Eugene, Oregon. Possible move

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm actually looking at a job opportunity in Portland myself. My general and halfassed research has turned up pretty positive things so far. Anything I'm missing that would give me pause to move there? I'm in Denver now, so I'm pretty used to the homeless thing and I can deal.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TJT TJT

The real concern is what I asked Aldarion Aldarion ... Housing costs have gone up 300%+ in five years. Pop in the metro is now 350k, so it's growing.

Seems like the best time to buy high and get raped?

Not totally sure as I've never lived in Eugene. But Coos Bay and Bend home prices have been insane for a long time. Pretty sure that's just the way it is around there. Bend had the unfortunate fate of nearly all property being bought up by Californian investors and then they immediately jacked up the rent costs so much that a lot of people I know had to bail.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Portland is cool, Southeast is less SJW. NW / Pearl is ultra Hipster/Trendy Shopping. SW is very Business oriented and full of condescending people that think that anyone not in SW is a piece of shit. N portland is trying out gentrification and is where streets called Mississippi, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King all go through...

Eugene is hippie, yeah, but more like 90's grunge/60's hippie's kind of way. Springfield is where all the mill workers/poor live, very conservative.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I don't think you guys know what poor is if you think 200k houses are "the Poor's".

Looking at the income levels, where do the actual poor people live? Or is that part of the West coast homeless thing?

Average income in Eugene is sub 50k/yr. Where do those people live?

Or is it a 75% of everything earned goes up housing and we live three deep because this place is that great?

Like what the fuck is going on up there?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
How far East of Springfield would we have to move to get non rapey home prices?

Her job would be easy Springfield, and a 20 minute drive for her is 110% acceptable.

Looking for a few acres and a small house. Vida was a maybe.
Dont know east of Springfield. I live halfway between Corvallis and Eugene in a tiny town called Monroe. We bought a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, >2200 sq ft, >2 acres, for 250. Not too rapey.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Dont know east of Springfield. I live halfway between Corvallis and Eugene in a tiny town called Monroe. We bought a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, >2200 sq ft, >2 acres, for 250. Not too rapey.

How many years ago? That's fairly decent all things considered.

fresh

<Gold Donor>
I lived in Eugene for 4 years during college and I would not call it "hipster." Unclear whether or not Tyen has actually been there from his comments. It is dominated by the University, so although the metro area has a small population there is a lot of decent cultural stuff going on, and it has a decent little downtown area by the river. U of O recently built an NBA style basketball area, so they get all of the major touring groups. There are tons of super granola stores and festivals, which is great if you are into that stuff, but easy to ignore if you are not.

I definitely would not recommend living in Springfield as it is a depressing strip mall of a town. Buy something 20 miles outside the city, traffic will only be an issue when there's a football game or something going on and you will get way more for your dollar. I purchased my house in a small town in Oregon a little over 3 years ago and the value has already gone up about 40%.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Looking at the area within a thirty minute commute of Springfield (wife's job offer is there).

As far as climbing land prices, the cost of housing had gone up 300% in five years in the Eugene area.

Wife and I are still weighing it out, hate Houston but it's a tough pill to swallow on higher cost and lower wages.

Prolly make a decision in the next week either way

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't think you guys know what poor is if you think 200k houses are "the Poor's".

Looking at the income levels, where do the actual poor people live? Or is that part of the West coast homeless thing?

Average income in Eugene is sub 50k/yr. Where do those people live?

Or is it a 75% of everything earned goes up housing and we live three deep because this place is that great?

Like what the fuck is going on up there?
Lol, welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

The housing prices are insane and you are right. If you make 50k a year, you're fucked.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol, welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

The housing prices are insane and you are right. If you make 50k a year, you're fucked.

What's min salary to rent a decent place in the Portland area?

Crone

What's min salary to rent a decent place in the Portland area?
Depends what you need.

