Everquest AMA Answered!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If the EQ devs come up with a transparant cost model, I am sure the cost of a TLP PVP server would be funded overnight.

I'm aware this won't happen because the overhead cost is too high (Absor 20k / month), but the solution is cutting on "technical" and "overhead" costs, and just launching a pvp progression server.

E Elidroth can you give us a summary of the time you guys spent on PvP?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tarb

Trakanon Raider
Oh yes, they truly are gods for doing an AMA thread.

I put somewhere north of 5k$ into Legends of Norrath, before it got cancelled.

I mean it was an EQ cardgame, that didn't completely suck, that is how low the barrier is.

Please continue sucking the dicks of people that gave EQ herpes.

"technical costs for a new server are high"

Please.

Was daddy mean to you as a child? LOL
I never said they were not without fault but I have accepted EQ for what it is today when I do log in every few months.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I just think they missed the mark on this concept with tlps. They have two different player bases and they are trying to convert one of them on nostalgia. Congrats you did it. I am an example of that. Now how do you retain that user base? They are not spending time thinking about that enough. It’s a mid-term strategy. That demographic of People peter out after pop for a reason, same reason they did the first time. I don’t see how they think it’s magically going to change.

They have a real opportunity problem on their hands that they are taking for granted imho. The reason they won’t is because it takes admitting to themselves that the later eq models are everything that is wrong with eq from the perspective of old eq players, and they don’t ever plan on giving us what we want, just milking money on what’s there.

I hope I am wrong and they milk us until they launch a real eq3 that captures the imagination of people that caters to the crowd that is stuck on tlps. Here’s for hoping. I am hopeful that an eqmobile would bring eq to a whole new set of people and expose more and pave the way for a new ip. Here’s for hoping, I guess they’ll know where to find me once it happens but consider my runway over. I think most people have a horizon of around 5 years or less on tlps, which I guess isn’t all that bad.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
They are not given a ton of resources. Their current expansions are thin as hell. How could anyone think they could do two quality expansions a year that go in entirely different directions? DBG isn't going to spend that money. They aren't even willing to pay for any decent staff to handle customer service issues in the game.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just think they missed the mark on this concept with tlps. They have two different player bases and they are trying to convert one of them on nostalgia. Congrats you did it. I am an example of that. Now how do you retain that user base? They are not spending time thinking about that enough. It’s a mid-term strategy. That demographic of People peter out after pop for a reason, same reason they did the first time. I don’t see how they think it’s magically going to change.

They have a real opportunity problem on their hands that they are taking for granted imho. The reason they won’t is because it takes admitting to themselves that the later eq models are everything that is wrong with eq from the perspective of old eq players, and they don’t ever plan on giving us what we want, just milking money on what’s there.

I hope I am wrong and they milk us until they launch a real eq3 that captures the imagination of people that caters to the crowd that is stuck on tlps. Here’s for hoping. I am hopeful that an eqmobile would bring eq to a whole new set of people and expose more and pave the way for a new ip. Here’s for hoping, I guess they’ll know where to find me once it happens but consider my runway over. I think most people have a horizon of around 5 years or less on tlps, which I guess isn’t all that bad.
old freeport:new freeport::current TLP experience:TLP experience if DBG started mucking with it

Capital is a real issue. I am guessing DBG has a total yearly budget of 7 figures, not counting overhead of being run above a pizza parlor and the maintenance of the no doubt rented server farms, and so, ya know, we have to be prepared that we may want some real substantive product from this IP, but realistically, here is where we are ...
tumblr_n8n195G4BY1r7t164o1_1280.0.jpg

• 1Salty

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
EQ PVP could be somewhere between counterstrike and DOTA autochess, both insanely popular and low upkeep games.

Devs made a huge mistake trying to balance classes against each other individually, back when they still spent time on PVP, which is literally 2 decades ago. EQ is a group game, yet somehow they felt that a wizard vs a rogue should be "balanced".

