Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Actually, because I worked on P99 and they have 'express permission by Daybreak' as per their updated EULA, which was modified the same time the P99 agreement took place, I won't get banned. I could have gotten banned back before they had permission, but I didn't play on EQLive then.
If John Smedley had gotten word that his CS department was banning people like Tarmie he would've reversed the decision, no doubt.

Here's the quote from the updated EULA:

14. You will not create, use or provide any server emulator or other site where EverQuest may be played, and you will not post or distribute any utilities, emulators or other software tools related to EverQuest without the express written permission of Daybreak Game Company LLC.

Here's the section on the old EULA:

9. You may not use any third party software, programs, applications or utilities to modify the Software to change or otherwise affect, alter or modify play of the Games. You may not use our intellectual property rights contained in the Games or the Software to create or provide any other means through which the Games may be played by others, as through server emulators. You may not take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure, or that interferes with the operation of our server(s). You may not sell, attempt to sell, purchase, attempt to purchase, auction or facilitate the purchase, sale or auction of any accounts, items, coin or copyrighted material relating to the Games.

That being said, they could ban me and wouldn't have to disclose the reason as well. That's par for the course for most customer support departments now a days.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why would anyone risk their account for some dumbass shit like camping Quillmane?

I could understand when monks were warping and soloing raid mobs, and stuff like that. But fucking Quillmane? That bard would need to sell over 20 cloaks just to break even on their account getting banned, which it would from warping.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
This is because the anti-AFK tools MQ2 has to detect other players and stop automation are relatively sophisticated. Since no one is known to have a working MQ2 on Agnarr the vast majority of the automators are using simple solutions like AutoHotKey or various keyboard/mouse macro recorders/players that aren't going to know shit when someone comes to investigate.

Is it tru MQ2 doesn't work on Agnarr?

I know SeQ does but what about mq?

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
Actually, because I worked on P99 and they have 'express permission by Daybreak' as per their updated EULA, which was modified the same time the P99 agreement took place, I won't get banned. I could have gotten banned back before they had permission, but I didn't play on EQLive then.
If John Smedley had gotten word that his CS department was banning people like Tarmie he would've reversed the decision, no doubt.

Like I said, it would be against the spirit of the agreement they announced in April of 2015 w/P99. At the end of the day though it's their playground and they can pretty much ban anyone they want any time they want. Who is going to sue them over access to an Everquest account? What lawyer is going to bother with the case? What would your damages be? (if they aren't at least 5 figures litigation is pointless); and under what law would a court actually rule you have a right to play on their servers? The reality is these companies can largely be as shitty as they want to be, SOE/Daybreak do trend towards being pretty shitty. But they could be worse than they already are, for sure.

• 1Picard

Wynn

Is it tru MQ2 doesn't work on Agnarr?

I know SeQ does but what about mq?

It could in theory. MQ2 was historically an open source project, but portions of it are closed source now. Some of the closed source pieces of it pertain to how EQMule has set up the software so that it's not easy to use a custom compile on Agnarr/Phinny. So the short answer is: the really nice, easy to use MQ2 compile you get as a Redguides subscriber will not work at all on Agnarr/Phinny. This was the MQ2 compile most MQers on Ragefire/Lockjaw used. Steps have been taken so that a custom compile requires a lot more than just changing a few variable values and recompiling; that being said everything can be bypassed. So short answer is "for most people no", there is no publicly distributed MQ2 compile that works on Agnarr, and most casuals would be unable to make their own. If it was just building your own compile a moderately technical person could do that; but you have to also bypass the protections EQMule has put in place. That happened early on Phinny and EQMule actually worked with Daybreak to resolve it to break the version that was being used there. He's very serious about trying to keep MQ2 off Agnarr/Phinny because the fear is if it gets rampant there Daybreak will reverse the agreement they have w/him and start banning for MQ2 on all servers.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
What's not being mentioned here is that Bard tracking range isn't anywhere close to wide enough to effectively camp Quillmane, yet this guy seems to be going straight from ph to ph without having to move his position, which is a clear indication that he's using SEQ.

