Everquest - 20th Anniversary TLP

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
"Competition" is what you make it at this point with AoC's. Anyone can have anything so while mobilizing to fight over open world spawns is definitely the most competitive option.. I personally enjoyed figuring out ways to do the AoCs with less. DEF not going to be a popular statement on this forum but playing on whatever the F version of the progression servers it was with OGC was some of the more fun I've had in EQ since the good ole days of actual world firsts with FoH. Doing that stuff with smaller splits not only served to maximize uncontested loot but also presented a potentially "actually challenging" gameplay.

We did the same things in AoS but our focus just like Dimas was first to finish an expac. Not sure if you were there for GoD or OOW but it was close as hell, some of them felt like seconds. When we won GoD we actually were behind and not even in Tacvi, Dima had skipped High Priest and the keying and made the race competitive. No one even cared he skipped an hour of raids, we were happy for it to be so fucking close.

Huge plus in smaller groups is that you dont have that ONE redneck or nasaly sounding virgin that every EQ guild has that has to talk every raid in Teamspeak.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
Smaller raid sizes in general are better and make MMOs better, just isn't a viable approach in early EQ on the TLPs anyway. Tolerating the early TLP crowd is one of the hardest things about a TLP (the game itself is a joke.) I think a lot of people who peace out in the early expansions would actually like GoD/Omens, 54 man raids so you actually get to start to make a real guild and kind of how you want it to be. But I also think a huge % of the early expac guys are in it for krono purely anyway, so they won't stay on any TLP past the eras where it's easy to make. Like compared to more modern games GoD/Omens aren't anything special, but having done them recently I actually think they're better done content than anything Classic-->PoP in EQ.

Cupie12

Send Tits Pls
Smaller raid sizes in general are better and make MMOs better, just isn't a viable approach in early EQ on the TLPs anyway. Tolerating the early TLP crowd is one of the hardest things about a TLP (the game itself is a joke.) I think a lot of people who peace out in the early expansions would actually like GoD/Omens, 54 man raids so you actually get to start to make a real guild and kind of how you want it to be. But I also think a huge % of the early expac guys are in it for krono purely anyway, so they won't stay on any TLP past the eras where it's easy to make. Like compared to more modern games GoD/Omens aren't anything special, but having done them recently I actually think they're better done content than anything Classic-->PoP in EQ.

most guilds quit in classic-luclin because they cant get any open world targets and keep all of their mouths fed.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
We did the same things in AoS but our focus just like Dimas was first to finish an expac. Not sure if you were there for GoD or OOW but it was close as hell, some of them felt like seconds. When we won GoD we actually were behind and not even in Tacvi, Dima had skipped High Priest and the keying and made the race competitive. No one even cared he skipped an hour of raids, we were happy for it to be so fucking close.

Huge plus in smaller groups is that you dont have that ONE redneck or nasaly sounding virgin that every EQ guild has that has to talk every raid in Teamspeak.

Yea I was gone by then, I doin't think I've ever made it past Velious in one of these things, not so much because I plan on or want to quit at that point but moreso life always tends to happen before then. I actually would very much like to see one of these servers through if everything somehow aligned where I could (it's actually kind of looking like I may be getting assigned to a different client at work which will involve significantly more travel=EQ time so we'll see)

In regards to the 6mages killing anything without MoTM I guess I hadn't really thought all that through with that in mind I guess I'm not asking for no MoTM maybe just a reduced version, idk. Honestly it's not like stuff's hard with it anyway just trying to think through the whole casual server aspect, and I don't think decreased lockouts makes a server casual, if anything that would be the opposite as at least for me when i hear casual my thought is basically "able to accomplish things with limited time".

Either way I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what develops with these servers and if my personal schedule somehow allows I'll without a doubt be slaying dragons with some of you on one of them.

• 1Like

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also i guess i technically sound like a redneck....but I generally never talk in teamspeak unless I'm stuck running shit haha

• 1Solidarity

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They can drop MoTM but keep Mark of the Old Ways so that raid mobs ignore pets. If they continue to scale back skill caps and innate AA it will make it even more feasible.

I was still a teenager when I made Faceless on Vulak. I had no crew, no plan, and no idea what it meant to compete. Of course we got stomped.

Just remember that any time someone talks about beating me on Vulak its an old man reminiscing about the time he beat a teenager at a video game ten years ago.

If you weren't Damdor or some officer you probably just picked the top guild and pressed two buttons when you were told. I respect the guild leaders who beat me, not the warm bodies.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Mark of the old ways is shit. Just balance pets or at least drop the agro transfer. I hated how mechanically different mages were on Agnarr from live back in the day.

/old man rant

Sterling

El Presidente
Mark of the old ways is shit. Just balance pets or at least drop the agro transfer. I hated how mechanically different mages were on Agnarr from live back in the day.

/old man rant
problem is classic raid mobs are just pure trash with combat tables, spells and all the other various upgrades that have happened over the years. even on the casual server there needs to be something in place otherwise there really aren't any raids since everything is one groupable. People are killing Naggy and Vox in OMM missions with 3 or 4 characters, it's retarded.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
They can drop MoTM but keep Mark of the Old Ways so that raid mobs ignore pets. If they continue to scale back skill caps and innate AA it will make it even more feasible.

