Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
It occurred to me that DBG is missing an opportunity being so hands off, and it all revolves around krono. It's one thing to permaban an account that is being funded via CC where the customer can do a charge back. But when an account is being funded by krono, what recourse do you have? Really surprised they haven't been more aggressive tracking reported accounts and their krono transactions and banning the accounts holding the krono in hand. That's just sold krono back in their pockets. Of course a smart krono farmer would spread their krono across accounts and try to turn them over quickly I would think.

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
All MMOs have historically had to strike a fine line on RMT. They know there's no way to get rid of it completely, like the WoW Token is basically RMT proof because you can't trade it directly with other players, but there are still RMTers in WoW who sell gold, accounts, and even RMT crews who offer to run your character through a raid for $70 and give you all the loot.

The Daybreak Krono is particularly RMT-suited, almost hard to believe not by design. At the same time, each individual Krono has an ID and is fully trackable, they could very easily ban every single Krono purchaser affiliated with a big Krono seller anytime they ban said sellers, but then you get into the business realities involved. Some of those people buying $10 Krono on Redguides probably buy Daybreak Cash, probably have bought/may buy legitimate $18 Kronos in the future, may have some All Access accounts, may buy the EQ expansions when they come out etc etc.

AFK playing has been tolerated for a long time, but it's definitely not tolerated any longer. Some dozens of players have reported being banned on live in the past month for AFK play (which is insanely unheard of, there are box crews that have ran automated for years on my live server that were never so much as hassled once), and I know personally a half dozen people on Agnarr who have been banned for it in the last month, in addition to some of the big bans like Theking/Besteva etc.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I doubt he does, not because he couldn't get one working but b/c he wouldn't want to screw EQMule over by doing it, and I don't think he's an AFK TLP RMTer.

That's the big issue. On Ragefire/LJ MQ2 was tolerated but not AFK farming, yet some people AFK farmed extensively. This is because the math is pretty simple. It costs 1 krono to start a TLP-enabled account, it takes very little time to level a farming box crew to 50. Then they just need to make > 1 kr per account before the bans go out and the RMTer has made a return on their investment.

This line of thinking is why RMTers/AFK farmers are the ultimate betas and cucks, most of them work at low margins. The few that have made real money at RMTing are still losers, being a big money RMTer is like being World Heavyweight Champion at Failing Life. People should make their money legitimately.

The lowest tier are the RMTers who spend 400 hours on an account early TLP then sell the account for $350-400. They're literally working at slave wages.

Even the people who casually RMT here and there while not being shitlords are also losers. There's really no argument to support it. People are always like "but if it's just a little extra money", but fuck that. I could rent my house out on AirBnb when I wasn't home, or ride share my car, or sell random shit on ebay out of my garage, the same concept applies, "why not make a little extra money." The answer is because it makes you a scummy loser. Successful people don't whore themselves out like that.

Nonsense. Successful people can and do make pennies on the side. Renting vacation property when not using it, selling old junk, etc. I and many friends, some quite wealthy, churn credit cards. My rich buddy has a closet of dozens of phones running ads 24/7 for like $500/mo net with little work after setup.

$1-2/hr is slave labor in the USA and successful in parts of Asia, hence the RMT farming. $1-2/hr for afk farming really becomes dozens/hr if you only count actual time present and working. $1/hr for an account you played to enjoy and would,have leveled/geared for the fun of it anyway? That's not work, that's getting a little pay for your side hobby.

Hate RMTing if you want for fucking with the game, but don't go into some pleb sounding rant about how rich people are too proud to pinch pennies, which is bullshit, in the real world CEOs wear jeans and sneakers, Ivanka flew coach, and Buffet drove a beater.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I usually don't have an issue with RMT in mmos as long as the devs do a good job of keeping it to a minimum. You can't eliminate them, but if they're not too obvious, then I can ignore it.

The problem with this server (and many asian mmos) is that there are so many rmt farmers / exploiters and bots that it gets in the way of the game. There a lot of decent mmos in the world these days. So if the rmt mess gets to be too much in one particular game I just move on. Don't usually care, but Everquest is that first girl and all. Sucks that she has become a crack whore.

• 1Worf

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Another thing that most people don't mention is that a lot of RMTers both buy and sell. We like to paint this picture of a basement dweller no-lifing EQ for burger king money but in reality a lot of it is people playing the market so they can either stack up on in game stuff for personal use (i.e. buying krono cheap, selling high and using the profit to pay for subs) or purchasing toons for a purpose and then unloading them when they aren't needed anymore.

The irony here is that the best way to combat RMT is to make stuff less exclusive and more available. Something EQ players usually take a big exception to.

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
Nonsense. Successful people can and do make pennies on the side. Renting vacation property when not using it, selling old junk, etc. I and many friends, some quite wealthy, churn credit cards. My rich buddy has a closet of dozens of phones running ads 24/7 for like $500/mo net with little work after setup.

$1-2/hr is slave labor in the USA and successful in parts of Asia, hence the RMT farming. $1-2/hr for afk farming really becomes dozens/hr if you only count actual time present and working. $1/hr for an account you played to enjoy and would,have leveled/geared for the fun of it anyway? That's not work, that's getting a little pay for your side hobby.

Hate RMTing if you want for fucking with the game, but don't go into some pleb sounding rant about how rich people are too proud to pinch pennies, which is bullshit, in the real world CEOs wear jeans and sneakers, Ivanka flew coach, and Buffet drove a beater.

