EVE Online

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
CCP is building a monument to EVE players in Reykjavik. It's going to have all main characters' names etched onto it as well.

http://eve.com/monument

rrr_img_59315.jpg
God there are going to be a lot of fucked up names on that thing!

Chris

Potato del Grande
If what you're trying to do is sneak up on people PVEing, then may I suggest using a stealth bomber to hunt people doing nullsec exploration? I lost my first cheetah to an SB. I'm risk adverse (especially with a 500+mil cargo), so I stopped running sites with people in local. However, a clever SB could scan out all the Relic sites in an area and bookmark them all. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most explorers probably continue to hack but with caution when people enter system since they're expecting to see probes as their last chance to get out. If you already have the BM for the site hes in, then hes fucked. You will warp in and engage at 2km as he hacks a can.
Thanks for the suggestion, I would like to try that.

What is holding me back from that is that in doing nullsec exploration myself I never came across a single pilot other than the occasional gate camp.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Decided to reactivate my account and as always I keep staring at my skill list and spend hours reading shit on the forums trying to decide on something to do.

I'm thinking factional warfare or wormholes. I'm not interested in flying anything bigger than a battlecruiser or a speedy battleship.

My skill list (still got 2 mil extra SP from the learning refund) :eveboard - Hali Ekel

My standings :

Sythe_sl

shitlord
Decided to reactivate my account and as always I keep staring at my skill list and spend hours reading shit on the forums trying to decide on something to do.

I'm thinking factional warfare or wormholes. I'm not interested in flying anything bigger than a battlecruiser or a speedy battleship.

My skill list (still got 2 mil extra SP from the learning refund) :eveboard - Hali Ekel

My standings :
Join brave!! LOL We have a ton of stuff to do!

Brave Newbies - We are here to help! - YouTubeIs a must watch!

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
For the people coming back or about to start, make sure you join the in-game chat channel "FOH". I have been the 60 trials person, but what finally got me to stick with it and enjoy it was the people in the FOH channel. Everyone is extremely helpful. If you can't get a question answered or the channel is quiet, just hollar on this forum and we can help you out. In August I will have been playing for two years. I have been in a wormhole with Kadm and Flamm - I cannot speak enough on how great these two guys are for putting up with me and showing me another part of the game.

Sythe_sl

shitlord
For the people coming back or about to start, make sure you join the in-game chat channel "FOH". I have been the 60 trials person, but what finally got me to stick with it and enjoy it was the people in the FOH channel. Everyone is extremely helpful. If you can't get a question answered or the channel is quiet, just hollar on this forum and we can help you out. In August I will have been playing for two years. I have been in a wormhole with Kadm and Flamm - I cannot speak enough on how great these two guys are for putting up with me and showing me another part of the game.
What not even going to say how you and flamm were in my corp at first!?!? no credit.
frown.png
Haha nah i love you both.

Chris

Potato del Grande
After trying a few things I think that I'm going to go for lv4 missions.

Exactly how skilled will I need to be to pilot a Battleship (probally Raven)? I can get Mastery 3 in a few days and have 10m skillpoints in Caldari Ships (Rockets and Shields, not Turrets), though some are in Exploration. I'm not sure how slowly you get Battleship levels, these may be low for a while.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All basic skills (those that apply to every ship you fly) should be 4, though 5 is better. You'll also need pretty good drone skills to deal with the elite frigs that will WS you - it's really the only way you can die in missions.

Unless they've been nerfed, they aren't something you should take lightly. Mind you only a handful of them are dangerous, but the ones that are, really are (for a newer player).

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As of a few months ago the L4's can still get you if you don't know what you're doing, or are under skilled. I slacked on my drone skills when I took my first arty Maelstrom out to do a few L4's solo and lost it in my fourth run because I couldn't kill the 4-5 frigate spawns that were scrambling me fast enough. Rookie mistake that was easily avoidable by having better skills and better knowledge of the encounter.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have the core skills at 5, only capacitors and advanced weapons upgrades not at 5. Missile/Shield/Navigation skills are at 3, 4 or 5. Drone skills are at 0. Battleship skills are at 0.

I'm doing lv2s in a Navy Frigate at the moment. Would I be better off buying a Battlecruiser (Drake) and running lv3s to get some combat exp and train skills? It's exactly the same skills for Battlecruisers and Battleships other than the ship specific one. I kinda wanted to skip that step to save some money but it sounds like drone skills are going to be a problem.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's the regular progression. You can always sell your battlecruiser and is components later on when you're done with it.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What he ^ said. Drones are imperative to doing the harder L4s. Besides, having a Drake handy is always nice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
My experience has been that PvE is flying spaceships around blowing things up, PvP is waiting and doing nothing.

I really don't have enough life to commit to turning up at a set time then waiting on Teamspeak for the Corp leader/his girlfriend who are late. Like I tried it over two weeks last year and the one time I went to a bar with IRL friends instead, they accidentally started the Battle of Asakai.

Noshitdude

Lord Nagafen Raider
My experience has been that PvE is flying spaceships around blowing things up, PvP is waiting and doing nothing.

I really don't have enough life to commit to turning up at a set time then waiting on Teamspeak for the Corp leader/his girlfriend who are late. Like I tried it over two weeks last year and the one time I went to a bar with IRL friends instead, they accidentally started the Battle of Asakai.
Exploration in low sec or null sec is what you are looking for really. With exploration you actually DO SOMETHING when you log in, and really those L4s are the most boring PVE i ever saw in a game.

I don't get your "pvp is waiting and doing nothing" tbh, sure it's the case when you're camping a gate or playing dock games, but if you fly a frigate hull (frigates, inties, assault, etc) and go roam a FW zone, there's plenty of PVP to have. You or your corp didn't join FW ? Who cares really, just go flashy, it's so easy now to recover from the security status loss. I don't remember doing more than 12 jumps without having some pvp using that method. If that's too long for you, fit a BS, go on a solo roam ... I'm fairly certain PVP will happen quite fast.
In fact people shout for PVP ( or its lack of ) when the only thing they want is to win, thus they always place themselves in a position where waiting is a key factor. I recommand downloading and watching first KIL2 vids, iirc it was called genesis : sure the fittings and combat rules were a bit different, but the spirit of that vid is what PVP should be. Does he always win ? No, and far from it.

You want fun ? leave your fleet, and don't mind the isk loss.