EQ: Classless.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
After much consideration, I have decided to convert the project that was EQ: Battle Royale into EQ: Classless.
Why? Because a full item loot, classless pvp server wasn't as popular and launched at an inopportune time, and the players who went to try the server were PVE players primarily. I believe the fast-paced, classless niche outweighs any benefits a PVP server would bring.

As such, I have turned the server into a PVE Classless server with RNG-based spell/gear drops.
The server is currently in Kunark and will stop at PoP.

Here are the revised rules:

- No boxing, strict 1 IP limit - the world is yours and yours alone to travel through.
- "Easier" Raid Zones -We've tweaked a lot of the raid bosses to be easier, but with competition via PvP in mind. Future content will include later expansion content tuned to this system. Raid content is tuned for 6-12 players, though raid content will be the least of your issues.
- Classless system - All players are able to use and scribe any spell scroll, dual wield any item, and track down their enemies. Double attack is available from level 1, and disciplines are available at 45+. Use any classes' spells in any capacity that you feel comfortable with. Create your favorite hybrid.
- All items are no longer nodrop - Hand-me-downs were one of the best things about EverQuest, and having all items trade-able expands on this feature.
- Do anyone's epic quest - Ever want to dual wield a Ranger/Warrior epic? Now you can!
- Increased Regeneration - Outside of combat, your HP/Mana regen is increased significantly. This speeds up the pace of gameplay.
- Increased EXP - With a super-fast 8 times experience rate, it's easy to catch up to your friends who have been playing for a while.
- Accurate EverQuest - With the support of the TAKProject database and client, the game looks, feels, and is authentically EverQuest. Working combat formulas shape an otherwise non-classic experience.
- A hub zone - The Ethernere. This zone is considered a Haven zone, to let you get your bearings before you go out into the world and start killing monsters. There is a translocator in the town that will teleport you to a few locations, however, if you ask her nicely. Your starting ring will take you back to the Ethernere as a click effect.
- RNG-based loot system - NPCs throughout the world will have a chance to drop exceedingly rare items during your travels, ranging from armor, to spell scrolls, to weapons, and more. If you're lucky, exceedingly rare treasures can drop depending on NPC level.

Discord Server link:
Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers
Website link:
eqclassless.com

Amod Amod can you change the title and the first post to this one?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Sounds interesting, I may check it out eventually. How required is grouping? That's the problem with a lot of EMU's: the idea of needing community/help for tough targets is central to EQ, but the majority of EMUs don't have that population/community. So you can burn out quick with nothing to do.

I imagine a "best" uber build in terms of spells/abilities to use will be the way to go.

PVP in EQ is cancer, glad you changed from that.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Sounds interesting, I may check it out eventually. How required is grouping? That's the problem with a lot of EMU's: the idea of needing community/help for tough targets is central to EQ, but the majority of EMUs don't have that population/community. So you can burn out quick with nothing to do.

I imagine a "best" uber build in terms of spells/abilities to use will be the way to go.

PVP in EQ is cancer, glad you changed from that.

Grouping and community are a part of the game but not the focal part of the game. There's heightened regeneration and all classes' spells, so you're less focused on finding the right class and instead on finding able-bodied players. The skill cap is actually increased now that you have to micromanage spells from multiple classes.

I've rebalanced raid content in classic around 3-6 people, content in Kunark around 6-12 and I have seen Naggy/Vox duo'd by some clever players. Phara Dar is giving the top players some issues due to numbers; they simply don't have a strat for him with 3 people. Most of the other dragons in VP have been trioable, but some really clever strats were used to take them down.

Gear/level and skill is really important, one of the people from that trio actually tried to help some folks out with Venril Sathir but were unable to, simply because of the players' gear involved and spells they have access to. One of the metagames surrounding the server is finding the spells that will help your playstyle. 60 spells only drop off of 60-65 mobs, and 61-65 spells only drop off VP and end-of-expansion bosses right now. So there's that level of challenge too, and there's definitely progression that needs to happen while not being too impossible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Real interested now that it's PVE. Always wanted to play a Warrior/Enchanter hybrid, going to see how I can pull it off. :)

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Who is "we', do you mean you? Who else is involved enough to be a GM or have any control?

