Europa Universalis IV

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Figured out my first major mistake. Didn't take calais in the second war with england. The result was that when sweden declared independence from denmark, my armies were all penned in on the islands. I guess I could have asked for mil access, but didn't realize my mistake until the war was going. All my boats sunk yet again, and my grand plan of getting enough war score that I could snap up iceland failed utterly.

Got the expel minorities gov reform to try out since I think it's new? I'm gonna be one very scottish island soon. Crushed england in war 3. They only had 1k soldiers... Don't think I'll have England completely eliminated until war 5, though. Gonna go Explore>Aristocratic>Expansion>Offensive>Admin>Influence probably.

Can you form america as scottland? I might try it just for the lols.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Figured out my first major mistake. Didn't take calais in the second war with england. The result was that when sweden declared independence from denmark, my armies were all penned in on the islands. I guess I could have asked for mil access, but didn't realize my mistake until the war was going. All my boats sunk yet again, and my grand plan of getting enough war score that I could snap up iceland failed utterly.

Got the expel minorities gov reform to try out since I think it's new? I'm gonna be one very scottish island soon. Crushed england in war 3. They only had 1k soldiers... Don't think I'll have England completely eliminated until war 5, though. Gonna go Explore>Aristocratic>Expansion>Offensive>Admin>Influence probably.

Can you form america as scottland? I might try it just for the lols.

You still gonna play your Kilwa game or are you all in on Scotland?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You still gonna play your Kilwa game or are you all in on Scotland?
I have my work game and my at home game. I play both separate from each other. Been doing a lot of HOI4 between the two.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
And if you want to see embarrassing....
wooop3.jpg

Took this picture of a god tier move. Been stacking favors for just this moment. Put my heir on the throne of this S-Tier France. YES PLEASE.I'll PU you and ride you until you submit. Took the screeny for this thread and then got super distracted IRL for a couple hours and came back and resumed. Needless to say when I remembered, France had a 0 year heir. RIP.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I wasnt able to prevent the Prussian Confederation event firing off and thus I got raped. Game over. Will try again tomorrow

Definitely learning a lot 😡😡😡

Kaines

Potato Supreme
And if you want to see embarrassing....View attachment 462108
Took this picture of a god tier move. Been stacking favors for just this moment. Put my heir on the throne of this S-Tier France. YES PLEASE.I'll PU you and ride you until you submit. Took the screeny for this thread and then got super distracted IRL for a couple hours and came back and resumed. Needless to say when I remembered, France had a 0 year heir. RIP.
Be sure to go for Auld Alliance Reversed achievement.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Damn, reading this is making me want to play again. Goddamn time sink games.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Damn, reading this is making me want to play again. Goddamn time sink games.
And I'm back. Going to be fun relearning all these systems after a year or so away. Hopefully I've retained enough. Time to Deus Vult across the world with the Teutonic Order!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I wasnt able to prevent the Prussian Confederation event firing off and thus I got raped. Game over. Will try again tomorrow

Definitely learning a lot 😡😡😡
Yeah for that mission you really have to not give out any privileges with crown land and keep seizing land (I think it’s like 2 or 3 times so like 15 years) and once that missions is finished, then give out privileges that take crown land.

It’s kinda annoying and I’ve seen many casters/pros even screw this one up

Last edited:

DickTrickle

My first Teutonic Order campaign was a failure. Managed to get Austria and Hungary on my side, make the Livonian Order my vassal, and prevent the Prussian confederation. However, for the longest time Bohemia was allied to Poland/Lithuania. In the first war, Hungary wouldn't join so I only had myself, LO, and Austria against Pol/Lith/Bohemia and it just didn't end well. Managed to get Bohemia to break their alliance and give some money but the rest was a white peace. In the second war, Hungary and Austria joined with me but I guess our troops sucked because Poland/Lithuania destroyed us even though we had equivalent numbers.

I definitely need to do something different in the early game. I was hamstrung from strengthening myself because I couldn't attack anyone either because they were HRE or allied to Poland. Maybe next time I'll go north to Denmark/Sweden or a bit east to Novgorod and Muscovy.

