Europa Universalis IV

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
That’s probably a bad idea to force convert them. 50%+ liberty desire PUs can break away on ruler death, and them being Catholic doesn’t matter much.

i reread the rules and it said "same religious group", not same religion.

so as long as we're all christians, i think we're all good. yeah not gonna force convert them

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
woooop.jpg

Was thinking of using my mission tree to vassalize commonwealth, now that I should have all of the HRE annexed or disolved within a couple years. Taking a look at my relations, I might have made a mistake guaranteeing them and letting them expand freely. Aggressive expansion is a wee bit high.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I just managed to PU the Commonwealth as Sweden. Took about half a century.

What do I do now? I never PU'd anyone before. How do I use them? How do I keep them PU'd?

P.S. Commonwealth holds Novgorod which I need as Sweden to complete a mission and advance in the mission tree. Any idea how I can get it from them? There is no "Seize Land" option like you have with a vassal

View attachment 467553
Nice Swedish Mariupol you have there!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's been too much fun playing with this custom nation. I did start with only a single province and that was a challenge for a while, but now it's just insane. I just cored some Italian provinces I had claims on in seven months. It's 1585 and as you can see I've annexed England, France, and Spain -- all of them still quite strong at the time. My custom NI of 20% war scored reduction, 20% from Diplomacy, and 15% from Malta (I went Protestant this game) led to some pretty amazing grabs. It's so easy to get a lot of land with very little war score.

Obviously this is overpowered, but it's been a nice casual run (though still a challenge when doing things like fighting Austria, France, and about 10 HRE nations at once). I still need to get Influence before I actually considering trying to annex these beasts (and it'll take a decade or two for England and France to drop enough in liberty desire). Portugal was my first annex and with Spain I've also got a pretty strong colonial position.

arf.jpg

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
Im playing a fun little Sweden game (trying to get my Lions of the North money's worth) and I have a mission to get a province in Asia for trade (somewhere in India, China, Japan or the Indies).

My closest province would be somewhere by the Caucasus Mountains. I can spend the next 50 years fighting through Timurids (and I probably eventually will) to get there, but I wanted to see if there was a shortcut.

I dont have any colonists so I cant send anyone, but can I start a war with some small 3 province nation and annex their land? I remember there is coring distance mechanic that wouldnt let you directly do this on the other side of the world, but is there a way around it, like making them a vassal or something? Should I just start a war with some European powers and demand their overseas provinces in a peace deal after I win?

Whats the cost efficient and fastest way of going about this?

P.S. The 3 major alliances in the game are Portugal, England and me (Scandinavia), Spain and pretty much no one (Austria and Papal State) and France and half the HRE. Ive been rivaling France and Spain for a long time now and they hold a lot of colonial land so that slugfest is going to happen regardless, but we are all equal in military so it wont be pretty.

DickTrickle

Started an England campaign and the game has crashed to desktop twice in the first two minutes, just from clicking menus... lol.

Edit: Just crashed after loading the game, opening the mission tree and mousing over the outcomes. Fucking buggy cocksuckers.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Looks like maybe it was just a shitty Steam update. Tried a few things that didn't work but it seems to be fine after completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Phew!

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Kind of feeling that espionage is actually a genuine choice now. Being able to claim an entire state is really powerful. That combined with siege ability and AE reduction (as well as good policies) makes it super appealing. Plus it's diplo points which are usually the least important.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Got the new expansion. New Russian mission tree? Guess we gonna be going muscovy! Looking at the tree, it appears theres a guaranteed disaster the moment your ruler dies. FUN. Time to embrace being poor and work toward discovering sails and wheelbarrows.

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
I cant upgrade yet since I'm in 1750 with my Sweden game :|

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
They really done messed with the privileges. Hard to know what to pick now. Some sound super powerful, but then the words "THIS ESTATE CANNOT BE REVOKED" intimidate me from them. I do like that you can just buy loyalty from the church, cause that's pretty much how it was, and the advisor cost ones getting nerfed seems good.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Started a Muscovy campaign and it's going pretty well. Have a solid chunk of the missions and land taken though I've got only one useless ally (first in debt and now bankrupt) and Poland/Lithuania/Sweden/England are allied together and strong so I can't really face them right now. Money continues to be really tight.

That mission that looks like a disaster was no big deal at all.

Can't wait to get to Russia. Need their way better ideas and empire rank pronto.

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
You can switch between various versions using the beta drop-down, if you want to try it out. Though, at 1750, you're pretty close to the end anyway.

If I switch now, I'll never come back to finish

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

It's been interesting seeing how differently some of the other countries are playing out this game (especially ones I've had no influence over). Spain does not exist and Castille doesn't seem to be colonizing well -- Columbia is owned by the English. Meanwhile, in England, Scotland still has a solid chunk of land. France has Foix and Britanny eating up its land. Portugal has two colonies but still seems slow compared to last patch?

When I allied the Mamluks to go after the Ottos, they were comparable in manpower and the Ottos didn't have much of the Arabian peninsula (though they certainly swallowed up Hungary). I've successfully butchered the Commonwealth and Ottomans such that they're no longer a real threat.

I don't know, it could be I'm just way ahead timewise for when I have a country this size. Usually I play much smaller nations so my timeline sense may be off (though England getting Columbia is definitely not the norm). It's 1536 and Russia is definitely wrecking things. I'm enjoying the new mechanics (and new ones to me, not just 1.35). I'm actually spying like crazy and it's kind of amazing and very fitting for Russia.

One more thing that is really a huge change is slacken recruitment. I find myself still using some mercenaries and being very careful about managing my manpower. If slacken recruitment was like the old way, I'd really be rolling right now. Definitely worth considering Quality again with other nations. Really looking forward to playing Sweden/Scandinavia and going hard with mercenaries and the merc idea.

1536.jpg

Last edited:

faille

Molten Core Raider
finally got a chance to dive into the new DLC
anyone know a good guide / youtube about the changes? the patchnotes are always so dry I find it hard to work out what they actually mean in real terms.
The dev diaries are a bit too long and drawn out. Just need a simply summary of the changes and what they mean when actually playing. is that so hard?!

DickTrickle

finally got a chance to dive into the new DLC
anyone know a good guide / youtube about the changes? the patchnotes are always so dry I find it hard to work out what they actually mean in real terms.
The dev diaries are a bit too long and drawn out. Just need a simply summary of the changes and what they mean when actually playing. is that so hard?!
I'm not sure any guide or video would really be less effort than the dev diaries, since most I've seen basically regurgitate the dev diaries with commentary.

A lot of it is very country specific, too, so a lot of it you can skip if you know what country you might want to play. Pretty much all the countries touched are majors or regional majors.

That said, I think the biggest non-country specific changes are:

1) Tons of new estates with myriad awesome options. I'm absolutely loving this as it adds a lot of flexibility.
2) Slackening recruitment no longer gives you direct manpower and basically sucks now. It's only useful if you have a huge store of manpower and want to doomstack opponents quickly.
3) Three new idea groups: Infrastructure, Court, and Mercenary. Infrastructure seems weak, Mercenary is powerful but obviously situational, and Court seems useful if you really go hard on using as many of the new estates as possible (though probably still weak overall).
4) Additional new government reforms across many tiers as well as a brand new military reform tier for many nations (Tier 5). A lot of solid, useful options there.