EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Yeah what's the status with wipes? I remember some pages back there was discussion about what is/is not going to be wiped and when. What solid info is available?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
When they go from closed to open beta, the only things being retained are templates, things bought with Station Cash, and things bought with real cash. Everything else is wiped. And that wipe is the only scheduled one, currently.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
When they go from closed to open beta, the only things being retained are templates, things bought with Station Cash, and things bought with real cash. Everything else is wiped. And that wipe is the only scheduled one, currently.
Exactly....many players are goofing off until that time. (Non builder types)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I explored about 4 or 5 more caves last night. I have to say they are really pretty well done and come off feeling like pretty natural caves. It is SUPER easy to get lost in them if you are not marking your trail by knocking a trail with your pick. Found about 4 crates got some nice lightstone consumables, a bunch of resources and an outfit that looks kinda like a chip n'dales "uniform". Add in some fall damage and some basic monsters and it would be pretty interesting.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I thought you keep your templates & resources? Right?

Terial

Trakanon Raider
i've been in about 12 caves so far, i dig from cave to cave so i can get to the caves that don't have any entrances, but i have yet to find a single crate... are they located just sitting in the caves?

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Chests are just sitting in caves but you might have more luck going to a cave that's rarely visited. Not 100% sure how spawning works yet, but I think there's a chest spawn in each "tile" of the cave and a cave can have up to 3 or so chests spawned at once (maybe based on number of tiles the cave is made of?).

So, if someone sweeps through a cave before you get there.. There won't be anything. I went to a large ice dungeon last night that was pretty massive (but with no claims around it) and found 3 chests inside.

One method I use for clearing caves is cutting down any harvestable plants since you can tell where you've been; I've yet to explore a cave where the plants have started respawning on me.

Bonus side effect.. If you are clearing ice and old forest caves you will get Cordella, Crystia, and plant extract which are the three ingredients needed to make Spirit of the Wolf potions (+5 run speed for 15m). I'm up to a stack of 20, and they increase your run speed significantly

Also if you go into first person mode and press your face against a wall you can see through it, which makes it easier to find branches of the cave you haven't been to (and if your graphics are high enough you can see glowing plants that you haven't harvested)

Oh, and there was a bug before where no trees/props/chests would spawn on some islands; if you don't see plants or props in a cave, there won't be chests.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Also if you go into first person mode and press your face against a wall you can see through it, which makes it easier to find branches of the cave you haven't been to (and if your graphics are high enough you can see glowing plants that you haven't harvested) Oh, and there was a bug before where no trees/props/chests would spawn on some islands; if you don't see plants or props in a cave, there won't be chests.
when i'm done searching a cave, i press my face against the wall to see caves in the distance and tunel to them... they are not connected to any surface or any other cave and never explored. they are full of vegetation and minerals, but never chests. It's kinda cool to look back through the walls and you can see my spider veining of tunnels i create from cave to cave. I'll post a screenshot next time i do this.

edit:

quick example
first pick face against wall, 2nd pick after tunneling to new cave.

QUCzdxo.jpg

48eSgmO.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One other nice trick to finding caves is turn on show claimable land on your map. Any cave area will show reddish once you are in the area hit your mineral detecting thing or stick your face through the world and you can spot the caves and start digging.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
So anyone get one of thosegive-away only portcullis? I'm not a big enough builder to care, but I hope this doesnt foreshadow how they do stuff in EQN.

Some of you are concerned that the recently-available Iron Portcullis (currently only available via sponsored giveaways) cannot be crafted or gained naturally in-game.
Well?that?s the case, and it is intentional.

Also note that just because an item was introduced in a ?rare? giveaway or drop, that does not mean that it won?t show up again later on. It?s even possible for a rare item to become non-rare if it becomes readily available at some point in time. ?Rarity? is not necessarily permanent.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I really enjoyed this line:"It's even possible for a rare item to become non-rare if it becomes readily available at some point in time."

Thanks for sharing that, I needed a laugh.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For anyone not playing but are still interested...Player Studiowent live. Time to get back in and sell those templates! I have a hard time coming up with a whole claims worth of coherent content, but I think just tinkering around and making individual pieces for sale could prove more promising...

An interesting piece:
- You can submit templates containing creations made by more than one person. The number of voxels ?owned? by each person is handled automatically, and royalties will be credited to all creators involved in the creation of that template.

So it seems you could make some good money if you came up with a really great core building piece. You'll continue to get paid even if someone else makes a template out of it!

Patch Notes of other stuff.
Player Studio

Player Studio is now live!
You can now submit your templates to Player Studio and when they're accepted, they'll show up in the marketplace for people to browse through and find something they like.
The full details of how to do this are at the bottom of the update notes for everyone interested!

