EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Tol_sl

shitlord
I think a lot of it is a reflection of how MMOs just aren't satisfying people who used to be extremely passionate about them due to the industry moving to capture a different audience -while seeming goddamnterrifiedto deviate very far from the wow success formula. People having disposable income and salivating for something different in a genre that's stagnated for the better part of a decade are jumping on hopes that something will have the new car smell again. It doesn't seem terribly unreasonable: I mean, it's not like people are jumping on the newest cod, madden, or other predictable yearly release. It might be a horrible disappointment but it is teasing something new, and could possibly be a next big thing for some people. I sold my wow beta key for $450 so it's nothing new, except the devs finally caught on that they could get people to pay for betas.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno..I felt like I made some valid points to why it's a bad idea. My biggest being they have never gotten releases right in the past. They should worry about releasing a game that is stable and a minamal amount of bugs before they go ahead and make money off the process..
Also..some seem to think that for as many who buy into alpha to play SoE will have just as many dedicated testers.. That's just putting a smile on this.. There will be a limit to how many people the severs can handle as they optimize I would imagine. So the people who pay to play will get dibs. I'm expecting a pretty buggy product come release day. Question is how bad of a state does the game have to be in at release for people to point at this alpha buy in as the reason?

I think they should of invited for alpha and used the packages for closed and open.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I think they should of invited for alpha and used the packages for closed and open.
My solution would be to just include some sony funny-money for buying in-game stuff when it goes live. Didn't planetside give soe cash for the people buying into beta? That would make it such an easy choice. It would suck if that $100 could buy an extra 10 claims or whatever.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
Pay them to test their game for bugs?
This is the "fucking moron fanboy sucker thread". Here is where all the people come to complain about how much EQ has fucked them over for 10+, then they throw money at the mere release promise with no idea of quality whatsoever.

This is how we lower the bar on releases. We have fucking idiots who will prepay $100 4 months in advance - for a game with "FREE TO PLAY" plastered all over it's "$100 Founder" order page - with no guarantee of any baseline quality or playability. Then, when you point out their donations to Smedley's Ferrari fund are killing the quality baseline of the genre they claim to love, these same idiots will then tell you you're "broke" or " a loser" because "They can blow $100 on a fucking game every weekend night, because they're so baller it's an investment - after all, they pay more in that one night for bottle service!" and launch off on a tirade about how it's their dumb fucking pre-orders keeping enough revenue in this industry for the games to exist at all (doing us no favors I'll add).

Fucking suckers. Shouldn't you idiots still be in love with FFXIV's historically bad release?

xzi

Mouthbreather
If you think of Landmark as a set of development tools or as an SDK, the cost of early entry here is neither unreasonable nor difficult to understand. Especially if you plan on using Landmark to "create your own MMO" as Ponytail explains it. Having an interest like that and simultaneously being able to help shape the evolution of development tools is a really cool idea to a lot of people.
I feel like this is important to realize for people that are 100% anti Landmark. But I guess they'll still call you an idiot for being willing to pay for it. One way or another it's going to be free and for a big time developer to release their toolkit for free is pretty nice. If they actually do impliment the ability to create quests and shit like they say, then this will be fucking amazing. Even if they don't I'll enjoy building and exploring while half the people in these two threads are crying about games that other people play.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_49612.jpg
rrr_img_49643.jpg

I started EQ in June of 99 and felt the same way about those pictures of everyone standing around Inny.

misery_sl

shitlord
This is the "fucking moron fanboy sucker thread.. etc
It's an ALPHA. The progress is going to be wiped. I don't see anything that is forcing people to buy any of these packs. They are simply extra options for people who are interested in the game enough to want to play a pre-beta version of the game. The extras are neat, but useless. If they can make some extra development money from it, and it isn't forcing anyone to buy, then why should they not capitalize on such an opportunity? They are a BUSINESS, and it is their job to make a profit. Deep down, that is why they exist. This is gentlemanly compared to what many other game/non game related companies do to get their revenue.