I'm sure lots of time was invested in futile attempts to balance the classes in a vacuum, it was a bad call.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Look at p99s PVP server, even its heyday it was like at most 300 people when the blue server had 2000. Fully not worth devs time especially considering the amount of complaints would arise from all the usual autists.

Wrong red launch had 700.

It was also a mess so that plumetted #s and had corrupt staff, which is proven and killed off the rest.

Needs a redo.

Daybreak can hire my ass part time for free to help them get it right. Try me.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
You forgot how toxic random griefers, like you, ran off most of that 700. I can still picture the piles of corpses at the boat docks never claimed and rotting...

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You forgot how toxic random griefers, like you, ran off most of that 700. I can still picture the piles of corpses at the boat docks never claimed and rotting...

Mostly killed Nihilum. Wasn't a toxic griefer at all, left most noobs alone. Name one person I corpse camped and griefed, I'll wait lol.

It's a PVP server btw. I took camps by force at times.

What really ran them off was losing their hour of grinding to a PVP death or two (3% per was rough on noobs). That's a custom change which was retarded. It completely discouraged pvping for fun as no one wanted to lose 90% of a level fighting back and forth to defend the commonlands or whatever.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
xp loss on death was classic (sullon). working as intended ;). And why are we discussing this in two threads

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Damn how'd I miss this thread for a whole week. Just caught up on it, good stuff.
Looks like Alan enjoyed my questions (#45). Though he doesn't answer much, biggest takeaway is him supporting stream-friendly games.
I'd be curious how an MMO game could support that.

Holly basically announced a new EQ title is in the works. Im nervous it is not going to be what we expect, though.
I am disappointed Alan only assumed IP meant more MMO titles, I was referring to Blizzard using their Warcraft IP to make RTS / MMO / Hearthstone / HoTS, whereas EQ hasn't done shit.

Notes from other people's Q's:

It was shockingly funny to me that Holly seems to have such a negative response to BR games.. understandable, as the market is saturated as hell now, but you'd think as a Producer you wouldn't shy away from a certain type of game. Her response is particularly funny since Daybreak Games had the first big BR game.
I actually think "Online Arena" type games are a big future, whereas you get 100+ people in a game to achieve certain objectives or compete. Right now we've only touched the surface with "BR" (Last man Standing). But there is a wide open space to be explored with 100s of players + Huge Map.

Alan getting annoyed about Necro dots was actually kinda annoying lol... just ignore the Q then? That was petty.

Question #24 still cracks me up. I agree EQ is a valuable IP. If they announce a new EQ3 or some other title, it'll get eyeballs on it quickly. Especially since there's been a lack of exploitation with the IP in the past ~10+ years. A lot of curious people will check it out. However there is also a new huge base of at least 2 generations of players that have no idea what EQ is and won't care about it. The young generations determine what becomes a "hit". So I'd imagine they get 1 more shot to do something worthwhile before they run out of lives.

Lastly, all the EQ PVP questions deserve the responses that were given. Nobody cares about shitty EQ or MMO PvP when they can play the 1000s of better PvP games out there. Their answers confirm nobody wants EQ PvP and that it should all be shut down. I agree that PvP TLP server would likely be terrible.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

FacUtr

Bronze Squire
The argument about PvP in this thread is interesting. I certainly agree with all my fellow lifelong EQ PvP players that it's not fair to completely abandon a server's needs and then fault people for asking for Dev / GM attention because "Nobody plays there." It's plainly a chicken and egg issue: You want people to play on Zek to prove that EQ PvP is worth investment, but you need to invest in Zek in order for people to want to play there. PvP servers in EQ have a pretty competitive track record when it comes to population during periods when sufficient attention was being paid to those servers. Perhaps not as popular as blue servers, but not ghost towns either. To the extent that Zek was a merged server and eventually declined, well, you can see the same general trend on the blue live servers.

