EQOA rose colored glasses thread or "How I learned to MMO"

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Well its time to see who did (or didn't) play this red headed step child of the SOE franchise. This was the first MMO I ever played. I was a console gamer at the time and received a beta disk in the mail around July of 2002.

I played it for about 15 minutes and said "This sucks!". But I went back before I tossed the disk and gave it a serious play through. Started as a human Enchanter in Qeynos. Leveled a bit and got my first suit of armor pet. He was weak but kept the mobs off me so I could kill them. I never ventured too far from the city out of fear. There was a compass but no in game map. I was afraid to get lost. Afraid to get owned by roaming high level mobs. Eventually, I made my way to the Qeynos prison area and grouped up with some random people after I realized the mobs were too tough for me to tackle alone. That's when the addiction set in and It was a wrap from that point on. This was different than any game I had played before.

A month had passed and I was now in an area far away from Qeynos trying to find my way to Highpass Keep. Random people would cast SOW on me and try to point me in the direction I needed to go. I died several times, but I was determined to find my way to Highpass. Finally, upon reaching Highpass, I beheld a sight that literally drove me to level my Enchanter to max. A developer spawned in the middle of the keep as a max level Enchanter with the ultimate pet obtainable, Grand Animation. He was this huge suit of armor with a huge SK looking sword, a badass cape and glowing red eyes. That's when I knew what I wanted to be. That motivated me to spend countless hours grinding. I finished the beta test sad that my progress was for nothing but that fire was still lit in me to play. When it released on the PS2, I rolled on Castle Lightwolf server and the rest is history.

Upon reflecting with my rose colored glasses a few things that EQOA did well for the time that some other MMOs still don't right.

1. Ability to place your stat points - This seems like a small thing, but it truly did lead to your character being unique. You could seriously gimp your character if you placed your points in the wrong stats. The stats you needed depended on your class and the class path you chose. I wish more games allowed for this in todays market.

2. Class Paths - At various levels (20, 30, 40 etc), you had to do class path quests. These led to different abilities being granted to your character. Again, the possibility to differentiate your character and build was possible.

3. Class Mastery - Similar to AA's of EQ, these were points you used to purchase abilities that enhanced your character, with a twist. At Level 55 (max was 60), you were able to choose what class your character would be. For Enchanters you could choose Spellbinder (master charmers) or Animators (master armor summoner). You could only choose one path and the points needed to get these abilities was an investment. You didn't just ding 55 and have them. You knew someone who had their master class and abilities put in some time for them.

4. Open World Map - WoW was not the first MMO with the wide open zoneless world. EQOA did it in 2002. There was no loading. You could run from one end of the world to the other. If you chose fast travel options like the horses, you could zone, but before you could use those horses you had to run to that particular stable and sign the ledger there. No instancing at all. EQ2 was a severe step back in that regard, IMO.

5. No map - This forced you to explore and pay attention to landmarks. Even after we had a zone map available to download, you still had to know the zone to navigate it. Where towns were in the zone, landmarks etc. I liked that they made you learn.

6. No mounts - Having to hoof it everywhere made you appreciate the classes that could SOW or bards with their run speed buffs. Wizards and Druids that could port. It really helped the community aspect of the game.

7. Reputation mattered - EQOA Enchanters didn't mez like their EQ brethren. We were mana batteries. We had to keep the group/raid full of mana without the luxury of a mana bar. Like healing blind you could say. It took some skill to do it well. And that skill earned you a rep as being a great player. Same of all classes really. No dps or threat meters. You just knew who sucked, who was average and who was great at their class. If you were a tool, the server knew your name and you had to reroll or quit. I miss that about MMOs.

EQOA vets feel free to share your memories, rep your guild/server or whatever!

Elerion

N00b
1. Ability to place your stat points - This seems like a small thing, but it truly did lead to your character being unique. You could seriously gimp your character if you placed your points in the wrong stats. The stats you needed depended on your class and the class path you chose. I wish more games allowed for this in todays market.
The ability to gimp your character before you have even started playing the game is TERRIBLE game design. Are you kidding me? Everquest PC eventually "fixed" this through mudflation and hard stat caps, and then created overcap stats instead to even the playing field.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The ability to gimp your character before you have even started playing the game is TERRIBLE game design. Are you kidding me? Everquest PC eventually "fixed" this through mudflation and hard stat caps, and then created overcap stats instead to even the playing field.
Depends. A spellbinder Enchanter would want high CHA and more STA to take hits from mobs they were charming. An animator Enchanter would want INT and STA. If the animator put too many points into CHA, he could gimp himself if he didn't know. But the tooltips told you what each stat did so...not the games fault they can't read right?

These days, games are locked down so right you can't really fail or have any fun. How is that better?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Played the shit out of this after I quit EQ and before WOW release.

Had a Rogue (Wumple) and an Enchanter (Ninikbik) on Diren Hold. Was in a guild called Ethereal Descendants and another one called Genocide at some point.Both top tier guilds on the server... whatever that meant. I was guild leader of ED at some point and I'm pretty sure we cleared Isle of Dread first on server. Was first rogue on server to max, then first to complete 'epic' weapon. . Wonderful game that really captured that early EQ feel for me. Coach paths, compass, open world... Great steps implemented well before WOW did it.

