Europa Universalis IV

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Remind me, Russia isn't in the white people tech group right? So will take longer to tech up until they Westernise?
Yeah they're in the eastern tech group, plus their power curve depends on them expanding eastward and blobbing.

Also westernization isn't a thing anymore thankfully -- that mechanic sucked badly. Instead, you have institutions that spawn at various date milestones based on specific conditions, which allows any tech group to stay at parity with Western tech so long as they can embrace that institution. It radiates out like religion, and you can force it to spawn faster/wider by using development to make your land better. Almost all institutions spawn somewhere in Europe, so Europeans are usually ahead at tech throughout the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Yeah they're in the eastern tech group, plus their power curve depends on them expanding eastward and blobbing.

Also westernization isn't a thing anymore thankfully -- that mechanic sucked badly. Instead, you have institutions that spawn at various date milestones based on specific conditions, which allows any tech group to stay at parity with Western tech so long as they can embrace that institution. It radiates out like religion, and you can force it to spawn faster/wider by using development to make your land better. Almost all institutions spawn somewhere in Europe, so Europeans are usually ahead at tech throughout the game.
A player can cause most of the mid-late game institutions to spawn outside Europe if they know the conditions and play towards them. It really makes things interesting in Europe when they lose first dibs at the institutions.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.png

Time for the HRE slappy fest. I'm gonna sit back and hope everyone else burns their troops. Good timing too, since I had a huge coalition just form against me for eating some free cities.

And Gdamn prussian space marines. Just had 35k polish drop on my 11k, and lost the battle, but they took far more casualties than me.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Dat bordergore!
wooop.png

I'm embracing the prussia of the sea mentality and focusing on coastlines for reasons, so behold land-locked Sweden. I had a diet for both those inland provinces. Considering releasing them back to sweden just for the lols. I cleaned up some of my HRE splotches, but the border definitely isn't the prettiest, and I managed to snipe poland's capital in the HRE reformation war.

I swear the France and Castile in my game are retarded. It's really weird to see Aragon still around this late in the game without losing any territory to Castile. France only just recently managed to retake brittainy, but it was up to me to reclaim northern France from Britain. I then got cheeky and tried to storm Great Britain itself. Many ships were lost, and then GB even surprised me with a much larger army than they had at the start of the war, while taking a tech way ahead of time to give them an advantage. They managed to take a chunk of territory before I battered them out.

Runs been pretty entertaining, and I'm still not to the point where I could say I won.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
That Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth is looking beefy. Are you going to invade the UK?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth is looking beefy. Are you going to invade the UK?
UK deep dicked my fleet last war, so I prepped a fleet of 60 heavies to hold off the british long enough to get my space marines to the other side of the channel. Boats deployed, 50 transports ready, and soldiers amassed. I hit the go button and UK fleet hasn't shown up before my soldiers land. First fight I then stack wiped an army of the same size.

wooop.png

Ferrying over my second group, I start to wonder, where the hell is the British navy? Turns out the British navy never decided to show up? Really no idea what happened to them? Needless to say, London is now mine and the British empire's days are numbered.

Poland is under the gun next. Russia and the Ottomans are both pretty massive. Morocco is surprisngly strong and holds a lot of Africa. I kinda want to let the new world run some more on its own. Floride is experiencing manifest destiny and controls the eastern half of the US, so French America might actually form. Russia has been my brosef all game, so I'm being nice to them. Their economy is completely fucked, though.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Pictures like this just make me feel good inside. Russia decided to join in on my war on their own, despite being colossally in debt and having no income. Here comes the manpower swarm from the far east. On top of that, the very first province the assholes start sieging is my war goal. I'll continue being nice though. I got my dynasty on their throne, so the chance of a PU with russia is pretty much GG world.
wooop.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.png

Cleaned up most of my free city aids just for you aaron. After a bad war with me, Austria is the new world punching bag. Racing everyone else to gobble up whats left of the HRE. Managed to take #1 world power. I fed some land to my vassal norway so they'll do blockades for me. There's still a few very powerful alliances for me to break before I consider the game won.

• 1Solidarity

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
You going to form Germany? I forget if they get better ideas -- I do know that -50% gov cap on Prussia is really punitive when you get this large.

Also, did you get that PU on Russia?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You going to form Germany? I forget if they get better ideas -- I do know that -50% gov cap on Prussia is really punitive when you get this large.

Also, did you get that PU on Russia?
He’s late 50s and no heir still, and way negative on the prestige, so it’s looking good. That AI russia did pretty fucking good expanding without my help other than it’s lost war against Poland.

The -50 gov cap is from the tier 1 Prussian government reform, so it stays with you even if you form Germany, which I can do now, and probably will soon. I have courthouses in literally every province and I just barely have everything stated.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like the new german ideas but I don't remember if they fixed events to still fire with the tag. I know they did for danes and swedes, of fucking course, but it's possible that as germany you still don't get tag=pru events. Something to keep in mind. It can suck as rome or italy etc too.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.png

Unfortunately Russia escaped the PU. Massacring the french currently. Think I'll form germany after this war and do what any respectable german country would do, backstab russia.

• 1Tiresome

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I take it you're playing with the latest expansions? How is the game now? I've heard that it has gone downhill the past 2 or so expansions. Would like to know if it's true.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I take it you're playing with the latest expansions? How is the game now? I've heard that it has gone downhill the past 2 or so expansions. Would like to know if it's true.
I think I have every expansion/dlc except the very newest swedish one. They broke some stuff with the expansions, so autists cried that the world was ending. Then they patched it. TBH, I think its fine. They generally made the early game slightly more difficult and took out some early game cheese, and nothing wrong with that. I'm not a mega fan of EU4 or anything. I just play it with my morning coffee to wake up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The expansion subscription worth it if you play this game only once in a while? Do you get access to the most recent...idk what to call it because it's not labeled as anything Steam. It's just "Europa Universalis: Lions of The North".

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I played Lions of the North for 20 hours, felt like I barely scratched the surface. However, I really enjoyed it.