EVE Online

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This was posted in the WoD thread, but it's as much about Eve as it is WoD.

World of Darkness - the inside story on the death of a game | Technology | theguardian.com

My favorite part, for those who remember the uproar of the micro-transactions and the leaked email where the CEO basically said fuck the players, and the 5-8% drop in subs over the drama:

Eventually CEO Hilmar Veigar P?tursson issued an apology to the players. But even this short appeasement wasn?t what it seemed; according to Blood, Petursson didn?t actually write it.

?He had members of our storyline team ? a group responsible for writing in-game content and fiction ? put it together,? he says. ?He was either so out of touch, so arrogant, or perhaps both, that he couldn?t find the words to say himself. They bailed him out big time.?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The two-month pilot phase of the Recall Program is now over and it?s time to start looking into how it fared. Based on the great feedback we?ve received thus far we?d like to bring it back again later in the year, possibly even making it a permanent fixture in the EVE Universe ? but for right now it is on hold while we evaluate. Look forward to more information on the Recall Program in the coming weeks.
Might have to wait a bit it seems.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was posted in the WoD thread, but it's as much about Eve as it is WoD.

World of Darkness - the inside story on the death of a game | Technology | theguardian.com

My favorite part, for those who remember the uproar of the micro-transactions and the leaked email where the CEO basically said fuck the players, and the 5-8% drop in subs over the drama:
Sounds like CCP has gone back to just focusing on Eve, since they mismanaged the fuck outta all their side projects. Early in the article it stated that the game was in development for nine years, but I bet they only got to work on WoD half the time since they were often redirected to Eve projects.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Had an itch for space gaming. Burned out on Star Trek OL and SWToR. So downloading this now for the 14 day free trial.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Had an itch for space gaming. Burned out on Star Trek OL and SWToR. So downloading this now for the 14 day free trial.
lol

I love when 'random gamer 3829' discovers Eve. Someone grab the popcorn, this gonna be goooood....

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I have known about Eve since it's Beta days in 2002/2003. Just never felt like playing it till now. Have seen it played at friends houses over the years, so it's not alien. Just over the last 3-4 years I have given up on too many subscription based games to want to dive into one that does not have a way to be free to play or at least semi free to play as this can be it seems.

After looking at everything out there since the start of July, looks like nothing interesting is coming out this year or next year so I am in try new to me stuff mode of the next 18 months or so.

Seems fine so far but I have only done 2 ten part tutorials. I am sure once I get any where near pvp space I will be ripped apart over and over again.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You should go get into PvP as soon as you've finished the tutorial, if not before. There are some noob centric places like Eve U or you can find a real nullsec sovereignty holder. PvP is way more fun than most missions. A friend told me goons have been recruiting noobs recently.

OneofOne

Stay away from Goonswarm. It's like someone gathered up all the retards, assholes, thieves, and garbage of Eve, and put them in one Corp.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You should go get into PvP as soon as you've finished the tutorial, if not before. There are some noob centric places like Eve U or you can find a real nullsec sovereignty holder. PvP is way more fun than most missions. A friend told me goons have been recruiting noobs recently.
This. I ground my way through missions 2-boxing and I ended up so burnt out that I wanted to dive into a chipper-shredder head first.

Stay away from Goonswarm. It's like someone gathered up all the retards, assholes, thieves, and garbage of Eve, and put them in one Corp.
Kind of sounds like FOH/Rerolled, lol

Kadmoran_sl

shitlord
Being in Goonswarm is nothing like this. Being on the receiving end of Goonswarm is everything like this. As a corp/alliance on the inside, it's just like any other. People in other corps/alliances get hurt because they engage in the game very well.

I enjoyed my time in Goonswarm, though I'll admit that the last year I was in it, I was mostly burned out and only stayed for drama-mongering on the forums. 0.0 is in a shitty state right now though, and the best thing you can do for yourself is avoid it like the plague.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That's so sad, considering that watching the 0.0 drama and conflict used to be the best part of EVE

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Allegedly EVE's numbers are performing poorly. I think the only reason it's maintaining its current sub count is due to lack of competition, but the next wave of sci-fi MMOs doesn't look that promising to me.

OneofOne

Being in Goonswarm is nothing like this. Being on the receiving end of Goonswarm is everything like this
I've fought against them and later on besides them (fuckin' 0.0 politics) and the experience was largely the same. Just because the assholes are nice to each other, doesn't make them any less of assholes. Gypsies are cool with each other too, but if you're not one, everything you own is theirs and you're just holding on to it for them.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Another Goonswarm hater. Personally, I don't hate Goonswarm, just wouldn't want to be assosiated with someone who went Zergforce 1 to be able to stand a chance in the Universe.