. A top tier ONE pickaxe, a bag which they didn't say was a unique mechanic so it's just probably a free bag vs having to craft them, some gate that does things that would take "weeks" to make aka 10hours of gametime and some ring that increases HQ rate which probably will be obsolete as soon as you move up in tiers and craft your own crafting gear. Typical mmo stuff but usually you'd have to pay for the box too, or if it's a F2P with a cash shop you'd get a bunch of points to spend in the shop. Here you get just the usual shit items and access to early feature limited version of the game.

Caliane

So I guess Trion is throwing its hat into the creation/destruction ring too:Trion officially reveals Trove: Endless adventures through endless worlds | Massively

It's all the rage these days. Haven't had enough time to see if it's a proper MMO or I'd have created a thread for it. But you know, voxels and Landmark and all that.
haha nice.

Go ahead and make a new thread. they call it an mmo.

Reads like it will be a starbound/terraria mixed with Diablo.

Basically, you have your worlds. but you can seamlessly travel to other worlds. These worlds may be other players worlds, or on the spot generated ones. These new worlds can be locked in, or allowed to despawn after a certain time(in the same way a diablo instance doesn't last forever)

Bruman

Golden Squire
Swear level noted!

Well, they're definitely marketing EQNL as it's own full fledged "F2P" game (although SOE F2P is usually horrible). But the problem is, as we all know, that all of it's on napkins and shit instead of being anything demonstrable.

That being said, I think what they're going for with EQNL will be pretty damn fun, if it does what they want, and it's not buggy / laggy all to hell of course. I think their end goal is there are multiple servers, like a typical MMO. Each one would be basically be like it's own Minecraft survival server, except it's all hosted by SOE, and funded with a cash shop. Once on your server, you pick your claim, gather shit, fight some monsters, trade with players, build your stuff, other people can come explore what you've built, fight through dungeons you create, or even go into instanced content that you've created (with full on NPCs, MOBs, "quests", etc). You can even swap servers to visit worlds other people make.

All that sounds pretty damn fun. But again, napkins.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you think of Landmark as a set of development tools or as an SDK, the cost of early entry here is neither unreasonable nor difficult to understand. Especially if you plan on using Landmark to "create your own MMO" as Ponytail explains it. Having an interest like that and simultaneously being able to help shape the evolution of development tools is a really cool idea to a lot of people.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I should've posted earlier; I'll be in alpha, just seeing if I can site-pimp my way into a free one currently; If not I'll just buy my way in.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you think of Landmark as a set of development tools or as an SDK, the cost of early entry here is neither unreasonable nor difficult to understand. Especially if you plan on using Landmark to "create your own MMO" as Ponytail explains it. Having an interest like that and simultaneously being able to help shape the evolution of development tools is a really cool idea to a lot of people.
Unless they plan on leasing servers to individuals, they should stop phrasing it as "create your own MMO". Getting an entire server of people on board to do one theme would be a challenge.

The thing that bugs me about putting a price tag on alpha is it won't be long before they have their cash shop going so they can nickle and dime people for something that isn't even EQNext. Considering most of the systems have not even been designed/implemented yet (from the sounds of it) you're probably looking at a 2016-2017 release for EQ Next so you tap into peoples wallets with the promise of that game to come for 3 years.

Also not mad, just disappointed.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
EQ Next and EQ Landmark are two different titles.

EQ Next is still out there in development land, and we won't see anything real for a couple of years. That game is likely to be the regular $59.99 box price plus sub or F2P scheme that SOE puts on it.

EQ:Landmark is the Dev tools that are being used/offered up to the player community. The "game" is a minecraftesqe exploration deal where you build stuff. Stuff that gets built will have some way to rate it, so players give feedback for a users creations. The good stuff will float to the top. Some things will be theoretically able to be sold to other players, probably for in game (EQL) store money, doubt it is real cash.

I appreciate what SOE is conceptually trying to do, but the money part is typical SOE moneygrab. The offer out there is you are buying early access to a F2P version of the devkit, with some exploration crap thrown on. It has nothing to do with EQ Next other than SOE will take (maybe) some awesome user generated content from EQ Landmark, and put it on the live EQ Next game.

The whole thing looks like smoke and mirrors to me and a huge clusterfluck, all the while each and every step is monetized.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Unless they plan on leasing servers to individuals, they should stop phrasing it as "create your own MMO". Getting an entire server of people on board to do one theme would be a challenge.
I don't think they are going to lease anything to anyone. I expect that EQNL is going to eventually be packaged up as a complete set of dev tools that you will be able to run on your own server. I think SOE has recognized the popularity of EQ emulators and offshoots, and they're building a system with which people will be able to do those things legally in the future.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Because they have a unique, ground breaking, genre shifting mmo that I would pay $60 at release for just like any other mmo, and it makes no difference to me if I pay for it now 1 year before release or 1 year later when it releases.

It's not like SOE is some unknown company that just sprang up overnight. They have a history of making and releasing MMO's. I'm sure people disagree with how the game direction heads afterwards, or want to armchair developer about how they would have done things better, but I don't expect them to disappear into the night with my money, remove anything we saw in the video previews so far, or decide not to make Everquest 3.
Good point, SOE has spent years and worked really hard becoming the laughing stock of the MMO space.