Who cares how someone else spends their time or money? Is this setting a bad precedent for future games? I don't think so, because like I said, they aren't forcing you to buy into the alpha. It's an option for those of us who feel fortunate enough to have such an option.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Who cares how someone else spends their time or money? Is this setting a bad precedent for future games? I don't think so, because like I said, they aren't forcing you to buy into the alpha. It's an option for those of us who feel fortunate enough to have such an option.
How could them using a practice that's been in use for years be considered precedent anyway? Kinda funny to see people acting like pre-relase buy-ins are a brand new idea in the F2P market. I have to say though the package is pretty lame compared to what PS2 alpha squad got you. I'm still on the fence because of that, if it had a few more perks or a wad of station cash I would have bought in already.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
This is the "fucking moron fanboy sucker thread". Here is where all the people come to complain about how much EQ has fucked them over for 10+, then they throw money at the mere release promise with no idea of quality whatsoever.

This is how we lower the bar on releases. We have fucking idiots who will prepay $100 4 months in advance - for a game with "FREE TO PLAY" plastered all over it's "$100 Founder" order page - with no guarantee of any baseline quality or playability. Then, when you point out their donations to Smedley's Ferrari fund are killing the quality baseline of the genre they claim to love, these same idiots will then tell you you're "broke" or " a loser" because "They can blow $100 on a fucking game every weekend night, because they're so baller it's an investment - after all, they pay more in that one night for bottle service!" and launch off on a tirade about how it's their dumb fucking pre-orders keeping enough revenue in this industry for the games to exist at all (doing us no favors I'll add).

Fucking suckers. Shouldn't you idiots still be in love with FFXIV's historically bad release?
rrr_img_49647.jpg

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'll be in Alpha as well.

Bought the Explorer's pack. Being in Europe and paying in euros means I would have to pay $121.46 for the trailblazer. Now I payed $72.89 for Explorer's pack. fucking bullshit.
Will buy the Explorers pack myself after Christmas gift buying is over. Just don't see enough benefit from the extra $40 for me.

misery_sl

shitlord
How could them using a practice that's been in use for years be considered precedent anyway? Kinda funny to see people acting like pre-relase buy-ins are a brand new idea in the F2P market. I have to say though the package is pretty lame compared to what PS2 alpha squad got you. I'm still on the fence because of that, if it had a few more perks or a wad of station cash I would have bought in already.
I agree with the lameness. The beta keys are time limited, the titles are useless to me, and the outfits don't really interest me. My name in the credits? Who watches those anyway? What's the point? The only in game perks that I might enjoy would be the mastercraft bracer, maybe the pickaxe, and the void vault which they already said can be crafted in the game later.

For me, it's more about supporting an idea that I appreciate (Landmark/EQN), and getting into the alpha. There really is no concrete reason to go for the most expensive option, which is the only reason I am not against them using this method. Plus, if you're still undecided, you have until closed beta starts to buy any of the packs (even for the time-limited trailblazer perks).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What game sold access to a beta that hasn't even started yet? What game sold access to alpha? I can see little kickstarter companies or super small dev teams doing it, maybe, but not big house developers. Buying into beta is nothing new, but its always been later in the phases(After alpha and beta has been going on for a while). This is a new low and gamers are there to just lap it up.

Alpha squad was only $40, was offered what 3-4 months before release, beta had long been going on already and came with 4,000 station cash, which is $40 by itself. The station cash can be used in any SOE game. Not even close to this crap.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One day gamers will open their wallets to take a spot for a live stream of the yearly SoE live, where they have gray ponytail and obese smed praising the newest installments of AAA franchise titles.
Yeah and some will lap it up and even defend that.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
As far as starting the game....

I think the first thing I'm going to do is to create an arch template. Beyond all other shapes that's the primary building block by use of cloning you can create an obscene amount of great looking things.

Single arches making doorways or staking them to create a colosseum like facade.
Taking a single arch and repeating in a straight line to make a vault, or long hall, ie a cathedral.
Or taking an arch and rotating it 360 degrees to make a fast dome.

Anyone got a "first thing" they are going to create?