EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Have they said anything about world PVP?
Nah, nothing on world PVP.

I'm just thinking out loud how far they could go with the engine + voxels if that was something they wanted to do for Landmark or EQN.

Smed often remarks about how he loves the idea of Eve-style Sandbox PVP. In a recent Reddit AMA about EQN PVP: "It won't be an afterthought. We are going to make PvP matter in an Everquest game or we're going to die trying."

Originally all I wanted Landmark or EQN to be was Starbound/Terraria 3D. Roadmap seems to be pointing in that direction. Now I'm hoping they add something similar to GW2's WvW system and/or Shadowbane city building/sieging.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
It isnt unreasonable to think there will be PvP islands. How they work it? Dont know.

Just thinking they would have to use their building mechanics in it. Maybe have pvp islands open either on timers or by matchmaking (4 teams queued opens 4 team island), teams pour in, claim an area, and have 30 minutes to free build, mine for materials, build bases, defenses and siege engines. After that team based PvP begins. Points are awarded by kills and Base captures. Upgrades on bases and defenses are possible during active pvp by harvesting materials. NPCs can be generated and sent out. Game ends after 2 hours.

That would be kinda fun. Kinda like 60 player first person Starcraft.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Have they said anything about world PVP? Obviously with player created content and voxels you can do all kinds of shit, it's just a matter of building a system around it and making the difficult decisions of allowing meaningful PVP without allowing people to wreck someone's ingame life.

Part of the balance is making it easy enough to rebuild destroyed towers/keeps while not making it trivial to build them. Really I think a great way to implement it would be to copy GW2/TESO's open world PVP area and make it much easier to find materials in it. Or even better, allow for automatic generation of materials from controlling terrain (ala GW2's dolyaks and camps).

Another big problem is letting players build keeps to infinite. If someone gets a foothold in an area they could go nuts and build 100 foot high obsidian walls.
Well there has to be a point to it. I tend to think of the Battle & Build mobile games when I think about the potential for PvP in Landmark. Like destroying "depots" (which would be the opt-in building for PvP) gives you materials upon their destruction, but destroying them activates a couple of timers. The first is a general "protection" timer meaning no one can attack your claim for x hours, where x is something between 12 and 18 hours, depending on how much was destroyed. The second is a specific "protection" timer against whomever attacked you, which would last like 5 days or so, and this is mainly to prevent farming.

What they could also do is set up "control" areas based upon the area around claims. So if you conquer a claim, the person who owns it still owns it but now there's a "tithe" paid to the conquerer (game created, not out of the owner's stash). This would encourage near constant battles in order to control land areas. They could implement a e-republik kind of uprising mechanic for owners to throw off the yoke of control in the event one group takes over control of an entire island.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'll hop in soon enough. I'm busy in Everquest now (Bristlebane). PRX is a world-pvp centered guild that a lot of people on this forum played with in GW2 where we wrecked everybody.
Yeah, playing with PRX is the only thing that kept me interested in GW2's pointlessness of WvWvW as long as it did. Great group of people and the most professional PvP guild I've ever had the pleasure of playing/dealing with.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What would be the point of 1000ft walls if you can just build an obsidian forged ballista or whatever to punch a big hole in it?

What they could do in a PvP type environment is have preset templates you could only use, to keep it balanced.

How do you balance the 24 hour cycle? Like what stops some shitty off hours guild to destroy your shit while youre catching z's? I know Shadowbane had the "bane" thing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What would be the point of 1000ft walls if you can just build an obsidian forged ballista or whatever to punch a big hole in it?

What they could do in a PvP type environment is have preset templates you could only use, to keep it balanced.

How do you balance the 24 hour cycle? Like what stops some shitty off hours guild to destroy your shit while youre catching z's? I know Shadowbane had the "bane" thing.
Yeah all huge questions. Even in shadowbane you might not be able to destroy a city, but you could destroy its walls. We would regularly soften up a siege target by spending a late night obliterating its defenses then logging on our pack of minotaur alts and destroy all its walls.

If you had a simple physics engine it'd be a fun arms race to try to understand the engine and then build weapons (trebuchets, catapults etc) that would make use of the physics. It would only last until the designs started to get perfected and shared but it'd be a fun few weeks.

Good lord, this has been the most satisfying game experience. Starting out truly awful and educating myself to make some structures I personally am proud of is quite a feeling.

Edit - and I have to say, using YouTube as an asset for education and not just a medium for dumb videos is fun as well.

My progress has kind of been slowed down by the wife, she is hesitant to destroy our old template structures because she likes them a lot. Personally, I'd prefer to just get my feet wet building as much as I can.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
I wonder if they'll add a claim toggle for gravity, would be interesting to see if your buildings are actually structurally sound.

