Eternals (2021)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm thinking if this had been made just a couple years later they would have been wise to start with a 6-hour Disney+ series that introduces the Eternals and covers a good portion of their backstory (which apparently is half this movie) and getting them all to the present day. Then they could have come in with the 'snap' that triggers the Deviants to re-emerge and spent the 120+ min runtime on that self-contained story.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm thinking if this had been made just a couple years later they would have been wise to start with a 6-hour Disney+ series that introduces the Eternals and covers a good portion of their backstory (which apparently is half this movie) and getting them all to the present day. Then they could have come in with the 'snap' that triggers the Deviants to re-emerge and spent the 120+ min runtime on that self-contained story.
One episode per Eternal with some interconnectivity would have been good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

The Hollywood Reporter's sources suggest that the film's inclusion of a same-sex couple is one of the elements that led to it being blocked from movie theaters in at least three Gulf countries, where homosexual conduct is still illegal. THR also reports that local censors had a list of edit requests that Disney declined to make. Meanwhile, Deadline reports that Kuwait and Qatar censors additionally objected to a cinematic depiction of gods, which is considered blasphemous.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Goatface

1636079852098.png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Masakari

<Gold Donor>

The Hollywood Reporter's sources suggest that the film's inclusion of a same-sex couple is one of the elements that led to it being blocked from movie theaters in at least three Gulf countries, where homosexual conduct is still illegal. THR also reports that local censors had a list of edit requests that Disney declined to make. Meanwhile, Deadline reports that Kuwait and Qatar censors additionally objected to a cinematic depiction of gods, which is considered blasphemous.

What's Hollywood going to due when China abandons entertaining their woke agenda?

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Enjoyed it for the most part. Some great after credit scenes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
it aint just no eternals. show me a marvel release in china that happened since the end of summer

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

"According to Deadline, Eternals is still set to screen in the United Arab Emirates — Sleiman's native country — as well as Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt. But audiences in those countries will reportedly see an altered version that removes scenes featuring both heterosexual and homosexual intimacy."

Looks like I'm gonna be pirating the Muslim version

What a time to live in 😅

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Here's a non-spoiler review for you:

Don't bother. This has about as much to do with the MCU as the Inhumans TV series did. While there will be a direct impact from this story on the rest of Phase 4 (or Phase 5) that impact could be summarized in a throwaway line in another movie.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
One episode per Eternal with some interconnectivity would have been good.

James Gunn has talked about he or Marvel having this idea for Guardians before it came out, similarly due to the characters being unfamiliar to the audience at large.

The idea was scrapped due to him not really having the time to do them plus the shorts at the same time. He said the Quill portions were partially filmed and basically became the intro to him we get in the movie, and he was really proud of the Rocket and Groot (I think) one that was storyboarded but never shot and maybe someday he would revisit it.

That idea probably was never broached for Eternals due to why it failed in the first place (time), but perhaps they could have figured something out in the last year with the delays + new mando filming tech Disney has access to.

Goatface

not going to keep doing this :) , but pretty crazy for top critics exspecially when top critics had 25 fresh yesterday..
1636131931834.png

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I dont think it's all that crazy if you look at how the average rating is moving.

Looks like most critics are rating it between a 5 or 6 out of ten, with more rating it towards 6 as more are seeing it, with the audience rating being a pretty solid 8. Early audience viewers will probably skew high due to the fact that they probably like Marvel more than the average movie goer (I know that goes for me when I saw it last night to a pretty packed house).

I'd say a 5 to 8 range is probably where most people would fall. I would be surprised if most people loved or out right hated the movie. it is slow, its a new arm of the MCU so there is not a lot of connective tissue, some characters are better than others, the cosmic stuff is pretty cool, the cast chemistry is pretty good, movie is a solid "fine". I imagine most people who would rate it lower than 5 would do so due to it being over 2.5 hours long, and still being just fine.

I would rate this and venom 2 pretty similar in quality, for example, but I would rate Venom 2 higher, since it was so short, I didnt care as much that it was just "fine"

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Audiences have self-selection bias (i.e. the vast majority of people choosing to show up to a Marvel movie on day one are fans of Marvel movies). Critics do not.

Those values match the common perception of 'Mediocre-tier Marvel factory film'.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Here's a non-spoiler review for you:

Don't bother. This has about as much to do with the MCU as the Inhumans TV series did. While there will be a direct impact from this story on the rest of Phase 4 (or Phase 5) that impact could be summarized in a throwaway line in another movie.

Non-spoiler response:

Disagree. I wondered how they would integrate going forward, and while I think some stories have just been parked for any possible future usage, there are events in this movie that will be referenced like 'the blip' and 'the battle for New York'. And that's not even addressing the end credits scenes. Wouldn't be surprised to see the conclusion result in the driving threat/events of phase 5 or 6.

Think they did a good job of establishing the Eternals and giving us reasons to care or dislike some of these characters. Went in a fan of the MCU and knowing relatively little about the Eternals and IMO they nailed it again. A 5-6 part series fleshing out some of the arcs a bit more could have been really good too.

As for the controversial stuff (minor not-really spoiler), as a parent of 4 kids between 8 and 11, think my biggest concern about them seeing it isn't the gay couple, but rather how much they leaned into establishing Sersi and Ikaris relationship. Think that was more we've seen than any other Marvel movie?

• 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if you're taking your kids to see faggots, you got bigger problems than Marvel films.

• 4Like
  • 2Edgelord
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
if you're taking your kids to see faggots, you got bigger problems than Marvel films.
Christ almighty we get it. You're a closet case that sniffed his roommate's jock in the dorm. Let it go ya psycho.

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 12 users