Equal Pay for Equal Work?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
And I was an Executive at a Fortune 10 company by the time I was 30. Most successful people know what they are worth and how to get it. If I was in his shoes, I'd either get competitive offers or be patient. I remember when I was first put at that level, I was underpaid also, compared to my peers. I had to wait five years to get equal pay. It took pay raises of 10% a year for those ten years to get there. I was unable to generate competitive offers, as I didn't have enough time at that level. No one wants to take a chance on a guy that just got there (at least in the industry I was in). I stopped whining when I couldn't get the competition to pay me more, and had to just sit still and wait my turn. Finally I figured out that you only get what you are worth by owning your own thing, as someone else said in the thread earlier.

P.S.: When I'm full staffed, pruning trees nets me in one day what I made in a week at a corporation, I like it just fine.
And what does any of that have to do with software development? I wonder, did they teach you about supply and demand in business school? Because here is a tip, the demand for semi decent developers, or better, is through the roof and way outpaces the supply. Anyone with a few years of experience and decent shower habits can obtain a job programming with or without a degree. A degree only helps one get his foot in the door, nothing else.

Don't mind wormie she's just some cunty paper pusher in the mortgage industry.
Nope. You are stupid.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
And what does any of that have to do with software development? I wonder, did they teach you about supply and demand in business school? Because here is a tip, the demand for semi decent developers, or better, is through the roof and way outpaces the supply. Anyone with a few years of experience and decent shower habits can obtain a job programming with or without a degree. A degree only helps one get his foot in the door, nothing else.
Did you miss the part I said about getting competitive offers, or are you a moron?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Did you miss the part I said about getting competitive offers, or are you a moron?
Did you miss the part where whatever you did at a corp has nothing to do with the field that jake is in so comparing the ability to get job offers between the two is relegated to the realm of the retarded?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Definitely correct on the cunty part.
That part is correct. I called him stupid because i am not that other shit that he said. Anyway, experience trumps degrees with programmers. If Jake wants more money, he needs to brush up on his interviewing skills (lots and lots of data structures) and then switch jobs a few times. Degree not required.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That part is correct. I called him stupid because i am not that other shit that he said. Anyway, experience trumps degrees with programmers. If Jake wants more money, he needs to brush up on his interviewing skills (lots and lots of data structures) and then switch jobs a few times. Degree not required.
You are repeating what I said, thank you for that.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You are repeating what I said, thank you for that.
What you said is how awesome you are for getting a business degree and how important that degree is for getting a good job. So yeah I am totally repeating what you said.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Let me get this straight: you have two individuals applying for thesameposition. One has a degree, the other does not. However, both individuals, given their work experience, are equally qualified for the job. However, because the degree holder "took time out of the workfoce and spent money" automatically entitles him to greater pay? I call bullshit on that. Granted, maybe thatisreality, but that's bullshit. As a employer I don't give a shit if you spent a crap ton of money on a education at some highfalutin university. All I care about is if you cando the damn job. If the two people are equally capable then the pay should be exactly the same.
Kinda like a good ole boy network isnt it?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess I'm in the really super minority. I never cared what someone else at work was making. I figured I agreed to what I wanted to make for X job when I went to work there regardless of what someone else was making. Never understood it.

As far as my employer knows I have a GED (which I do) and I'm VP of engineering and about 10% of the workers in my department have engineering degrees. I looked at their salary range, apparently some can negotiate better than others. Not my problem. If you don't like the pay when they offer, look elsewhere. So you were happy with X amount, then found someone else made Y, still don't get it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Depends on the disparity. I can understand why women get so uppity when it's 40%. It is their fault to a point...but why should that stop someone from getting pissed off?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Let me get this straight: you have two individuals applying for thesameposition. One has a degree, the other does not. However, both individuals, given their work experience, are equally qualified for the job. However, because the degree holder "took time out of the workfoce and spent money" automatically entitles him to greater pay? I call bullshit on that. Granted, maybe thatisreality, but that's bullshit. As a employer I don't give a shit if you spent a crap ton of money on a education at some highfalutin university. All I care about is if you cando the damn job. If the two people are equally capable then the pay should be exactly the same.
Let's take away the software development aspect.