I've got a wife and 3 kids, and was looking for a 3/2 minimum, and $1600/month was pretty minimum to find a place.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depends what you need.

I've got a wife and 3 kids, and was looking for a 3/2 minimum, and $1600/month was pretty minimum to find a place.

That's not bad. I'd be solo or with gf. Lots of hobbies though, so I would need a 2BR at min (1100-1300 sq ft) for storage and office space (or a really big 1BR with storage). Haven't really checked out buying prices yet, either. I'd have a firm ceiling of like 400k for a small house (2-3 BR).

What's the worst thing about living in Portland?

Crone

That's not bad. I'd be solo or with gf. Lots of hobbies though, so I would need a 2BR at min (1100-1300 sq ft) for storage and office space (or a really big 1BR with storage). Haven't really checked out buying prices yet, either. I'd have a firm ceiling of like 400k for a small house (2-3 BR).

Worst thing about living in Portland is living in Portland.

Naw, I'm not that familiar to be honest. I live across the river in Vancouver, and avoid Portland as much as possible. Typical crowded downtown things is I avoid it.

I was born and raised in Phoenix AZ metro area. Crowded downtowns, and insane traffic are things I'm not used to, and I still hate even though I've been in the PNW for 4 years now.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looking at the area within a thirty minute commute of Springfield (wife's job offer is there).

As far as climbing land prices, the cost of housing had gone up 300% in five years in the Eugene area.

Wife and I are still weighing it out, hate Houston but it's a tough pill to swallow on higher cost and lower wages.

Prolly make a decision in the next week either way

I've wondered this in Oregon a lot. Average salary in my hometown of Coos Bay is barely $40k. Yet everything there even shitty houses built in the 1930's cost like $250k or more.

I do not understand it.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I have family in Springfield and they have a rough time with 1 income of $65k, the dad is a 26 something millworker that works 60 hours a week.

I think their rent is 1100 a month for a 3 bedroom 1100 sqft house with 2 car garage.

Portland close in is 1500-1800 for a 1-2 bedroom. Glad my mortgage is only 1k and I am 15 minutes driving in medium traffic to get downtown, 26 minutes on the MAX train.

And Springfield housing prices will keep going up too, we looked at moving in the east past it and were still seeing what we think is too high.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Doubt we will end up there, it's about a 35k swing (after tax, income and basic expenses).

That's not insignificant to us at this point.

If I can find some super cheap housing, might swing back the other way, but looking doubtful right now.

Thx everyone for the info.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider

If you don't need to live in a stupid high rise, you can find generic ass apartments for around 1000-1100 for a 1 or 2 bedroom and still somewhat close to downtown, most people that are moving here want to live in some poorly built condo that's 5 years old and already falling apart.

As for Eugene, it's fine as long as you live slightly out of town. had an old boss that lived in Albany and was a single dad with 3 kids and never stressed about money. Hippies aren't that bad in the city, it's when you head out to Corvallis that things start smelling like patchouli.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Had to go there for some dumb festival over the weekend, we only stayed for two hours:

IMG_0945.jpg

• 1WTF

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ya, u have no idea...Bend OR is even worse for Antifa idiots.
I grew up in Bend (mid 80s to 2003, off and on since 2003), and it's fucking insane now. I hate going back there once a year.

It's nothing but Hipsters (the extreme of the stereotype) and Virtuous open-border yippies. That place is nothing like it was 20 years ago.

edit: If I was forced to move back to the Bend area, these would be my preference-
1. Redmond
2. Alfalfa
3. Tumalo
4. Crooked River Ranch
5. Deschutes river woods (deep, well past the Brookswood Plaza area)

The condos at "Bend River Suites" used to be absolute shitholes where us poor white trash would buy weed and mushrooms, but they're decent now. My girlfriend's brother just bought a condo there for (i think) >$200k, and it's a couple doors down from my best friend's place that he bought in the late 90s for under $60k

Last edited:
  • 1Like