Showcase

The Showcase has received a bit of a facelift!
We've separated the Marketplace, Gallery, and Competitions in to three separate tabs for ease of use.
Added the ability to cycle through items in the Marketplace, while in the Detail window
Added the ability to sort by World and Island
Increased the size of the screenshots shown so you can more easily see detail

Caves, Resource Veins, and Items

Resource veins have been significantly redistributed, making cave exploration even more rewarding.
On the surface of each island, only common ore, gems, and stone can be found.
Tier 1: copper and agate
Tier 2: iron (plus small amounts of tin), aquamarine, marble, amaranthine
Tier 3: tungsten (plus small amounts of silver), amethyst, marble, amaranthine, obsidian, alabaster
Tier 4: cobalt (plus small amounts of gold), sapphire, obsidian, alabaster
Rare ore and gems have been moved into caves. In addition, materials of the next tier can be found in the caves.
Tier 1 caves: iron, tin, aquamarine, tourmaline, ancient earth
Tier 2 caves: tin, tungsten, silver, tourmaline, amethyst, topaz, ancient earth
Tier 3 caves: silver, cobalt, gold, topaz, sapphire, emerald, ancient earth
Tier 4 caves: gold, mithril, rubicite, emerald, ruby, diamond, ancient earth
Veins that combined stone/metal and stone/gem have been removed.
Ancient earth pockets are no longer found on the surface.
Etherium and moonstone can now be mined in Tier 4 caves. They?re rare, so keep your eyes (and resource detectors) peeled!
Made a couple of changes to treasure chest loot!
First, the Mechanized and Powered Pulverizers have been removed from the treasure chest loot table, and have been replaced with a unique one ? the Calibrated Rockgrinder!
The Rockgrinder is a high-quality pulverizer that is not upgradable, but should perform well for those who do not have upgraded versions of the Powered Pulverizer.
Also, the chance of items such as accessories and gear dropping from chests has been tripled, so these items should be seen more frequently when opening a chest!
The Traveler?s Grappling Hook, a new Tier 1 Grappling Hook, can now be crafted at the Tinkerer?s Workshop. This easy to craft grappling hook is perfect for first time explorers hoping to brave the caves of Landmark.
Lightstones are now craftable at the Tinkerer?s Workshop, providing access to a low cost, consumable, personal light source for Tier 1 players.
The Ore Prospector recipe now requires Aquamarine as its gem component.

Bug Fixes / Misc

Frame rate hitching introduced for some players with the last patch has been largely eliminated--with a bit of a frame rate boost for everyone included!
There was an issue where the screen would become almost completely white when coming out of a cave - this shouldn't occur anymore.
Sometimes you would get extra loot when clicking a Treasure Chest multiple times. Fixed.
Redistributed props on all Islands. This should both eliminate the vast areas of land that had no props.
Occasionally you'd come across trees or plants that could not be harvested. This should be fixed.
Added more Ocean audio near the shore. Waves crashing, etc.
Fixed an issue where your equipped outfit would overlap with the default outfit after zoning.
Addressed numerous crashes.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
New updated blueprint and goals.

403 Forbidden

While we are saving the really big stuff for the debut and press at SOE Live, we also want to keep making the game bigger and better along the way (not just hold everything for the show). So here's what's coming in the near term:

Week of June 25:
Roaming Vectors: What does this do? It lets the tools act with more precision. Line edges are cleaner, shaped blocks are extremely sharp (and also work at the 1-voxel size, letting you create all sorts of shapes with them!) and more.
Smooth-scaling voxel brush sizes: You are no longer constrained to specific voxel brush sizes. Starting at one-voxel size, you can now smoothly scale way up and down again by using the mouse wheel.
Props and Materials : We had a collection of sci-fi props available in the pipeline, so we polished them up and offer them to you now, and we also have a slew of new trapdoors as well. Additionally, there are some new slate-like building materials to use with your Dark Elf workshop efforts!
Week of July 2:
See Players Build: You can now see other players use their tools within the game. You can see their selections, pasteboards, tool rotations, etc. This lets people demonstrate to each other really easily and also allows easier cooperative building and discussion. This is an opt out program, meaning that if you don't want other people to see what you're doing, you can choose to turn it off, and if you're traveling around the world and don't want to see that activity, you don't have to do so. But it's cool. Leave it on.
wink.png