Nonetheless, Gordon Walton, who infamously introduced blue servers to Ultima Online, was definitely on to something when he observed that PvP servers, whatever their longevity, all have the same final outcome: The wolves chase off all the sheep, and then the wolves are left on a depopulated server blaming the developers for the absence of sheep. If you want to put off this result for as long as possible, you need two things: 1, active attention to the server in the form of development changes and rules enforcement, and 2, a good community that permits a variety of playstyles (not just nicey-nice) but nonetheless knows where to draw the line for the health of the server and enforces those norms without GM intervention.

We're no longer in the era of MMO development--especially in EQ--where GMs and developers have a surfeit of attention to give, and we are arguably in the era of online gaming in general when community norms are at their most pathetic (in EQ, just ask people on the TLPs; krono certainly make this worse). I don't think I could effectively argue against someone who says that EQ's PvP servers attract the game's worst scum, in fact. So the notion that Holly et al should be looking at a PvP server is frankly insane, and if so many of us weren't man-babies who wasted 20 years of our lives on the internet, that would be easy to understand. Not to pick on Nirgon--who I played with on RZ and have a lot of respect for, and who didn't mean this as seriously as I'm making it out--but it's borderline dementia to even imagine Holly hiring some veteran PvP player on a volunteer basis to show the company how to do a PvP server right. If you were worth their time, they would already know you from the industry and you would be reaching out to them as a colleague, not an embittered stranger.

Thanks to Elidroth for giving some hard numbers on Zek. Around the time he specified, I was playing there and had guessed it was about 50 active players, so 37 makes sense. And in case DBG staff are still reading this, here's some food for thought: Because of DPS bloat, a PvP server in any previous era of EQ is more fun and more balanced than Live. Since the number of accounts on Zek is so small anyway, perhaps consider closing the server and replacing it with an era-locked server in a previous expansion, so that the 30 or so people who do want an official PvP server can enjoy PvP encounters that take more than a single keystroke to conclude. Apparently the number of expansion sales lost to red players who insist on Live EQ will be very minimal.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The argument about PvP in this thread is interesting. I certainly agree with all my fellow lifelong EQ PvP players that it's not fair to completely abandon a server's needs and then fault people for asking for Dev / GM attention because "Nobody plays there." It's plainly a chicken and egg issue: You want people to play on Zek to prove that EQ PvP is worth investment, but you need to invest in Zek in order for people to want to play there. PvP servers in EQ have a pretty competitive track record when it comes to population during periods when sufficient attention was being paid to those servers. Perhaps not as popular as blue servers, but not ghost towns either. To the extent that Zek was a merged server and eventually declined, well, you can see the same general trend on the blue live servers.

Nonetheless, Gordon Walton, who infamously introduced blue servers to Ultima Online, was definitely on to something when he observed that PvP servers, whatever their longevity, all have the same final outcome: The wolves chase off all the sheep, and then the wolves are left on a depopulated server blaming the developers for the absence of sheep. If you want to put off this result for as long as possible, you need two things: 1, active attention to the server in the form of development changes and rules enforcement, and 2, a good community that permits a variety of playstyles (not just nicey-nice) but nonetheless knows where to draw the line for the health of the server and enforces those norms without GM intervention.

We're no longer in the era of MMO development--especially in EQ--where GMs and developers have a surfeit of attention to give, and we are arguably in the era of online gaming in general when community norms are at their most pathetic (in EQ, just ask people on the TLPs; krono certainly make this worse). I don't think I could effectively argue against someone who says that EQ's PvP servers attract the game's worst scum, in fact. So the notion that Holly et al should be looking at a PvP server is frankly insane, and if so many of us weren't man-babies who wasted 20 years of our lives on the internet, that would be easy to understand. Not to pick on Nirgon--who I played with on RZ and have a lot of respect for, and who didn't mean this as seriously as I'm making it out--but it's borderline dementia to even imagine Holly hiring some veteran PvP player on a volunteer basis to show the company how to do a PvP server right. If you were worth their time, they would already know you from the industry and you would be reaching out to them as a colleague, not an embittered stranger.