Strangely enough, at one point, Poland dropped being my rival, so that was strange, though it didn't end up helping me at all since you're really incentivized to take them down ASAP given the mission tree.

In any case, it was good to get used to some of the systems again and I look forward to my second attempt.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Novgorod is super weak and can be conquered relatively easily. I think I made a mistake in my game taking the neva and Novgorod provinces early and preventing Russia from spawning. So let russia spawn or plan on working some colonial in if you don’t want map blight. Burgundy is always a strong ally if you’re in Europe. It might take a minute for their armies to show up, and they may be reluctant to get called into a war are the biggest downsides.

Gotland can be a good vassal to feed if they go pirate, or just an easy conquest. Always keep an eye out for when the emperor goes into a war or if they have HRE rivals. That can lead to opportunities to snap up land in the HRE, though it’s rarely worth taking more than two or three claimed provinces.

Finally, some tricks I’ve used. If I plan on using mercs to win a war, sometimes I just delete my army. It’ll make the AI much more likely to attack you, though make sure your forts can hold them off a few months, so bust out defensive edicts. And don’t be afraid to go into a lot of debt early on. Winning your first war against Poland is everything for the Teutons. If Lithuania is not in a PU, see if you can charge in and white peace them by taking the capital. Danzig and konigsberg are both super valuable provinces that you should get faceting in asap, so you’ll dig your way out of a hole eventually.

DickTrickle

Yeah, I wasn't able to fight when the truce ended (was outnumbered 3 to 1). That seems pretty crucial.

A big problem was Bohemia flipped on me. We were allies and I had five favor then they broke and allied with Poland before the truce was up. I wasn't paying enough attention to understand why, but that was a lot of wasted effort.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I wasn't able to fight when the truce ended (was outnumbered 3 to 1). That seems pretty crucial.

A big problem was Bohemia flipped on me. We were allies and I had five favor then they broke and allied with Poland before the truce was up. I wasn't paying enough attention to understand why, but that was a lot of wasted effort.
It’s likely because you had Austria as an ally. Bohemia and Austria tend to hate each other, so it’s a good idea to ally one or the other. I loaded a game up, and Austria is rivaled by burgundy. So If I were going to play this game id get relations up with Austria for the quest. But then I’d ally Bohemia, and aim to ally burgundy. Hungary is a solid fourth always.

If burgundy wasn’t rivaling Austria, I’d probably aim for Austria over Bohemia. Always check rivalries when considering allies. It’s the same thing if Poland allies someone. Even if you break that alliance, don’t expect them to suddenly become your reliable ally against Poland. They’ll still have a high opinion of Poland and a bad opinion of you, so they probably won’t even join a defensive war.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah for that mission you really have to not give out any privileges with crown land keep seizing land (I think it’s like 2 or 3 times so like 15 years) and once that missions is finished, then give out privileges that take crown land.

It’s kinda annoying and I’ve seen many casters/pros even screw this one up

I finally got through all that, and got the opening moves nailed down to beat Poland and Lithuania. Played it again yesterday. Got to the 1490s and by then I annexed almost all of Poland and Lithuania. Started to prepare for a push against Novgorod and Muscovy and got blindsided with this "coalition" that Austria and a bunch of other HRE goons put together

1678361114001.png

I'm out numbered by more than 3 to 1. I'm kinda broke, have 0 manpower and still need 10K at least to replenish existing units and my other allies bailed on me. Sweden was the only who showed up.

So I'm thinking, eh, its a "show your superiority" war goal, maybe it won't be so bad. I do the "suggest offer" thing to see what they want because I figure I'll just throw in the towel rather than waste resources fighting for years just to lose anyways.... they want me to give 8 provinces back to Poland, release Mazovia as a state (another 4 provinces), release Danzig as a state (where I basically make my money) and then release Krakow as a state which is another big money maker

1678361693422.png

Dont know whether I should keep trying to play this, or will this set me far back enough that I wont be able to do a WC. I can eat the province losses for the most part and get them back later, but losing Danzig fucks me permanently. My income will be crippled and Danzig will probably join HRE right away as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

On my second attempt with TO, things went a lot smoother. I was able to keep Bohemia and Hungary allies and attacked Poland before they PU'd LIthuania, then peaced them out separately and with an alliance break, so the second war also went smoothly.