I was still a teenager when I made Faceless on Vulak. I had no crew, no plan, and no idea what it meant to compete. Of course we got stomped.

Just remember that any time someone talks about beating me on Vulak its an old man reminiscing about the time he beat a teenager at a video game ten years ago.

If you weren't Damdor or some officer you probably just picked the top guild and pressed two buttons when you were told. I respect the guild leaders who beat me, not the warm bodies.

Siirx is leading the new team along with Thraka, Drillisen, G Grisvok and the others so you'll be able head to head again as an adult now finally. I know they are super excited from what I read in Discord to finally be on your server.

We need to sell PPV tickets to the server both guilds goto on opening night for the race and then raiding.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Siirx is leading the new team along with Thraka, Drillisen, G Grisvok and the others so you'll be able head to head again as an adult now finally. I know they are super excited from what I read in Discord to finally be on your server.

We need to sell PPV tickets to the server both guilds goto on opening night for the race and then raiding.

I saw in the post the guild was a collection of aos/tl/ri/some citizen? Was siirx part of RI? I don’t think I ever really knew him. Is Mabbu in on this one?

Rest of that core I know, is nice to see a few familiar faces :)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I saw in the post the guild was a collection of aos/tl/ri/some citizen? Was siirx part of RI? I don’t think I ever really knew him. Is Mabbu in on this one?

Rest of that core I know, is nice to see a few familiar faces :)

Siirx has played on a few servers with us and raid led in AoS. Not to the extent Tyree and I did but he for sure was involved in our leadership and planning. Siirx is really good friends with the old TL officers Drillisen, Dannin, Webin, Xera and runs wherever they do if that helps you remember him, he was a necro. Mabbu and Rumz are from RI so you might not know them, we only recently on Coirnav became friends with them.

Skykam in there is awesome, him and Grisvok alone are going to make this TLP one to remember.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Rumz is great, a very good opposite of mabbu when it comes to being a leader. More of the calm, friendly, laid back person.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I've been interested in these TLP servers for awhile, but I was just too busy to play on them until this year. Question for you guys who have played n a few of these already. If I want to play at a kind of medium intensity will that work for these servers? I'm not interested in boxing, I only want to play one character at a time. My favorite stuff in EQ was always single group dungeon runs. My thought is that a TLP server with accelerated unlocks will keep that from getting stale since new stuff will continually be opened up. I do want to raid some, but it wouldn't be my main focus.

Does there tend to be a big enough community to support this play style on these servers, or is it pretty much hardcore raid or go home?

I still need to decide if I'm willing to fight with the antiquated interface, but my EQ memories are so good that I'd love to go back and relive some of it...I think.

Sterling

El Presidente
I've been interested in these TLP servers for awhile, but I was just too busy to play on them until this year. Question for you guys who have played n a few of these already. If I want to play at a kind of medium intensity will that work for these servers? I'm not interested in boxing, I only want to play one character at a time. My favorite stuff in EQ was always single group dungeon runs. My thought is that a TLP server with accelerated unlocks will keep that from getting stale since new stuff will continually be opened up. I do want to raid some, but it wouldn't be my main focus.

Does there tend to be a big enough community to support this play style on these servers, or is it pretty much hardcore raid or go home?

I still need to decide if I'm willing to fight with the antiquated interface, but my EQ memories are so good that I'd love to go back and relive some of it...I think.
Yes you can play just a single character and mostly group just fine, going in to classic if you play a chanter, healer or tank it shouldn't be too hard to find a group if you go the pug route. If you choose a dps class though you might end up spending a lot of time lfg. Also with AoCs likely, you can just find a guild that raids on a schedule that fits for you. There will be guilds with all kinds of schedules.

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
most guilds quit in classic-luclin because they cant get any open world targets and keep all of their mouths fed.

Right which is why I doubt you’ll see non-AoC servers again, Phinny made them way more money than Fippy/Vulak.

Ragefire/LJ were popular at the time without AoCs but they were just leaving Classic when Phinny launched so not sure how they’d have done if that didn’t happen.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
i think phinigel was popular not mainly cause of the AOCs but because it was the "first" server without boxers or MQ2. Of course I know that wasnt true, but for the masses it was and gave them new hope. Now people know true box is BS.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
i think phinigel was popular not mainly cause of the AOCs but because it was the "first" server without boxers or MQ2. Of course I know that wasnt true, but for the masses it was and gave them new hope. Now people know true box is BS.

I think it was the AOC's 100% that made it popular. Think of the amount of raid guilds that got absolutely 0 raid loot on Ragefire and we got raced on 95% of raids. We lost 2 DPS races in all of Ragefire and it was Rosengard / Bonlgon the homie doing some really smart and cool shit to catch us with our pants down.

Can you imagine no AOCs and being in the 2nd place or whatever guild and getting 0 raid loot every expansion? Fun for us to bully but not so fun for the community or health of the game.

• 1Like