EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
No beta codes were forthcoming, so I bought the founder pack and have very little idea what I'm doing. If anyone wants a new friend, in-game name is LiegeKiller. I won't ask for stuff, I promise!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This game is in its infancy still. There is no sense worrying about someone taking 100+ claims opening day. The current progression and systems are going to change a ton yet. I can easily think of many ways to prevent this problem and I'm sure Sony will have thought of many more alternative solutions.

Claim flags could have a progression of their own: Basic flags have a max 2 day upkeep while a better flag can have a 30 day upkeep.
Claim flags could created at a "private use" crafting station only
Claim flags might only be created if a player does an "achievement" or obtains a certain "level"

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, that will be helpful. So, if I'm right-clicking my claim flag in an empty spot (I have the map showing where claims are available), and all it does is make a click sound, does that mean I still can't place one there? It is getting frustrating, because it looks like I've got a wide open spot and I still can't claim it. I even skipped ahead in that video where he did it, and I'm doing the exact same thing. So frustrating.

EDIT: Also, thanks Raes (I think, don't have a mailbox so can't send mail) for the gift of some tools, that really helps a lot!

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
I would guess not. When I did mine it changed the interface so that I could move the binding box of the claim around. Not all of the maps are open to claims, there is a toggle on the full screen map that aught to tell you if its available.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I would guess not. When I did mine it changed the interface so that I could move the binding box of the claim around. Not all of the maps are open to claims, there is a toggle on the full screen map that aught to tell you if its available.
I've got the red outlines where the other claims are, and it appears to me that the spot I am in has a large enough area for my own red outline of the same size, but it won't let me put one down.

If I can't place on here, am I just screwed until they open up more islands? Speaking of, I don't even know how I'd go to another island.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've got the red outlines where the other claims are, and it appears to me that the spot I am in has a large enough area for my own red outline of the same size, but it won't let me put one down.

If I can't place on here, am I just screwed until they open up more islands? Speaking of, I don't even know how I'd go to another island.
I'm pretty sure you need not only enough unclaimed space for your claim, but also enough surrounding it to also be clear in case you want to attach claims. Not exactly sure how it works since I laid mine down like the second day of CB and had plenty of room.

You can teleport to any server/island by clicking on that thing in the center of the spire, above the glowy particle effect.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
I went to another island and ran out just past bumfucknowhere before placing my claim. There wasn't another claim within a 5 minute walk. Also, I didn't want to be bothered by whatever eyesores my neighbors puked up into the game.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I went to another island and ran out just past bumfucknowhere before placing my claim. There wasn't another claim within a 5 minute walk. Also, I didn't want to be bothered by whatever eyesores my neighbors puked up into the game.
I'm out in the middle of nowhere on a new island now too. And there isn't a claim close to me, and it still won't let me. I have the Founder pack flag, is there some thing like where you have to have crafted your own to "know" the recipe before you place one perhaps?

Citz

Silver Squire
I'm out in the middle of nowhere on a new island now too. And there isn't a claim close to me, and it still won't let me. I have the Founder pack flag, is there some thing like where you have to have crafted your own to "know" the recipe before you place one perhaps?
The founder flag is a decorative item. You need to craft a claim flag.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The founder flag is a decorative item. You need to craft a claim flag.
Thanks. Motherfuckers!

Was finally able to stake a claim, so thanks for all the help. I'm assuming that "Tier 3" on the selection menu means what level of ores it typically has? Because I've got a lot of higher level ores all around me, which I'm assuming is good for later on. And thanks to Raes and his tools, I'm able to harvest all of it so far! I've even got Obsidian, which is my favorite Minecraft material...although I'm guessing it probably isn't as awesome here as it is there.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, sorry I'm retarded and didn't notice that flag didn't count. Now to figure out wtf to do with all this material.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Tower Update:
Adventure:Crater (You land in my claim upon zoning in)

Been roughing out the design and got a decent idea where Im headed. It's basically a shell and Im working on the interior now. Not much detail work has been done at all, although I have started messing with some props.

I spent the past couple days nailing down a system to create smooth lines and am fairly happy with the outcome thus far. It's a very tedious process but that's expected considering this structure has very few straight walls.

I'm already on a redo of the entire staircase. The initial attempt was simply a quick and dirty way to get access to the top but I never liked them at all. They took up too much space and were too jagged. The current stairs are still jagged, but a bit better. I'm not sure I could ever truly escape that without spending an insane amount of time just on steps. I'm not too worried about it though and Im very happy with how flush I got them against the curved walls.

rrr_img_64354.jpg

1st Floor room thus far. Textures aren't final at all. Lots of curves. All the borders are as flush as I can make them. There is very little "buckling".

rrr_img_64355.jpg

Another angle of the 1st floor.

rrr_img_64357.jpg

The beginnings of the 2nd floor. Remnants of the original steps can be seen here. I am deleting them as I go. You can see LOTS of "buckling" with the original steps & the outer wall. You shouldn't see anything that dramatic with the newer steps.

rrr_img_64358.jpg

An Outside View. Started messing with plant props around the doorway. The structure looks distorted at the top but it is simply an artifact of the rendering engine due to how high up it is.

rrr_img_64361.jpg

The Roof. It's nearly a claim high on it's own. I was able to get it fairly smooth on the horizontal but not as smooth as I would have liked on the vertical, thus the "stepped" appearance. Maybe in the distant future Ill revisit this but for the foreseeable future it will remain as-is.

rrr_img_64360.jpg

A look from the top down to the spire. I'm 3 Claims high looking down.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Very little information about EQN is out there right now. We know bits and pieces but that's one of the finer details that'll likely come out closer to release. I've seen speculation (or maybe wishful thinking) that they'll link Landmark and EQN together for the purposes of providing the housing solution.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Will we be able to claim plots and build like Landmark on EQN?
There's a roundtable poll up on the official website about that right now, so we should have a more concrete idea of how it'll work when they do the response video in a few weeks.

That said, I recall them talking about their tentative plans in interviews and the like back around last SOE Live. If I am recalling correctly, their plans were to allow you to acquire claims in EQN, but not have the free-form building that Landmark has; instead, housing will be done through templates, including ones people make in Landmark and put up for sale on the Player Studio.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
I got the 7 day invite (Keoney in game) and I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game. But I think it's going to take me at least 7 days just to gather enough mats to make the tools, etc I need to build. Every time I think I'm making progress, it's like, you need this next tier crap to harvest the next tier that you need to build another tool to harvest the next tier that you need to craft a tool to build, etc etc...I'm in an endless loop of harvesting...
I've been referring to it as "Harvesting: The Game". Bc that's all I've been doing since Friday. I'm sure I'm not "doing it right", but I've read the "getting started" guide and looked for tips and hints.
I did the keen eye bands, and the claim flag. I have my claim and a stone forge. So I guess...back to harvesting...