EVE: Valkyrie

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you guys really want the space in a sim to be equal to space... Freelancer was extremely condensed. As in, you could fly around a planet in a few minutes, lol.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I'm really fucking hoping that the size of space is equal to, you know, space.

If they make some small ass maps it's going to be highly disappointing. I keep dreaming of lying in wait, adrift in an asteroid field, just waiting for some unlucky asshole to cruise by.
The likelihood of you actually seeing anyone if the size of space is equal to, you know, space is fairly small, I hope you realize. Even if everyone on earth was playing the game. But 45 trillion years from now when you do happen to get the jump on some unlucky asshole who decided to go check out, you know just to chill or see what's up, on the other side OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb's 4th most distant moon, then it will all have been worth it. They should probably rename the game to "Patience wins the Race: VR".

That being said I do also hope this will not be TF2 in space, size wise.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_41271.jpg

nuff said

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Well how about the size of space is relative to the amount of people on the server, basically what I don't want is some CoD sized maps.

I don't know how large EVE's map size is but would it be out of the question to have something that big?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, iirc in even some of the smaller systems it would take weeks (in real time) to fly at non-warp speed across them from end to end. Not that it matters since 99.999% of that space is empty. The size of systems only matters if POI's (gates, planets, asteroid belts, exploration sites, etc) actually span across that distance such that it makes 1) warp necessary and 2) travel time matter.

So the question for this game would be, do you even warp places or is everything local? For instance, will a zone contain more than 1 POI, and if so, will they be far enough away that travel time matters (esp if ships warp at different speeds as in Eve)? And is it a persistent world in which you freely travel from zone to zone (or POI to POI), or simply an old school load-a-map game?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So is there a chance of integrating this into EVE like they planned for Dust? I want to make a trench run across the surface of a titan to blow it up without nav computer
smile.png

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Well, iirc in even some of the smaller systems it would take weeks (in real time) to fly at non-warp speed across them from end to end. Not that it matters since 99.999% of that space is empty. The size of systems only matters if POI's (gates, planets, asteroid belts, exploration sites, etc) actually span across that distance such that it makes 1) warp necessary and 2) travel time matter.

So the question for this game would be, do you even warp places or is everything local? For instance, will a zone contain more than 1 POI, and if so, will they be far enough away that travel time matters (esp if ships warp at different speeds as in Eve)? And is it a persistent world in which you freely travel from zone to zone (or POI to POI), or simply an old school load-a-map game?
Is Valkyrie supposed to be more than a cool space combat sim? How do you have a large world if the game is 100% combat? I think maybe I have the wrong idea about what kind of game Valkyrie is supposed to be.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's not known what Valkyrie is going to be but imo the only way you get huge spaces with it is if it's integrated with eve post-release.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's pretty big news. We knew that EVE would work very well with the Rift but to make it exclusive means they can disregard all other considerations and focus the experience on the rift. Hopefully things wil come together and really set the bar for a space combat simulation with VR.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I just hope they don't fuck it up by demanding it interact directly with the Eve servers. Just let it be a stand alone game please!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How could it NOT be a stand alone game? I can't possibly see how you'd integrate an idea like Valkyrie (a flight sim) with Eve (lock on and fire your weps). I mean, unless you do it as an add-on like DUST514, and make zones that only allow single pilot ships for some unexplicable reason.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They've talked about many different ways to integrate it with EVE servers. I don't think they've ever talked about integration in the way you're afraid of though (replacing parts of EVE Online's combat with some kind of Valkyrie combat). I think they'll have a standalone version + an online version that integrates with EVE Online from a monetary or character stats perspective. It's all up in the air though, especially now that Oculus is co-publishing it. All we know for sure is that their demo is pretty incredible.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think you guys really want the space in a sim to be equal to space... Freelancer was extremely condensed. As in, you could fly around a planet in a few minutes, lol.
If you want to play a game where space is space-sized hopefully it'll be single player.

Because if it's multi player you will NEVER see another player.

The moon is way high up there, yo.

This thread pains my inner luddite. If they make this and it's not horrible, does this mean I have to buy some VR nerd glasses?