EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Duuuuuude, they're actually doing the storybrick thing for landmark? That's pretty awesome. Even if I won't be able to build a straight up dungeon I wouldn't mind building some type of ruin place with lore behind it.

I'm also happy to see the designated/no designated server thing. Because if some asshole came in and built a giant dickship in the middle of a bunch of people building their shitty castles it would be kind of lame. Servers with no designation I feel like is just gonna be a ffa minecraft "lets see who can build the biggest dick". Which I'll still totally be a part of. I just wonder how long it is before the community doesn't care and builds whatever anyways.

I'm excited for the player studio in EQNL as well. I haven't used it for Planetside but I lurk in steam workshop a lot and have a few friends that are literally making a yearly salary off of their items for DOTA/TF2. (I don't expect that but hey it's possible)

Ahhhhhhhh fuck I'm actually super excited for landmark

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't assume that I'd need to read fucken forbes to figure out what eq landmark is. I also went to the landmark page and watched several videos, none of which explained anything more than why I should be a founder. Nothing on the page says it's going to have combat. You don't find it mentioned in the faq either. According to the site it's nothing more than virtual sand castles.
This makes no sense at all.

You know, you don't usually list what you have planned after launch as part of your.. launch. Why would they say it's going to have combat on the Founder's page when, like they said, they weren't sure if they were going to be able to fit it in? Companies don't usually list as a selling points things that they don't think they can do.

It would be like SWTOR putting on their site "We don't have free-form combat without rails at launch, but we will after" as a selling point, or Rift saying"We don't have dimensions, but one day we hope to put them in down the line" or WoW putting on their site "Coming soon... HOUSING!" when they don't know what the actual timetable is.

You generally don't list on a site things you DON'T have or not sure if you can make, especially when you are asking for dough. You list with what you will probably have at launch and then you give.. yep.. interviews and press time to expand on the things you have planned.

If you're looking for that on a Founder's page, that's just pure silliness.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Odd question , and maybe there hasn't been much info on this yet , but is there going to be a market for resources other builders need and will there be rare needed resources ?

Here's my own angle , actual crafting I'm not that big into , but I've always been a gathering whore who like to play the market with my resources and made gold , and actually enjoy just running around exploring.

So if I could build my mini run down red-neck,troll ninja shack ,with a storage shed full of shit the architects all need I'd quite enjoy that.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So some confirmed classes for Next,
-Cleric
-Necromancer
-Beast Lord (Confirmed for companion class, yay)
-Tempest

-Landmark will be played on *multiple servers, each able to hold at least 2,000 players each. Each server can be explored by players of every other server.

-The "best" builders supposedly will be able to make large sums of money.

-Each server might contain like minded players banding together to create different server themes. For instance, you might have a pre-designated list of the server names and what kind of content should be built there, or servers with no designation. I'm not talking about a list created by SOE, but a list created by players as is often the norm these days to signify which servers will house players of certain languages, such as the unofficial official French speaking server, etc. Only instead of languages, it will be about which kind of content will be built there, such as Ye Old EQ Classic Server, Sci-Fi settlement of serenity, Official Manchildren with ADD server (build anything!), and such.

-There will be risk in Landmark, as many of the creatures/monsters from Next are planned to be making an appearance in Landmark after the release of Next. Not just critters. Hard to find resources like diamond and obsidian will eventually be very challenging to get your hands on.

-You will be able to place your own NPCs and tell your stories through them using storybricks.

-Weekly D&D groups are a go.

-Players will use many of the exact same tools in Landmark that the devs will use to create EQNext. Landmark is not just about buildings. You will be able to create dungeons, towns, place npcs and monsters then script them with storybricks, etc.

-In Next you will be able to multi-class and gain new classes through exploring and adventuring. It will also have major events, and give you the ability to collect gear. Important question incoming. Will you be able to use the classes that you learn in Next within Landmark? If not, what does that say for the future dungeons within Landmark? Will you be forced to adventure through these player made dungeons as an explorer fighting bosses with your pick axe? What about gear you earn in Next, will it also transfer to Landmark? One class has been announced for Landmark.

-Some players in Planetside 2 are making "thousands" of dollars selling camo patterns on Player Studio.

-They expect real estate and plot selling to be big.

-If you use a tower from another player to build your castle, and then proceed to sell your castle on the studio, both the tower creator and the castle creator will earn money from each sale.

-Biggest money supposedly coming from awesome templates and from selling 'developed' land.

-Gold farmers from China currently studying up on voxel building in mass numbers. It is said that after Landmark and Next release, gold farmers in poorer countries will become the most prosperous members of their societies by giving up spamming and picking up a few building blocks.
Source on this?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Odd question , and maybe there hasn't been much info on this yet , but is there going to be a market for resources other builders need and will there be rare needed resources ?

Here's my own angle , actual crafting I'm not that big into , but I've always been a gathering whore who like to play the market with my resources and made gold , and actually enjoy just running around exploring.

So if I could build my mini run down red-neck,troll ninja shack ,with a storage shed full of shit the architects all need I'd quite enjoy that.
Yes, they mentioned this exact scenario in that hour long stream they did. They said it would be totally possible to just gather resources and sell them to builders.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
It's Minecraft ++++ in an MMO setting.

Ponying up for alpha access gets you increased inventory size, easier access to whatever their in game storage/vault system is and better starting mining tools (no idea if the clothing/gear they include has stats but I'm guessing they will ?) as well as items that improve quantity and quality of items gathered and crafted, never mind early access.

rrr_img_50304.jpg

It says on the Founder page that 'Alpha' access starts before Feb 28th. Press embargoes have lifted following a press open day for playing it and I've read in a couple of places that alpha will actually start early in the calendar year. Suspect growing interest in this over the next few weeks.

For folks who have paid you can reserve your forum name (yes the official forum is open - you need to have paid to see it) btw. Log into your SoE account while on this page :Landmark forumsto seeOfficial Landmark General Discussion Forum(be aware it's under NDA until commercial release)

List of fansites etc from the News and announcements sub forum :Landmark Info Sites

The Facebook page looks like a decent news source :https://www.facebook.com/LandmarkEQN

Twitter :EQN Landmark (EQNLandmark) on Twitter

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Ooh just got more interesting then.

Also on non PVP servers, what's to stop someone from jacking up the popular elven only chalets neighborhood around the silver moon lake?

Is there a zoning board committee or if I jumped in, got a pristine lake front spot on the "elven rp server" they all pick to go to, and put up a double wide in plain view after everyone built their castles , what could be done about it?

Or would I be able to hold the local elven pop for a high ransom if they want to get rid of the troll paladin with the wheel-less wagon on blocks in front of their precious lake ?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The more I hear, the better this sounds. Certainly not true of other games releasing in 2014.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I knew I was getting into alpha but I haven't bought the pack yet, I think I'm going to decide on the 100$ pack because fuck it, it's my Christmas gift to myself.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just hope they dont sell the friend keys on ebay for 25$ to recoup their costs.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Those keys are only good for 7 days each.
Was just about to ask if I read wrong when I checked it out that they were temporary.

Which I think is the stupidest thing in the entire offering , they'd sell way more 99 dollar packs if the 4 friend beta keys weren't temporary.