Event Horizon (1997)

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I saw The Fly when I was six, it did me no favors.

On topic though, Event Horizon is very entertaining. I also recommend In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neil also, as someone else already recommended it. Different vibe since it's more Lovecraftian.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I saw The Fly when I was six, it did me no favors.

On topic though, Event Horizon is very entertaining. I also recommend In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neil also, as someone else already recommended it. Different vibe since it's more Lovecraftian.
Oh yes the Fly. Saw it when I was 7-8.Another movie that made me afraid, but in this case, of arm wrestling for years. Lol

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love this movie as well. The fact that Paul WS Anderson made a film that's this rewatchable is a minor miracle. Wish we could have gotten an unrated version, there was a lot more gore and disturbing images in the cut reel.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The fact that Paul WS Anderson made a film that's this rewatchable is a minor miracle.
I think it all comes down to the great visual style. Its not at all what you think when you think of portal jumping star ships. More akin to some gothic church.

Another movie to check out is Silent Hill. Average movie but if you want some other worldly horror that takes you into other dimensions with demons cleaving people in half, then thats exactly what it is. Dont watch the sequel though, that movie is just bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

this gave me nightmares, had to been like 7
I don't know about nightmares.. but yeah, that movie certainly gave me the hebe jebees around showerheads, etc for a long time.

Phase IV is another one that fucked me up a bit.
ants colonize people, and turn them into human anthills, and control them.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looking at Sam Neill crawling down the ladder, I wonder if Event Horizon inspired the Muramite legion in Everquest. Sam Neill looks a lot like an Ukun there.

I think the Kyv (archers) were inspired by Reavers from Firefly. But yeah, I think the other Muramite designs probably got something from Event Horizon and if so that's pretty cool. They're all blind demonic people from a hell-dimension after all.

In other news I made a list of new things to check out: Lifeforce, Soldier (Kurt Russell), Prospect (2018), Source Code, Pitch Black, Last Days on Mars, Galaxy of Terror, Color out of Space, Silent Hill. Also gonna check out Season 2 of the new War of the Worlds series and see if it's any good, maybe revisit the 1990 WOTW show instead if not.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Freddie’s face kept me from wanting to eat Arbys for years because I saw his face in every Roast Beef sandwich.

Now I see something completely different and come to think of it gross

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What are we taking about? Movies that gave us nightmares for weeks as kids?

It's Alive (the GD baby creature and the sounds it made)
and one probably none of you have ever seen:

THE BOOGENS

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Has anyone thrown Iron Sky out there yet?

MV5BYzY5OGYzZjEtYmJmMi00MjhkLWFiZjktZTQwNTJiYjQzOGUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA4NjE0NjEy._V1_.jpg
Thank you! Unsure how I never heard of this 10 years ago, but it was a painful watch that I enjoyed. That sounds crazy, I know, but this movie was about on par with that too and yet it was... fun. The best crappy movie I never saw! That is Iron Sky :)

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
They've been mentioned before, but I'd like to highlight a few anyways:

2001: A Space Oddesy is a classic in this genre, and it's sequel, 2010, while not as good is still worth the watch if you watched the first one.
Europa is a pretty decent low-budget indy sci-fi flick.
I'd also recommend Solaris - the original USSR version. Haven't seen the US remake.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 396301
i saw that when i was 11 with my parents at a drive-in. giant worm rape stays with you

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't James Cameron either influence or get a lot of influence from this movie? I remember there being something really important about Galaxy of Terror but I don't know what. I'm gonna watch it later, for the first time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't James Cameron either influence or get a lot of influence from this movie? I remember there being something really important about Galaxy of Terror but I don't know what. I'm gonna watch it later, for the first time.

Watching the movie now on that Youtube link and I can answer my own question: It's from 1981 which pre-dates all of Cameron's big movies, so he probably got inspiration from it. The opening shot looks VERY Terminator-esque and the first few scenes remind me heavily of Aliens, from the boardroom meeting to the soldiers getting picked off in the refinery while they wear spotlights on their shoulders.

Cameron is known for being pretty derivative. He got a lot from Harlan Ellison's stories like the sentient AI destroying humanity (IHNMAIMS) and soldiers being sent back to stop it (Outer Limits). If you watch the episode "Soldier" of that show, the opening shot looks pretty much 1:1 with the future war shot at the beginning of Terminator, and then two soldiers get sent back in time to fight in the present.

Oh yeah, and Avatar is one big ripoff of Dances With Wolves.

Edit: Apparently Cameron worked on Galaxy of Terror as well, that must be what I was thinking of before. He isn't in the first bit of the credits so it was likely a minor role, then he took the ideas with him elsewhere.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
1644804274918.png

Which is kinda funny anyway because all Harlan Ellison wanted was to get paid for his shit. It's not like he wouldn't play ball so you went ahead without him and got sued etc etc. All James Cameron needed to do was cut him a check and given the time period not all that big a one.

I love this grumpy old fuck so much.

• 1Like
  • 1Wow!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users