""Easier" Raid Zones -We've tweaked a lot of the raid bosses to be easier, but with competition via PvP in mind. Future content will include later expansion content tuned to this system. Raid content is tuned for 6-12 players, though raid content will be the least of your issues."

S Secrets

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Who is "we', do you mean you? Who else is involved enough to be a GM or have any control?

""Easier" Raid Zones -We've tweaked a lot of the raid bosses to be easier, but with competition via PvP in mind. Future content will include later expansion content tuned to this system. Raid content is tuned for 6-12 players, though raid content will be the least of your issues."

S Secrets

Yes I mean me. No one else has access to the server except myself, and the codebase only the TAKP devs have access to because it's based off of their code/db. I'm so used to writing things as 'we' because at my RL work, I work as a team/unit, and it's only appropriate that as a team you would write "We've gone ahead and did x and y".

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
S Secrets I legit tried. The idea is brilliant, but I can't handle the clunky ghetto client from TAKP. You're onto a very interesting and unique server concept though!

Let us know if it ever makes it over to a modern Emu client.

• 1Like

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
the client makes it better my dude, you have to embrace it. everyone is on that same shitty client. even more so, it's been updated to include a fps limiter (mouse look improvements), move the mouse out of the bordered window (no more alt tab), and mouse scroll which goes to 3rd person

having a blast, found charm and been using it from lvl 12-25... that + lifetaps and it feels like im a shadowknight/ench

Brikker

Trump's Staff
S Secrets I legit tried. The idea is brilliant, but I can't handle the clunky ghetto client from TAKP. You're onto a very interesting and unique server concept though!

Let us know if it ever makes it over to a modern Emu client.

I guess I didn't read enough; no ROF client? Pass then. I auto pass Emus that aren't rof2 nowadays.

moai13

Trakanon Raider
I cannot emphasis enough how fun this server is. No drop is also disabled for those FV fans, as well (even epics!). IMHO, those that dislike the client should give it another go. Personally I’ve played on live very recently and I do fine switching between that and TAKP’s client. The only thing I habitually do even on TAKP’s client is /openbagall

This new concept (instead of fortnite-like spell reset upon death) really should have had a new thread- pvp is still present but only to resolve raid spawn conflicts w/o gm intervention.

Secrets is tweaking the server weekly, if not daily, interesting seeing how things players do affect Secrets’ dev decisions.

It really is a breath of fresh air into Everquest.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
Buddy and I are playing casually. Server is a blast. I think I like the work that went into Nagafen's Lair more, to be honest. But there really isn't anything like this server I have ever played.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved the classless part when I tested out the server when it was pvp. Looking forward to playing the live version.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I cannot emphasis enough how fun this server is. No drop is also disabled for those FV fans, as well (even epics!). IMHO, those that dislike the client should give it another go. Personally I’ve played on live very recently and I do fine switching between that and TAKP’s client. The only thing I habitually do even on TAKP’s client is /openbagall

This new concept (instead of fortnite-like spell reset upon death) really should have had a new thread- pvp is still present but only to resolve raid spawn conflicts w/o gm intervention.

Secrets is tweaking the server weekly, if not daily, interesting seeing how things players do affect Secrets’ dev decisions.

It really is a breath of fresh air into Everquest.

Lol

Its like a Kegz forum reply. Do these people get server points for items for talking good stuff?

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Lol

Its like a Kegz forum reply. Do these people get server points for items for talking good stuff?

I don't tell people to go on these forums, nor do I offer any services for items ingame.

In the real world, good boy points don't earn you any money.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I don't tell people to go on these forums, nor do I offer any services for items ingame.

In the real world, good boy points don't earn you any money.

Let us all know in the real world when you close this server down too!

• 1Picard