EQ: Classless.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm sure there will be some adjustments lol. A lot of those issues have easy fixes

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Losing all your spells on death means you just reroll every time you die because level 1 Mages typically are not killing much without their newbie spells. But when you decide to reroll just punch a guard in some corner of Qeynos and come loot all your old gear on the fresh character.

Make sure you make a large race so you can use slam since you start without combat skills. I'd say choose Troll for increased regen.

Bard songs have to be recast constantly atm.

Exp loss appears to start at level 2, I was losing a whopping 25-30% exp with each death.

I just adjusted players to start at 9 with skills. Here's a full list of changes based on player feedback:

* No longer do you start as a magician, but instead a level 9 ranger with max skills for your level (minus tradeskills)
* Exp loss level moved to 10, as players now start as a 9 ranger.
* Retroactively changed all players to a ranger at level 9 and set their skills if they were below level 9.
* NPCs in Qeynos will only drop 1-4 spells as part of their global table. They will still drop their standard loot.
* Random spells have been categorized into several different categories: Levels 1-4, 5-9, 10-14, 15-19.
* Random armor, gear, and non-spells will now only drop from Level 20+ NPCs in addition to spells from any prior tier.
* The starting spells, Burst of Flame and Minor Shielding, will no longer disappear from your book - ever.
* Fixed an issue where your class wouldn't be saved when converting you from a magician to a ranger.
* Fixed an issue where your character level was used instead of skill level when calculating set skills on becoming a ranger.
* Fixed an issue preventing spell sets from loading on lower level NPCs
* Fixed an issue that wouldn't allow level 2 or higher players to see spells that were on corpses.

The issue with bard spells is that the client expects special logic when you're a bard. I don't think i'll be fixing that, but at least you can move while running and casting them.

Last edited:

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Hey guys,

Quick reminder that I am wiping this Thursday evening, and going to launch a test on Friday evening. Most of the major issues have been resolved, and it's in a state where I feel comfortable with launching a test.

Feel free to join the discord and talk with us and pre-game for the first launch event, as well as get technical support about setting up the game client and instructions on getting started. In the case Discord isn't your thing, the website is also listed below.

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

or

EQ: Battle Royale - Index page

Note that the test on the weekend is actually now going to be a two-week long test. If things work out, every other Friday will be wipes and the server will continue indefinitely.

See you there!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
seems a bit quick

Depends on a lot of things: max level, experience bonus, drop rates, pve content.

I agree 2 weeks seems pretty short if the objective is to encourage at least a little pve play. You would barely have time to make a character, kill some NPCs, get some gear and some rares, and have a few pvp fights before your character disappears. Hell, for those with limited play time, it would almost seem pointless.

I understand that the primary objective of this server is a PVP "battle royale," but the best EQ pvp servers always mix in a little pve with the pvp to make it more meaningful.

This server has some fantastic ideas, but it would benefit greatly from some pve elements mixed in. My instinct is telling me monthly wipes might be better.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Depends on a lot of things: max level, experience bonus, drop rates, pve content.

I agree 2 weeks seems pretty short if the objective is to encourage at least a little pve play. You would barely have time to make a character, kill some NPCs, get some gear and some rares, and have a few pvp fights before your character disappears. Hell, for those with limited play time, it would almost seem pointless.

I understand that the primary objective of this server is a PVP "battle royale," but the best EQ pvp servers always mix in a little pve with the pvp to make it more meaningful.

This server has some fantastic ideas, but it would benefit greatly from some pve elements mixed in. My instinct is telling me monthly wipes might be better.

Monthly wipes may actually be better, or some sort of goal or condition has to be met before wipes would be triggered. That way there's a reason to log in. I feel as though there's no core game loop right now, and that's a problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Monthly wipes may actually be better, or some sort of goal or condition has to be met before wipes would be triggered. That way there's a reason to log in. I feel as though there's no core game loop right now, and that's a problem.

I like the idea of a goal or condition that triggers a wipe a lot. Especially if you make the goal or condition with the intent that it would take about a month to achieve it. Plus you could certainly play around with it. If it took longer or less time than you thought you could just change the condition a little bit for the next iteration.

A goal or condition would also help add a PVE element to the server, which as I stated before I think would be crucial.

You could even have some type of minor award for those who complete the goal or condition that would carry over to the next iteration. Something simple like a title or something. It would be fun and wouldn't unbalance anything.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
or some sort of goal or condition has to be met before wipes would be triggered.
I like the idea of a goal or condition that triggers a wipe a lot.
ditto. tho i'm having a hard time dreaming up one that can't potentially be cockblocked.
You could even have some type of minor award for those who complete the goal or condition that would carry over to the next iteration. Something simple like a title or something. It would be fun and wouldn't unbalance anything.
^ i guess that might be a cockblock cure

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
ditto. tho i'm having a hard time dreaming up one that can't potentially be cockblocked.

^ i guess that might be a cockblock cure

Dozens and dozens of easy ways to prevent cock blocking. First and foremost, simply don't publish what the goal or condition of server Victory even is.

Second, some degree of cock-blocking is good in a PVP server.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
First and foremost, simply don't publish what the goal or condition of server Victory even is.

eh, i don't like that idea

Second, some degree of cock-blocking is good in a PVP server.

this is true, tho. just needs to be kept to a reasonable level. if the condition was something like kill Nagafen (assuming there's a future season with a 50 level cap) that would be far too easy to cockblock.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
My friend and I will be checking this out. Had a blast on Zek and NL. Also, bring back Zek, that server was amazing.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Server is closed for a wipe, and will be live again on Friday, May 4th 2018, at 9pm EST.