Thanks to Elidroth for giving some hard numbers on Zek. Around the time he specified, I was playing there and had guessed it was about 50 active players, so 37 makes sense. And in case DBG staff are still reading this, here's some food for thought: Because of DPS bloat, a PvP server in any previous era of EQ is more fun and more balanced than Live. Since the number of accounts on Zek is so small anyway, perhaps consider closing the server and replacing it with an era-locked server in a previous expansion, so that the 30 or so people who do want an official PvP server can enjoy PvP encounters that take more than a single keystroke to conclude. Apparently the number of expansion sales lost to red players who insist on Live EQ will be very minimal.

So much reason and logic, and coming from a PvPer at that. I'm not sure you belong here, good sir!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
If you can propose a server idea that requires the same "upkeep" as any other tlp server, and promise it will have a population that plays on it, they will listen.

Your pvp server needs to:
1. Require only a default eq server template, plus pvp. "Tz/vz pvp rules, phinny unlocks, truebox yes, aoc no." This might fly. Start asking for a new design, special loot rules, different instance models... Forget it.
2. Require only a default level of cs support, OR LESS. This is self explanatory really, if your server needs additional human resources to work you will be more kindly told to go get fucked.
3. Utilize all the same for profit functionality such as krono and bag sales that dbg needs.
4. Have as many or may players play on this as would have gone to some cookie cutter phinny 4.0 server.

This post reads like someone who has actually, at a minimum, been exposed to the actual workings of business. The posts advocating for nonsense like PVP servers are clearly people with no clue. The EQ PVP community, all 15 of them, seem to be amazing at dominating discussions on forums and Discord but they just never show up anywhere for actual play. At its hey-dey p99 Red would have been by far the lowest new release server Daybreak/SOE has ever had, and considered a massive business failure. P99 Red is usually held up as the "modern" example of how popular, in its prime, PVP could be, and it was still a niche server that wouldn't justify even minimal dev time.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I'm honestly shocked anyone believes an EQ PvP server would be successful. That shit would be horrible and nobody would play on it longer than a month.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
PJ2EumH.png

" I also suspect that hobbyist-run servers would be much less stable if their userbase were similar to ours." - Ed Harding III, Daybreak Games

if EQEmu had the same number people playing that EverQuest does in one server, their servers would be unplayable - not because of performance, but because EQEmu servers would be a fucking wasteland where no one could progress, just simply because there would be no one playing the game.

The average EQLive server has what, 50-500 people on it in peak hours CCU? TLP maybe, at most, has 3 times that. P99, at the time of this post, has the same online that 3 Daybreak non-TLP servers do, and if there's a raid target up, you can expect 200-300 in the same zone with no lag on Project 1999.

Pretty sure Daybreak caps their zoneservers at something like 150 players due to performance issues above 100.

What an out of touch company.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
I'm honestly shocked anyone believes an EQ PvP server would be successful. That shit would be horrible and nobody would play on it longer than a month.

It would be straight AIDS in less than 24hrs.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Are you not seeing how literally every single one of the blockbuster online games these days is about PVP? How can you state noone likes the concept of PVP? It is more popular then ever.

Companies are vying to get into the e-sports scene, which is literally all (team) PVP games, but there isn't a market for it?

At some point someone decided "we going to stop working on PVP", and after years of neglect states "look, the servers are dying, we were right all the way!"

This is why people lament the state of the video games industry.

Are you not seeing where I said PVP IN EQ is dead? PVP in EQ was a bandaid at best. It wasn't ever really designed to be a PVP in any way, shape, or form. Trust me, I definitely understand that PVP is a big deal right now, but that's in games that were designed for it. I LOVE the BR games. I play Ring of Elesium quite a bit. I played a TON of Fortnite. I get it. But EQ PVP is/has always been broke as fuck. So to devote ANY resources to it means you have to devote A LOT of resources to it to fix the horrific problems, and then you don't have enough resources to do much of anything else.

"At some point someone decided to stop working on PVP" is factually false. EQ PVP hasn't been worked on reasonably since like year 1.5 at latest.

• 1Like