Things were going okay until I got called into a war against Brandenburg for Bohemia. I agreed because it looked like a pretty easy win for us. It started and was going fine and then my Poland truce expired and they were weak -- 23k rebels and little manpower so I brought in Hungary to fight against them. Still going great.... until Hungary gets invaded by the Ottomans and call me for help. I agree under the thought that they'll chew up Hungary and I'll be able to peace out unscathed, which I am able to do eventually, but it was hectic getting there. I'm in a lot of debt right now and Muscovey is becoming a beast that I'm not sure I will be able to stop or go up against. My manpower is depleted, too. This is going to be tricky going forward.

One thing that sucked in this game is the Livonian Order didn't accept the PU and eventually got their shit pushed in.

1678373464856.png

Last edited:

DickTrickle

I finally got through all that, and got the opening moves nailed down to beat Poland and Lithuania. Played it again yesterday. Got to the 1490s and by then I annexed almost all of Poland and Lithuania. Started to prepare for a push against Novgorod and Muscovy and got blindsided with this "coalition" that Austria and a bunch of other HRE goons put together

View attachment 462288

I'm out numbered by more than 3 to 1. I'm kinda broke, have 0 manpower and still need 10K at least to replenish existing units and my other allies bailed on me. Sweden was the only who showed up.

So I'm thinking, eh, its a "show your superiority" war goal, maybe it won't be so bad. I do the "suggest offer" thing to see what they want because I figure I'll just throw in the towel rather than waste resources fighting for years just to lose anyways.... they want me to give 8 provinces back to Poland, release Mazovia as a state (another 4 provinces), release Danzig as a state (where I basically make my money) and then release Krakow as a state which is another big money maker

View attachment 462289

Dont know whether I should keep trying to play this, or will this set me far back enough that I wont be able to do a WC. I can eat the province losses for the most part and get them back later, but losing Danzig fucks me permanently. My income will be crippled and Danzig will probably join HRE right away as well.
If your goal is WC, this seems like a tall ask. By the time you recover from this, Muscovey will be all that much stronger. Have you tried manually changing what you given them, see if you can give them an offer they still like but doesn't hurt you as much? Maybe you can give away some different land or other actions (break alliances, give access, reparations, etc).

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If your goal is WC, this seems like a tall ask. By the time you recover from this, Muscovey will be all that much stronger. Have you tried manually changing what you given them, see if you can give them an offer they still like but doesn't hurt you as much? Maybe you can give away some different land or other actions (break alliances, give access, reparations, etc).

Yeah I dicked around with all the offer options, but they are very upset about my expansion, hence the coalition. The only thing they will accept is me surrendering provinces.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
WC is about riding -3 stability while truce breaking everyone once you hit the too powerful to stop phase. It takes a lot longer to hit that point in the HRE than in some ass end of the planet because of coalitions, which is yet another reason why people tend to recommend Oirat or other eastern hordes for WC.

Ottomans are a monster at mil tech level 5-7 or so. Do not ever fight them at that tech unless you outnumber hugely or they are otherwise crippled. That's the main reason a lot of the strategies of dismantling the ottos early involve rushing in to fight them once you hit tech 4.

DickTrickle

Austria has vassalized Bohemia and Hungary and they love me and owe a ton of favors. Things are going my way unless they betray me (they do want some of my lands, unfortunately).

Force limit up to 31 now so can field a decent force. Making about 10 ducats a month in peacetime, too. After I finish Poland, Muscovy better watch out as long as Austria joins.

I suppose the ottomans could end up putting a wrench into my plans if they take on Austria.