Get your bodies ready!

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Some changes for the release today. The goal is to make things more accessible for new players, less jarring when you die and generally more on an even-level playing field for everyone:

* Food / Drink have returned to merchants. The changes to fishing are still in.
* Races who can normally use kick can once again use kick.
* Players now start with a Short Halberd*, which is a 2 handed slashing weapon with 8 dmg / 51 delay for jousting purposes in PVP.
* Players now start with a Fire Wedding Ring*, which is a +55 hp ring with 5 ac. The intent with this item is to make initial leveling & general pvp less brutal for players so that they do not get one shot by spells early on.
* There will later be quests ingame to upgrade the Fire Wedding Ring* and Short Halberd* which involve a mixture of PVP and PVE goals.
* Added a Backpack* to new players. It has Large capacity, and 8 slots.
* Players now start with a Club* and Club* has had its damage/delay changed to 3/24.
* Droprates for global mobs per-level-range have been increased to 50% for a single drop and 35% for an additional drop. This is to make re-gearing upon death less brutal.
* Lord Elgnub in Blackburrow's snake pit has had his HP doubled, class changed to Warrior, and spell list removed. He has significant buffs to one of his resists. He is considered the 'boss' NPC, and drops hotly contested items. Will you be the one to slay him?
* Portal/Gate spells have been removed from global loot tables.
* The level range on PVP has been increased to +/- 4. (up from +/- 3)
* Starting spells are now scribed and memmed on character creation as opposed to having to scribe/mem them on first login.
* Kick can now be used by races that can normally not use the ability, starting at level 5.
* Captain Rohand in South Qeynos now sells (for free) the Short Halberd, Club, Dagger, Fire Wedding Ring, and Backpack for players who have lost theirs.
* Short Halberd, Club, Dagger, Fire Wedding Ring, and Backpack (with * in their name) are now lore.
* Various Qeynos area quests have had their EXP gain removed.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Something up with the server? I was logging in fine this morning but now I get disconned as soon as I select server and try to log in.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
As a reminder, there will be a character progression (level) and skills wipe on May 18th. Players who have participated in testing will be reset to level 1 on this date. Scribed Spells and Gear will remain from the testing period as a way of saying 'thank you' to those who were dedicated to testing.

The server will be officially completing the test phase on May 18th, at 12pm EST. It will be locked until hosting is transferred to a new location. The estimated downtime will be about 9-12 hours.

Here's the latest patch notes:

Secrets - 05/09/2018
An HP regen bonus is now active, and functions similar to meditate. It requires you to sit (or be on a horse) and out of combat.
A mana regeneration bonus is now in for sitting players. It requires you to sit (or be on a horse) and out of combat to get the full effect, otherwise standard meditate bonus is applied.
Secrets - 05/09/2018
The Gnoll Slayer quest now rewards Greater Healing for the intermediate reward and Superior Healing for the final reward.
Efreeti Lord Djarn and The Ghoul Lord now have a 15% chance to drop Complete Healing on death, in lieu of their normal drops.(edited)
May 10, 2018
Secrets - Last Thursday at 12:08 PM
The following spells once again have their normal duration against NPCs.
* Fear
* Invoke Fear
* Tangling Weeds
* Charm
* Mesmerization
* Mesmerize
The following spells have had their level requirements reduced:
* Superior Healing - 34 (was 57)
* Greater Healing - 29 (was 54)
Secrets - Last Thursday at 1:38 PM
* Qeynos NPCs 'witness check' no longer checks dots for aggro. You can be dotted next to a guard, they won't care.
* Allowed OOC to use "nicknames" instead of "Someone" when the player uses /surname at level 20.
May 12, 2018
Secrets - Last Saturday at 1:40 PM
Pet procs have been re-added and now have different spell lists:
-Fire pet: DS only, higher white damage/lower hp
-Water pet: Attacks only, medium hp/white damage
-Earth pet: Root only, medium hp/low white damage
-Air pet: Invis only, highest white damage / lower hp
-Enchanter pets - Now uses enchanter spell sets, low mana pool
-Necro/SK pets - Now uses shadowknight spell sets, low mana pool
May 13, 2018
Secrets - Last Sunday at 10:47 AM
A brazier that leads to the Plane of Hate has been added at the top of the spectre tower in the Oasis of Marr, on top of the drawing of the Chelsith stone.(edited)
May 14, 2018
Secrets - Last Monday at 6:04 PM
New version of files are up now, and can be found at eqbr_files.zip. If you are getting disconnected on login, this is why. THIS IS REQUIRED TO PLAY.
* Discs are now enabled, all of them are available starting at level 45 and drop randomly from 45+ mobs and the global table. They occupy a spell slot, and require a refresh before being active.(edited)
* NPCs that are in North Qeynos or South Qeynos will no longer drop any spell from the global loot table at an alarming rate.
Lady Vox, Lord Nagafen, Cazic-Thule and Innoruuk have been reduced in difficulty significantly, but still should pose a challenge to a group of 2-6 players.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Server is down for the downtime before the launch period. Launch will be 5:30pm EST. See you there!