EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Caliane

I am with Caliane. I got up to the point of making my tools and getting a nice bit of materials but when I went to started to attempt to create structures, I found the building tools too clumsy to use. It's like the tools were made to be used in some sort of 3d studio software but instead you are stuck with trying to create a 3 dimensional structure from the low perspective of your character. Finding a claim in a relatively flat area is hard now too.
Yeah, like when I spend 40s just trying to grab the corner of the selection box..

Or making a column. trying to get the template to be on top of the previous one.. I know there is a trick to it. but, I keep forgetting to go look it up when I want it. something about tricking the game into letting you move the mouse.
Or just in general. need a round tool. not a sphere. just a resizable disc.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
shift+click when you place it to go into tweak mode, if that's what you were referring too. Also the grappling hook is a must have for building tall structures.

moontayle

Golden Squire
If you want to stay at Minecraft level building of structures then that's all well and good but in order to get the most out of the game you have to spend some time learning the tricks involved. There is a learning curve and a lot of it is experimentation. You kind of have to fight the engine to do a lot of things which is unfortunate but you either work with it or move on. I spent a good ten minutes the other day working on a zero voxel inlay before I settled on something that wasn't quite what I wanted but worked well enough.

As I said before, right now this is a building game. If you can't get behind that then this isn't the game you're looking for.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why would it matter if the area was relatively flat or not?
Don't like being stuck on the dark side of the moon. Seriously I think the lighting in the game is a bit too dramatic at times. How's about those disco light shows in the desert biomes? Going to give someone epileptic seizures someday lol.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I just had a rather disturbing thought. Start of open beta will be the last claim wipe, and when the servers come back up it's already going to be a claim-grab clusterfuck. But, what is going to stop people from making multiple accounts and laying down claim flags willy-nilly? New people have to go about gathering resources and crafting their first flag. Anyone who was in CB can have enough materials to craft as many as they want right off the bat.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I would say don't look at the future through the lens we see the game with today. I expect that adding the caves and water will change the claim game a lot, but things like upkeep are also probably going to change a lot. SOE also claims that they can roll out new worlds without much issue so hopefully they'll just scale the game large enough to accommodate however many want to play.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I get that. Main difference though, is if they ever need to scale back, server merging isn't as simple as it is for normal mmo's.

Edit:
rrr_img_64277.png

Glad that's done, only took 75 tries. Speed and Size could have been a little better, but the bonuses are nice.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rrr_img_64004.jpg

Finally.

I gave a bunch of rare mithril picks to ravishing, if anyone needs one.
Just started this up. I currently am using the Cobalt Pick. My question is, how do you get the Legendary versions? Is it just RNG when you craft one for its its quality?

Caliane

I would say don't look at the future through the lens we see the game with today. I expect that adding the caves and water will change the claim game a lot, but things like upkeep are also probably going to change a lot. SOE also claims that they can roll out new worlds without much issue so hopefully they'll just scale the game large enough to accommodate however many want to play.
I am fairly certain the 5 day upkeep is beta only.
Better be able to do 30 days in live at once.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't been paying any attention to this because I'm pretty much done with MMOs except for giving SotA a shot, but from reading the last 10 pages or so I see this is mainly just Minecraft right now. So, even though I'm super late to the party, does anyone still have a spare beta key I could grab?

Thanks in advance.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
New people have to go about gathering resources and crafting their first flag. Anyone who was in CB can have enough materials to craft as many as they want right off the bat.
I don't think this is going to be that big of a problem overall. The game will have enough plots for everyone who wants to play free supposedly so having a far better chance to run over and grab that sunny mountaintop spot from the guy who paid nothing in support is fine with me. The only time I would have a problem with that in a game like this is if they ran out of spots and they couldn't get any at all. But I'm fine with this giving non-supports the dark side of the moon as Mixtilplix describes it.

Anyone playing now is basically playing like an extended headstart imo because they've plunked down $20. Since it's a F2P game at release, you have to give those players incentive to help bankroll this game by allowing them to keep mats they've collected from the start.

Think of it like most mmos. Pay early, you get advantages over plenty of other people who don't support betas right from the bat whether it's a treasure map, a mount to get to places faster, 50% more exp, shortcuts on how to accomplish things earlier, w/e. Since this isn't really a 'competitive' game, they have to have something for early adopters who've backed it to be in there and if that means they keep all their tools which allows them to 'pass GO and collect $200', there isn't anything really wrong with that.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Am I speaking a different fucking language? Or did you just only read the portion of my post that you quoted? I was referring to a CB player with shit tons of mats making multiple free accounts (FTP game, Open Beta) when the game hits open beta and being able to mail mats to those 50 different accounts and grab 50 claims. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's possible. Usually, anything that can be exploited, will be.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
@raes

Yea, if the current state of the game went live that'd be a huge issue. I say 'current state' because once caves, water, ley lines, and creepy crawlies come out then the real estate game might be distributed a bit. It's a fairly obvious scenario as well, so I would assume that the devs considered this and a safeguard will be put into place. Or not and we will all go laughing to the Landmark bank with our digital real estate fortunes. The game is still fairly rough around the edges though, so I'd like to think that it stays in beta for a good while.

-----------------

I finally got all of my crafting and refining up as high as the current tiers of content will allow along with rare mithril pick and grappling hook.

IGN: Orialchum.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
While I doubt anyone will be able to make any money selling "prime real estate" (in game or out) I wouldn't put it past a few to try. I also won't be surprised if some just grab a bunch of claims simply because they can. Assholes gonna asshole.

Also, none of those things you mention that are to be added are going to change the free-to-play aspect. Free-to-play means unlimited accounts per person. Unlimited accounts means unlimited claims. And while SOE can add servers as the number of empty claims dwindle, that's a lot of hardware and expense. And when shit like that dies down and the population somewhat stabilizes, as I mentioned before, server (Island) merges aren't going to be as simple as copying character data, as it is in normal mmos.

overbyte

Im not so worried about one player using multiple accounts. It'd be quite a pain in the ass to maintain the upkeep fees in the long run. Really, it'd be easier to just buy a billion claim flags with one account and feed copper into one slot rather than play wack-a-mole with upkeep.

What I am waiting for is a guild to buy and link all of the plots around a spire and wall it off so that they have their own private playground.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You can only have 1 claim per account, plus attached claims.

Found this on the forums:
Q: What's to stop someone from creating 100 accounts and having 100 claims that way?
A: This is another reason claims will require regular upkeep: if you did create 100 claims, you would still need to manage upkeep on all of them. There is going to be a practical limit to how many claims you can manage at a time. It will not be good for the game experience if everyone creates 100 empty claims and fills up the world with nothing. This is something we're going to be watching and balancing during Alpha and Beta, to ensure the upkeep is reasonable but enough to prevent this kind of thing.

So, I guess we'll see.

overbyte

I suspect that they will add a craftable 'upgrade slot' to enable multiple base claims at some point in the future. Or something.