The best part about my memories of this game is how much the lore enriched my perspective of the EQ universe... Even if its all bungled up now, at one point before EQ2 it was not.

Also, WTS CEremonial Vestements PST!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I think I was the 2nd max level enc on my server and I ended up making a second enc on my 2nd acct. She was an erudite scholar enc. I believe I was the first one on any server. No one on the forums thought it was viable but the scholar mana buff was too good for raids to pass up.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Another note... I played this game so much I burned out my launch day PS2 lol

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I loved it. It had a lot of flaws, but it was way ahead of it's time in some areas, and I fucking loved the open world. And it really was an open world, not open in the sense that 'we remove the zone barriers but still have each zone as a tiny little square surrounded by mountains with two or three entrances in a giant patchwork continent,' but open in that you had deserts which bordered on giant grass planes, which bordered on forests, you could walk across most of the continent in an almost straight line, except for dodging the mountains and shit, you could wander along the beach for hours and end up halfway down the continent in a completely different city, you could just explore and find all these random cool places etc, etc. No MMO has really matched that yet in my experience.

Really wish it was still running, or possible to emulate or something. Fun game. Still have the box on the shelf next to my desk.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ya, EQOA probably had the best world of any MMO I have ever played....but it's a close tie with Vanguard.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Most of the flaws were technical limitations of the PS2, IMO. I would love to see that game redone on the PS4 instead of this EQ Next crap we seemed destined to get.

We had some good times grinding Eyes of Xrags for CMs. Spellbinders charming raging rhinos on Odus. I even learned to get IOD pets off and too Freeport as a spellbinder. Was really good shit.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Ya, EQOA probably had the best world of any MMO I have ever played....but it's a close tie with Vanguard.
Oh yeah true, I forgot Vanguard had a similar world design. But, ehh.

Most of the flaws were technical limitations of the PS2, IMO. I would love to see that game redone on the PS4 instead of this EQ Next crap we seemed destined to get.
Definitely.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'd give the world design edge to vanguard in looks and size. But for being such an early MMO, EQOA was no slouch!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Man, EQOA sounds awesome. How in the world did they go from EQ to EQOA to EQ2.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I never played it as I viewed it as the gimpy console version of EQ. The graphics were really bad even compared to EQ PC's somewhat pathetic graphics. Reading stuff like this, though, makes me wish I checked it out.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I wish this game was still around, I always get that urge to go back and play it once every year or two haha.. It's a damn shame.

I never got high level in the game, but I thoroughly enjoyed the time i put into it. It felt more close to EQ1 than any other MMO i've played. I also actually really liked the graphic models, much like i still like the original EQ models heh

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
someone was looking into emulating this awhile back. i think they decided it would be too difficult to do a fully accurate version since there was no resource like Allakhazam's for EQOA. too many of the details lost in time now that the official servers aren't up. =/

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I played for the free month that came with it when I bought it. The open world was pretty awesome and in all honesty when I played the WoW beta it felt really similar to EQOA in a lot of ways. One of the things I remember from EQOA was swimming around high level zones so I could avoid aggro though if I recall there was some crazy sea beast that got me one time. The levelling pace was pretty brisk as I remember getting into the 40s the first month. I definitely could see how it would be fun but I just remember the population being awful low (maybe it was just my server) and sort of hitting wall on character progression. That and I still played EQ1 pretty heavily so I never gave it my full attention. It's too bad SoE could have done a PC port and kept a server or two online.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I never played it as I viewed it as the gimpy console version of EQ. The graphics were really bad even compared to EQ PC's somewhat pathetic graphics. Reading stuff like this, though, makes me wish I checked it out.
EQ's graphics were far from pathetic. They were actually cutting-edge at the time.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I got into the beta for this based on both playing real EQ as well as having a PS2 at the time.

I only ended up playing for like a week or two before I stopped due to not having a keyboard on my PS2. It made it a REAL pain in the ass having any sort of interaction with other gamers. I'd rather play regular EQ in that situation, so I did.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
EQ's graphics were top of the line when it was released. Don't understand why some people criticise it. There were a few weak elements but mostly it was better than anything I had seen before, and I played everything. Look up Quake on youtube and compare.

I am more or less a Vanguard 'hater' these days, but that was one thing they did amazingly well. There was very little child proofing with the stats. You could gimp your character by building it the wrong way (although you could just reset the points). But it also allowed significantly different builds. For example a pure DPS bard compare to a pure tank spec bard is like playing a different class. Same with any class really, they had a strong impact so you could mess about with the classes and make something that nobody else played. Like make a Shaman and build it purely for dps and then you could join a group as a DPS and nobody would complain. I don't think you could do 'anything', like you couldn't make a Sorcerer in to a tank, but most of the classes could be changed a lot, to work how you wanted them to.

Not only that but you got the points regularly, even multiple times within a level, so you always felt like you were progressing.