Raign

Golden Squire
Good lord, this has been the most satisfying game experience. Starting out truly awful and educating myself to make some structures I personally am proud of is quite a feeling.

Edit - and I have to say, using YouTube as an asset for education and not just a medium for dumb videos is fun as well.

My progress has kind of been slowed down by the wife, she is hesitant to destroy our old template structures because she likes them a lot. Personally, I'd prefer to just get my feet wet building as much as I can.
I had the same issue, but with templates being the only thing that survives alpha, it is easier to justify building something just to template and destroy it. Once things go live though I think this will be a real problem for me.. I know they are planning on allowing multiple claims but I suspect they are not going to make it trivial to open up supplemental claims without money or a lot of resources since claim sites are going to be where the real revenue is going to be at.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger

Thats why I think it will be "quick build" forts and no permanent structures in PvP. Everyone starts with same amount of resources, (can mine for more once pvp starts), and with a limited time to build fortifications within a set perimeter.

Otherwise with Permanent PvP structures the only other thing I can think of would be a "Clash of Clans" type deal where you get a invulnerable timer after someone raids you.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I could see PVP working like that. Queue up, get sent to an island with no structures. Everyone starts with the same amount of materials (and maybe a Mine?) and five minutes to build. Gogogo.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

This is why I am looking forward to the attached claim this way I can work perfecting my main building and still have a nice area where I can work on weird designs and try to do stuff.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I haven't seen a ton of posts about them, so I did some testing with the Rings of Brawn last night. I made four of them, and I think the two best were +25 and +27 damage.

Wearing both of them and using my Founder's Pickaxe, I literally halved the amount of swings that it took to chop down the largest trees. 20 swings exactly with the two rings, versus 40-41 without them. Seems to me that being 100% faster while chopping is more beneficial than wearing my two +10% harvesting founder rings, so that's going to be my new setup for high-quantity farms.

I'm sure the Rings of Force would be great too, but JFC I don't wanna get 200 elemental rubicite and craft a green one :/

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I could see PVP working like that. Queue up, get sent to an island with no structures. Everyone starts with the same amount of materials (and maybe a Mine?) and five minutes to build. Gogogo.
This is too "arena'ish". I'd much prefer there be some sort of persistence to the PVP area. Maybe not PVP on your individual claim, but have "guild worlds" where you can damage/protect your claims, but they weren't instances or queue'ing etc.

misery_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen a ton of posts about them, so I did some testing with the Rings of Brawn last night. I made four of them, and I think the two best were +25 and +27 damage.

Wearing both of them and using my Founder's Pickaxe, I literally halved the amount of swings that it took to chop down the largest trees. 20 swings exactly with the two rings, versus 40-41 without them. Seems to me that being 100% faster while chopping is more beneficial than wearing my two +10% harvesting founder rings, so that's going to be my new setup for high-quantity farms.

I'm sure the Rings of Force would be great too, but JFC I don't wanna get 200 elemental rubicite and craft a green one :/
Just gathered 200 ele rubicite last night, and it was not fun. Basically wasted it all this morning trying to make legendary indigo picks. I now have 6 rare indigo picks and 0 ele rubicite. Not to mention the 4,200 burled wood required. Anyway, I'm done trying to get a better pick at this point. The time sink is too much for the reward imo. Time to make some wood choppin rings I guess.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Eventually, I'd like a guild or coalition of guilds own an entire island for themselves staff it with scripted NPCs and have mineral rights to the entire island. If another guild wants to invade that island they can either sail over or use the teleporter.

I'd like claim seiging to use resources for both sides, Having NPC builders repairing walls while your asleep would be a good way to avoid being run over at night as long as during the day you can fend off invaders AND refill your coffers with materials.

If you are an attacking guild the order of business would be to start building roadblocks between the area you want to take and the resources they need to farm to keep it available. This way it adds an amount of strategy instead of just rushing walls with your team. If you can establish a small outpost and start spawning NPCs to harass guild members trying to farm resources or alert actual players when they see someone you can wait out an opposing guild until there resources fall and then comes down the walls.

Spawning NPCs should come with a considerable resource cost and they should be upgradable as well. If you are an attacker you need to mine resources of your own to continue on the war effort so capturing areas of the map with resources would be a prime strategy.

The main problem here and I hope someone can give me some input would be what would stop a seiged player from just joining another server to mine then popping back to there keep to restock it unmolested.

Only thing I can think of is you have to manually deposit the materials into a vault or keep or something so you still have to run to your claim to stock it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Burled wood sucks now that I can't afk axe instaspawn trees.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I really don't see how open world PvP is practical with persistent structures. You want active sieges and large battles. If its completely open, youll just wake up every day, log on and rebuild.

You need some sort of match making system, otherwise its just stupid.