Edit: actually there's no evidence that he's even on the ph cycle in the video there so I would also require further evidence

Fantasy is the Bard box of a Ranger. Not sure if the Ranger was is zone as well. Once you nail down the PH cycle though you may just be running a loop.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It could in theory. MQ2 was historically an open source project, but portions of it are closed source now. Some of the closed source pieces of it pertain to how EQMule has set up the software so that it's not easy to use a custom compile on Agnarr/Phinny. So the short answer is: the really nice, easy to use MQ2 compile you get as a Redguides subscriber will not work at all on Agnarr/Phinny. This was the MQ2 compile most MQers on Ragefire/Lockjaw used. Steps have been taken so that a custom compile requires a lot more than just changing a few variable values and recompiling; that being said everything can be bypassed. So short answer is "for most people no", there is no publicly distributed MQ2 compile that works on Agnarr, and most casuals would be unable to make their own. If it was just building your own compile a moderately technical person could do that; but you have to also bypass the protections EQMule has put in place. That happened early on Phinny and EQMule actually worked with Daybreak to resolve it to break the version that was being used there. He's very serious about trying to keep MQ2 off Agnarr/Phinny because the fear is if it gets rampant there Daybreak will reverse the agreement they have w/him and start banning for MQ2 on all servers.

Daybreak has an agreement with MQ2 devs?

• 1Worf

Wynn

Daybreak has an agreement with MQ2 devs?

Yeah they have an agreement with EQMule, it's not a secret. He actually went out to their offices and talked with them about it. If you read about the history of MQ2, EQMule really didn't intend it to be a shitlord TLP AFK krono farmer tool. He obviously understood it could be used that way, but he basically intended it to allow for the sort of robust game customization modern MMOs have, and to help with tasks that are needlessly hard in EverQuest because it's an old game ran by a company that lacks the personnel or money to make major needed improvements.

The agreement was basically that MQ2 "Vanilla" which is the Redguides compile, can be used as long as the person running them is physically present at the computer. So you're disallowed from AFK playing the game. They actually changed the EULA to say you're prohibited from using "third-party software unattended." Note that the vanilla compile of MQ2 specifically excludes certain "malicious" plugins, like mq2warp.

This was the rule for all servers until Phinny launched, Daybreak was trying to enforce True Box and felt that allowing MQ2 usage undermined that. EQMule worked with them to make it so the vanilla compile wouldn't work on Phinny, and even took steps to make it harder for other compiles to work on Phinny, and this was carried forward onto Agnarr.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
That's super interesting.

So the average donk won't have MQ but the coder peeps like secrets probably can figure it out.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just spent 27 hours at berg trying to get crown. The fact you have multiple makes me sad

I did these while mostly ignoring eq. I could watch tv or work remotely and do these. Quite relaxing honestly. I was gonna do more gimblox; that one can be decent cash if you do pay attention. Alas.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The code that "blocks" MQ2 from working on TLP is closed source. I don't doubt there are a handful of people who have the source in it's entirety and may or may not use it on TLP, but it's very doubtful anyone is using it in any sort of attention attracting manner. The reality of Agnarr is that it doesn't have to be shady to be banned, it just has to look shady.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's super interesting.

So the average donk won't have MQ but the coder peeps like secrets probably can figure it out.
The preventing factor of having MQ2 is on their software side and not on the DBG side.

So yes, someone could probably figure out fairly easily how eqmule limited his software. The more important question is could they do it yet still be transparent to EQ and evade a ban.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's not being mentioned here is that Bard tracking range isn't anywhere close to wide enough to effectively camp Quillmane, yet this guy seems to be going straight from ph to ph without having to move his position, which is a clear indication that he's using SEQ.

Edit: actually there's no evidence that he's even on the ph cycle in the video there so I would also require further evidence

I did quill on LJ just fine as a bard with track. I haven't done it on Agnarr yet, but I assume nothing as changed.

As for SEQ, its cheating yes, but I don't think anyone cares even DBG, considering how prevalent it is on these servers. So many use it to track mobs. Can't count the number of times I've seen a non track class run directly to a just spawned named.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Can't count the number of times I've seen a non track class run directly to a just spawned named.
Yeah that I don't love. Parking a class without track in a zone with showeq running to watch for a raid target to spawn though I find to be not an issue. You could park one with tracking just as easy.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Silly question, asking for a friend, he has some questions about showeq. If anyone knows someone familiar with it send me a PM.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Do you guys use ESP in FPS's too? Curious. At what point does it not become a game for fun and become some sort of weird career?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Haha so funny how many people think agnarr doesnt have MQ2, even phinigel had it. I bet Secrets has it if hes a coder why not.

But anyone using active hacks on these servers would be dumb, and dumb people dont get mq2 unless they profit before the ban each time.

And yeah eqmule has an agreement with DBG. I was told by someone who went through the MQ2 source that it had direct IP addresses of the servers of EQ and used those IP's in their anti phinigel/agnarr code. Buddy said you wouldnt have those IP addresses if you werent working with them. /shrug

Also that "integrity has been preserved" is there because of the agreement, tells you that you got scanned, and you're safe.

WTS Polished Mithril Mask LRs • r/AgnarrFlames

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if server IP addresses are that protected. I remember using tracert to my server back in the day to check status / IP issues.