If two people applied for any job with exactly equal qualifications but one guy had a degree and the other didn't, I'd absolutely give the guy with a degree the job unless he was an asshole. It's nothing about sunk cost - I don't know anyone that even thinks about that stuff - it's that this guy potentially has a far greater skillset that he possibly hasn't demonstrated yet. Additionally I know generally what gaps I can expect and how to address them - the other guy I am going on just what he learned on his jobs.

To me that sounds absolutely fair, but I understand in your shoes it does not. But if you think about it logically you'll see it makes sense. The guy with the degree is more valuable.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I dont see how it is a surprise at all. If there was a noticeable difference in experience between the two, then that is different

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shits like this all over the place. Im in automotive engineering and they wont even look at you anymore without a piece of paper. It was not like this in the past. Some of the best engineers I have met were non-degreed, entering the automotive workforce in the 60's as technicians, designers, draftsman Then they worked their way up through the roles. Now the problem is the influx of foreigners which makes things even worse. Dudes from India and Mexico are trying to enter the field but instead of wielding BSME, the have Doctorates and masters from some University of New Dehli.

And I worked with some of them, still do. some are just as good if not better than average joe. But some still suck and have no place being in the industry. Its the same old bullshit wherever I go, 80-20, 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. The rest are there as just "filler".

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess I'm in the really super minority. I never cared what someone else at work was making. I figured I agreed to what I wanted to make for X job when I went to work there regardless of what someone else was making. Never understood it.
I cared, but realized it's not going to happen overnight. I remember when I got to a certain pay grade, I was excited, until I saw where the grade maxed out at. It was all about seniority, and not about performance. You had guys who were at that level a longer time, but with smaller areas of responsibility making a lot more than I was. A guy who was 50 made much more than me at 30, even though we were the same level, and I had more responsibility. That was just reality.

There's no where to go but up from here, that has to be a positive.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Somewhere around 6-7 years ago at work we were not able to hire anyone in to an Engineering position without an actual engineering degree. It created a lot of situations where people that had been field engineers for 10, 15, 20 years or whatever couldn't leave that position and come back, because they weren't degreed. Kind of ridiculous and seemed like HR nonsense. Even as a new hire almost a decade ago it was obvious that these 'non' engineers knew a metric shit ton more than I did. There were a few situations where one would leave for a sales position or otherwise and would move back. We'd have to work around HR and get them hired in under some random job title that was at the same pay grade but not an 'Engineer' titled position.

Then you have the situation where I was promoted at a much more accelerated rate than a lot of the engineers that came in at the same time and was making significantly less than other people at my same level. They had been through more promotions, salary adjustments, yearly raises, moved through pay terciles, etc... I took it as more an opportunity to move up faster and didn't argue / negotiate the pay discrepancy. Maybe bad on my part but it is in the past. But things like that happen as well.

Lastly in some cases you could actually leave the company and get hired back in at the same position and make appreciably more. The requirements for an internal promotion salary adjustment (or even a yearly merit increase) aren't as competitive as hiring outside talent. And to HR in these situations it appeared as if it was outside, which I guess it was, so they got in at the market rate and not their shitty 4% pay increase for the promotion rate. Seems like a lot more risk but saw it happen quite a few times.

It is an interesting game and you can spend a lot of time trying to min/max it if you're so inclined.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In my law firm the associates do 90% of the work on any given case and the partners parachute in and make some decisions based on our work that were blindingly obvious anyway, show up to court and take the credit because they read my work out loud.

Seniority is seniority, thats just how the world is. Old guys own the companies and make the rules, go figure they feel like being old and experienced is worth a lot.

Also degreed guys probably run the company and think degrees are worth a lot, go figure.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Keep in mind lyrical prunes trees and knows zero about software development
I know about software development and I agree with him. What's annoying is that before your rant you agreed with what he said. Switch jobs.

Oh and we go around about this in the CompSci thread. Yes, there are a lot of great software developers without degrees and a lot of poor software developers with degrees. The degree, however, is hard proof of your accomplishment. Proving your a good software developer is very difficult. Pointing to a 5 year body of work is nice, but it's difficult for someone to determine your impact on that project.

Every software project I've ever worked on has had people involved with it that were carried. If we all go out and look for jobs who can gain the most credibility in claiming ownership of that project? Generally the people who can talk the talk the best. It's just like MMO gaming. Someone claims to be a big part of a server-first kill of Heroic Lich King, then later you find out that they weren't even in the raid and were only invited to the guild because their brother-in-law was the MT.