EQOA rose colored glasses thread or "How I learned to MMO"

Column_sl

shitlord
Coming from EQ, then playing that abortion on the Playstation network add on was almost as bad as playing Everquest 2 when it launched.

Had to wonder did these guys play EQ at all.., and if so that's what you make to proceed it???

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since this is a nostalgia thread, I ran across this. Gotta say the guy put alot of effort into it.
Wow, I have never seen Youtube used in that way before. I suppose it makes sense, but the planning and work that went into it is pretty staggering.

For an online world that no longer exists, this has to be the most comprehensive catalog of content. It there are no emulators, it is pretty cool that it lives on in this fashion.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Coming from EQ, then playing that abortion on the Playstation network add on was almost as bad as playing Everquest 2 when it launched.

Had to wonder did these guys play EQ at all.., and if so that's what you make to proceed it???
I'm fairly certain the PS2 had some pretty bad technical limitations and what they created is still in a lot of ways better than what passes for an MMO these days.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
EQ's graphics were far from pathetic. They were actually cutting-edge at the time.
Unreal engine looked much better and was a year old when EQ came out. EQ was cutting edge for online MMORPG's in comparison to Meridian 59 and Ultima Online, but it was certainly not cutting edge, graphically, if you were already gaming with a 3D accelerator from the beginning.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
You're looking at the game through a modern lens. If you had all the settings maximized, it looked pretty damn good and similar to its contemporaries. Barring superhuman foresight, I can guarantee no one thought the graphics were shitty.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
No, I'm looking through my computer in 1998 when I bought Unreal and then when I had EQ in 1999 and thinking, I wish this shit looked better. Hey, I loved EQ, but I know for a fact how my brother and I thought of the graphics back then. Pathetic may have been a bit hyperbolic on my part, but it was most definitely not that great looking compared to the first-person shooters, etc.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The first and only time I thought that, was when Luclin launched.
Yeah, the hilarious part of Luclin was that intended it to be an improvement. Just goes to show that a higher poly-count doesn't make up for shit art. I played with oldschool models for the entirety of my EQ tenure.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah I remember they would make cartoons making fun of how blocky EQ's graphics were.

I guess cause the consoles had pretty decent graphics at that time such as Shen Mue etc

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah I remember they would make cartoons making fun of how blocky EQ's graphics were.

I guess cause the consoles had pretty decent graphics at that time such as Shen Mue etc
I'll be the first to admit EQOA's graphics were pretty bad. But you can't tell me shit about it not being fun as hell controlling your character thru those long grinds with a controller vs a mouse while sitting in front of a big screen.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
I'll be the first to admit EQOA's graphics were pretty bad. But you can't tell me shit about it not being fun as hell controlling your character thru those long grinds with a controller vs a mouse while sitting in front of a big screen.
I loved 4+ hour grinds at the: Qeynos Prison, Black Swan Inn Bandits/Trees/Instant spawn gnolls or the lesser known snake cave, then Deathfist Citadel for a long time, then those Icebone skeletons in Permafrost. At level 44 I soloed mostly and overnight pet xp'd as a necro. Those shade pets were so awesome. I really miss this game and would give my left nut for an emulated server.

Donjohnson, Diren Hold circa 2003

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_66850.jpg
rrr_img_66851.jpg

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
We were able to create our own "patching" server to get to this login screen. The client connects to our makeshift server but we're not exactly where to proceed from here. It looks like the client connects, server acknowledges, receives the login/registration data but doesn't know what to do with it.

This project is being run by amateurs so if anyone with skillz wants to hop aboard, anyone that can program or knows a good deal about creating databases/login servers, please send me a PM.