Building Bugs (and quality of life improvements): We've identified a short list of "bugs that must die" that we can kick out quickly. (Some bugs are thornier and not getting solved quickly.) We do these kinds of triages occasionally as we develop to "catch up the loose ends". Upcoming fixes are things like fixing the rotation and translate arrows, fixing grapple so you can grapple from underwater, fix the cursor version of shaped blocks to make rotations/translations more obvious, and more. (NOTE: Bug fixes are ongoing and constant, but we're taking a moment to do special focus this week and clean up a bunch of things.)
MyStore: The first bare bones of MyStore will show up, initially just allowing you to see the status of objects, de-list items from the Player Studio, and edit prices. More will come the next week.
Week of July 9:
Configurable key bindings: Yes, it's WAY overdue. But at last, you can set your own keybindings.
MyStore: Phase 2. Now we add the FOLLOW functionality, as well as historical data (how many units have sold at first, more later.)
Recommendations: There are a LOT of Player Studio items. Now we'll start offering recommendations to players based on activity within the Showcase, thus making it more probable that players will find the things they're interested in.
Week of July 16:
Rotatable Templates: You are no longer constrained to 90 degree rotations on templates! Now you can rotate them freely, just as you do with props. NOTE: There will be artifacts when you rotate at non-90-degree angles, but we're impressed enough with how accurate the rotations are to offer this functionality up.
More props and materials. TBD, but some things added are spotlights. Yes.light that gets cast in a cone in front of the light source!
Week of July 23:
Guilds. Finally! At last! Rejoice!
Negative Templates: Take your template. Paste it into other voxels. Watch it carve its shape out of those voxels, leaving a negative of your template!
Week of July 30:
Delete that doesn't Warp! : Use your delete brush on a voxel. Watch its neighbors NOT CHANGE AT ALL. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
Water as a Material: Place a voxel. Select "water" as a material. Paint the voxel and watch it start to animate as water!
Week of Aug 6:
VoiP : We go native with VoiP, including claim-based open chat so that you can allow players (that you select) to talk openly and freely within your claim boundaries.
Props: Lots and lots of household detail props (drinking glasses, kegs, pots/pans, food and more).
(NOTE: This is a soft week because we're doing crazy prep for the show.)
Week of Aug 14:
SOE Live! And yes, we are unveiling some major new systems at the show. You can probably infer some of the surprises based on what we had on the Blueprint previously, but we definitely have some stunners on the list to unveil at the show.
There are two keynote presentations this year: One for Landmark and one for EverQuest Next. Yes, we're showing a bunch of new stuff for EQN also! Be there!
smile.png

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
And more!

We continue to march forward toward Open Beta after the show!

Caves (phase 2): The cave systems plunge deeper into the earth (much deeper) and the resource tiers get spread out further also.

Recipes & Achievements: Remember those quick fixes we did back in early May? These are the real systems. A recipe book which lets you gather recipes as you explore, only able to make them *after* you find them, not immediately at all crafting stations. The current design was a shortcut for Alpha.

Also Achievements, which is a great system for not only rewarding you for doing cool things as you play, but also as a useful (and optional) way for players to discover the game when they come to it originally.

Map Improvements: Wouldn't it be great to be able to actually find stuff on the map? Like where a player's claims are located? Or where most players are located right now? Wouldn't you like to be able to set a waypoint? Plus tags. You can search for tags on the map and find things easily. (A bit like how you do tag searches in the Showcase, only with real geographic reference in your local area so you can see where it is on your map!)

Minimap: Self-explanatory, but the important thing for those that don't like mini-maps is that you can toggle it on/off.

Glass: As a building material. Let's see what sorts of voxel goodness you can do with that!

Social Systems: A simple label for a LOT of stuff. This is Chat 2.0 (where we overhaul the current chat system for sets of improvements like links, add the MOTD feature so we can tell you important and cool stuff happening in the game, as well as configuration and channel options), and also an overhaul of Groups (for more options and integration with new features).

Voxel Water: Yup. Water becomes a usable material. Now that's going to create some interesting buildouts!

The Economy: Merchants, so you can swap out resources for coin (which pays for upkeep as well as being a handy commodity for trading between players), and the Market Stalls at the Hub (so you have a place to set up shop for travellers passing through).

SOEmote: Machinima creators, rejoice. SOEmote makes its public debut in the game. In addition to the real-time face manipulation, it's also intended to let you record your own emotes, as well as letting you disguise your voice on VoiP (for roleplaying or anonymity).

Above-Sea-Level Water: Ponds and lakes at various altitudes across the islands. More variety of environment and the overall feel of them gets closer to where we want the islands to be aesthetically.

More Map: Fog of war will appear on the maps (unveil them as you explore so you can see where you've been already and explore the rest), and you'll be able to see the maps for other islands and worlds! (Currently, you can only see your current island's map. Getting to see other maps will be useful when you want to find specific biomes or seeing where claim space is available.)

Improved Character Creation:You didn't think the character create you see now was final, did you? Much more is coming. The presentation of that area will be overhauled, there will be more body types and customizations you can make, and more.

Crafting 2.0: This is a lot of stuff, so some of it may slip to June. We'll see how it goes. This includes the Imbuing, Refining, Reinforcing and Salvaging systems that complete the Crafting 2.0 set of upgrades. (The first piece of that new rollout was Upgrading.)

Claims 2.0: Claims have been in a functional, but simple state for a bit now. We'll be making it so you can push a button to place a claim-sized template and letting you swap between those templates easily. ("Mood of the Day" claims, anyone?) We'll be adding the "claim cap" system (where you earn more claims as you game), we'll allow more claim add-ons with variety of ownership (for the true town-type buildouts), and overhaul the upkeep system to be what was designed (instead of the current 8-day system we're using now).

Character "Wearables" System: Say goodbye to the single-piece outfit and hello to the ensemble of parts. This allows a lot more character customization, but it also sets up the systems we need for armor...which we need for Combat. (Oh, the segue.)

Mounts: Yup. Horses are the first goal. We'll see about more.

Dynamic Water: Flowing water that you can manipulate with buckets and voxel dams and culverts. Have fun!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
All sounds pretty good I just find it difficult playing now knowing my shit is all getting wiped... except templates obviously. I've just been maintaining my upkeep once a week, which sucks having to only mine copper.. definitely looking forward to having currency in.