Buffet also owns his own plane and has a $60m mansion in Florida, he's not as thrifty as implied. Yeah, he does live in the same (decent sized) home he bought in Omaha 50 years ago but he's not like your grandpa shuttling around on greyhound buses.

There's a difference between being thrifty (which is a virtue) and being a scumbag or being stupid. Spending time selling junk makes you dumb, and also exposes you to shifty people.

There's a scene in The Sopranos where Christopher is buying some capicola at a local deli and wedges something under the deli scale so it underweighs the meat. He ends up saving a few dollars. He didn't need the money but it was still scumbag behavior. That's what an RMTer is, some beta faggot who thinks he's OG because he's cheating the deli counter out of a few pennies.

Anyway, sorry if I rustled your jimmies because you probably made some hamburgers worth of krono and now you feel embarrassed because I taught you how much of a loser that makes you.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

yerm

Another thing that most people don't mention is that a lot of RMTers both buy and sell. We like to paint this picture of a basement dweller no-lifing EQ for burger king money but in reality a lot of it is people playing the market so they can either stack up on in game stuff for personal use (i.e. buying krono cheap, selling high and using the profit to pay for subs) or purchasing toons for a purpose and then unloading them when they aren't needed anymore.

The irony here is that the best way to combat RMT is to make stuff less exclusive and more available. Something EQ players usually take a big exception to.

Disagree with part 2. RMTing is more prevalent when it is more accessible and/or more advantageous. You eliminate it by either making it all available directly (eg whale-catered p2w mobile games) which don't really leave open markets, or you eliminate by having nothing of value for exchange. As long as character progression is fundamental, which is basic to any mmo, you have a market. If items, boosts, or subs are tradeable, they will be RMT'd. If not, accounts themselves will. Personally, if the game sells currency directly (eg krono), I have zero issue with rmters selling for less, since its still equally p2w just a smaller p now.

The rmt becomes a problem with competitive environments (eg open world camps) both due to farmer monopolies (eg boxes locking all efreetis) and p2w advantages (out dps'd by some whale who paid for a wdc). The latter I dont observe as bad in eq, the former though can really blow.

Long ramble short, there will be RMT as long as there is a market for it. The only way to have market elements of RMT without it is to have a massive cash shop, which sucks dick and is just as damaging if not worse for a game.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Apparently casuals on the official forums think that people are just warping all over the place, like it's a commonly used tactic. I guess they're still living in 2011.

yerm

Buffet also owns his own plane and has a $60m mansion in Florida, he's not as thrifty as implied. Yeah, he does live in the same (decent sized) home he bought in Omaha 50 years ago but he's not like your grandpa shuttling around on greyhound buses.

There's a difference between being thrifty (which is a virtue) and being a scumbag or being stupid. Spending time selling junk makes you dumb, and also exposes you to shifty people.

There's a scene in The Sopranos where Christopher is buying some capicola at a local deli and wedges something under the deli scale so it underweighs the meat. He ends up saving a few dollars. He didn't need the money but it was still scumbag behavior. That's what an RMTer is, some beta faggot who thinks he's OG because he's cheating the deli counter out of a few pennies.

Anyway, sorry if I rustled your jimmies because you probably made some hamburgers worth of krono and now you feel embarrassed because I taught you how much of a loser that makes you.

That is scamming a seller. Are we talking about RMTers who jack cards or chargeback or otherwise scam? Or just raw RMTing? Dumping an account onto the market when you quit is in no way analogous.

I work in the software industry and have never sold a single krono RMT, by the way. Fuck off with the personal quips they make you sound dumb.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Seems like it would be hard to just log into EQ and enjoy the experience if it became a financial thing too. I'd think most big time RMTers lose the passion for the game once they've used it as a revenue source for a while.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I lost passion for the game after the third TLP back to back and when they added in agents of change. How can you race to do the same thing over and over, with no break between TLPs, and how can you feel like your racing was worth it when scrubs can just go into an AoC get the same shit. EQ to me was about putting in the time and having noticable advantage, beating/racing guilds.

So yeah after the big let down called ragefire I was like rip eq.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I lost passion for the game after the third TLP back to back and when they added in agents of change. How can you race to do the same thing over and over, with no break between TLPs, and how can you feel like your racing was worth it when scrubs can just go into an AoC get the same shit. EQ to me was about putting in the time and having noticable advantage, beating/racing guilds.

So yeah after the big let down called ragefire I was like rip eq.

Having free time does not equate to skill in any way shape or form. Being able to poopsock/batphone to kill your 50,000th a_mob_type etc doesn't make someone a better player in a game which requires almost zero skill to beat content as long as you are breathing and can press a button or two.

This game is entertainment. If you're not entertained, don't play it or continue farming plat to sell and move on with life to something where you can race guilds and feel like an internet winner.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Well yeah I hate poopsocking, but racing guilds on ragefire was fun, competition with citizen on fippy was fun, competing with insidious vision on sleeper was fun as well. not necessarily about free time if theres other guilds competing for open world then its who can dps the best.

with motm its not over that fast, rosengard would race us on TOV dragons on phinigel and that was hella fun. just rare to see any sort of competition here which is what i enjoyed.

also with the frequency of TLP servers it devalues the experience to me, i spend time getting good gear and knowing within 6 months or a year this server will be dead and we'll be doing it all over again, i think thats called insanity.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Dont need linux to run VMs on EQ. But I guess linux can let you run more VM per comp?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Backwards. One single Windows 7 computer, (that runs EQ), and a VM player (running centos) that has seq.

Two monitors, one for each, and voila.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
they have mySEQ now that runs on windows, not sure how different it is never used original seq.