Everquest - Coirnav Progression Server

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'd like a no boxing at all server. I guess it would be 1 login per IP with some kind of vpn detection magicry. Halved or quartered or more instance lockouts would be cool too. And maybe some lockout bugfixes as well. /dream

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
TLP pvp would be meaningless in an instanced raids server. OW targets would just be griefers attacking MTs and Clerics.

What's the point?

DAoC pvp servers had the same thing and it was fine. Was always constant fights at the raid targets or even AoE groups joining a raid only to PBAOE kill the entire raid as soon as they are stacked. A big difference in DAoC though was you couldn't bind at zone lines, so you couldn't just respawn over and over and zerg down an enemy guild raid preventing them from ever finishing.

The biggest problem for EQ PvP, other than how prevalent SEQ is, is that the characters aren't balanced around PvP. Resists later in expansions, especially starting around luclin, can give you 100% immunity to spells. To make it more balanced, they would have to drastically decrease resists in PvP combat to the point where spells always land but are decreased in effectiveness based on your resists, massively decrease the duration of soft/hard CC abilities, enable some sort of stick feature, not allow spell casters to cast while being attacked, SoW/bard spd temporarily drop while in combat with another player and come back 8 seconds after being out of combat, and give warriors some kind of charge ability that increases their movement speed/CC immunity to actually make them relevant.

Needless

Toe Sucker
pvp in eq is so ungodly bad its funny that people even mention it like it would be considered a real option for a TLP server lol

• 1Solidarity

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is probably news to 1% of you that only play EQ but pretty much every co-op game since the beginning of time has some kind of map hack / assist tool. Saying EQ cant have PVP because of tool assists or map hacking tools makes no sense.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A PvP progression server would be a gigantic toxic mess full of cheaters and vile hatred. It will bring out the worst in people. That's the draw!

Also it must have Rallos Zek style item loot. People are going to take PvP more seriously when the rent payment is on the line.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is probably news to 1% of you that only play EQ but pretty much every co-op game since the beginning of time has some kind of map hack / assist tool. Saying EQ cant have PVP because of tool assists or map hacking tools makes no sense.

Every PvP game I've ever played people had them, even the major ones like DAoC, Lineage, Tera, Wow. The difference is though, in those games it was a very small % of people who had them and the game companies actively banned the people over time. In any of those games, I've never seen someone who obviously used them not get banned eventually. SEQ is so widespread in EQ, and DBG does nothing about it. The majority of people in EQ either use SEQ or someone in their group is using it. The pvp in any of those games would have never survived if the companies didn't actively ban and go after map hackers and exploiters. That's the difference, DBG doesn't go after anyone who uses SEQ.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Item loot (no weapons, no items in bags) team based PvP would be incredibly fun. Combine it with FV rules and you've got a real dynamite server on your hands.

No one cares about balance, or SEQ, it's just about fun.

I do think the accelerated spawn timers are awful, I'd love to go back to a system where most mobs were 3.5 days with variance similar to Fippy/Vulak.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I like it. The increased spawn time. That way people who lose a shot at items because they are at work, can raid it later on, at night time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd like a no boxing at all server. I guess it would be 1 login per IP with some kind of vpn detection magicry. Halved or quartered or more instance lockouts would be cool too. And maybe some lockout bugfixes as well. /dream

Never going to happen - if they could reduce it to something to mandate one HUMAN per chacter I'm sure they'd try to make it work (but no idea how that theorem could EVER work) - but so many couples play EQ together (or parents/kids) that not being able to share and IP would be terrible.

Seriously, I think a full third of my current guild would say "Fuck this!" overnight if such a thing was ever done.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Ohhhhh I didn't think about that

large.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Item loot (no weapons, no items in bags) team based PvP would be incredibly fun. Combine it with FV rules and you've got a real dynamite server on your hands.

No one cares about balance, or SEQ, it's just about fun.

I do think the accelerated spawn timers are awful, I'd love to go back to a system where most mobs were 3.5 days with variance similar to Fippy/Vulak.

Regarding spawn timers, I hear you and would tend to agree as it relates to a typical release with instances. I think a server would do just fine with what you are describing WITH instances.

The reality though is that with instances, you ultimately end up with a collection of instance guilds and one guild that dominates open world. Very low competition overall.

This is why I thought a server with even further increased respawn , no instances, and some type of open world loot lockout would be really interesting. It creates a situation of contention for open world targets and leaves a little something in the mix to prevent one guild from either a. Burning itself out or b. Completely dominating everything.

Example: vulak 4x a week with 2 day lockouts on a kill. This would mean 42 hours average spawn time ( let’s say as early as 36 and as late as 48 for funs sake) which would mean that other guilds will have incentive to and will be actively looking at open world, and often colliding.

This is just a quick example but high level rethinking instances in a way that is not private but hybrid open world is an interesting way to create competition and old school eq feel. It will keep guilds sniffing around open world Zones, keep things populated and generally increase guild to guild “interaction” if you catch my drift :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Never going to happen - if they could reduce it to something to mandate one HUMAN per chacter I'm sure they'd try to make it work (but no idea how that theorem could EVER work) - but so many couples play EQ together (or parents/kids) that not being able to share and IP would be terrible.

Seriously, I think a full third of my current guild would say "Fuck this!" overnight if such a thing was ever done.

Last year I had went back to a DAoC freeshard server for a short time that had a population of about 3k-4k. They had a no box rule based on IP. If you had multiple people in the same house that wanted to play, you had to put in a request to have more than 1 account for that IP. It was fast, but there was little proof you had to provide to get it approved so it was easy to get around, but they had a good in game system that detected boxes and permabanned your IP if you were found boxing. They had GM's that would run around zones seeing if they found anything suspicious, or if you got reported enough for what appeared to be boxing they would randomly pull you in to a zone room and conduct a test to see if you were or not. It actually worked pretty decently and made the majority of people not even try it, and those who did didn't last long.

Vaclav

Last year I had went back to a DAoC freeshard server for a short time that had a population of about 3k-4k. They had a no box rule based on IP. If you had multiple people in the same house that wanted to play, you had to put in a request to have more than 1 account for that IP. It was fast, but there was little proof you had to provide to get it approved so it was easy to get around, but they had a good in game system that detected boxes and permabanned your IP if you were found boxing. They had GM's that would run around zones seeing if they found anything suspicious, or if you got reported enough for what appeared to be boxing they would randomly pull you in to a zone room and conduct a test to see if you were or not. It actually worked pretty decently and made the majority of people not even try it, and those who did didn't last long.

Yea, in a game with GMs such could work a la P99 - but we know current EQ GM staffing numbers...

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, in a game with GMs such could work a la P99 - but we know current EQ GM staffing numbers...

They have the manpower especially when a TLP first launches. The first month of Agnarr, I got a visit from a GM or guide on almost a daily basis, sometimes spending 2-3 hours at a time sitting at my camp. The bunny GM (can't remember his name) spent almost 4 hours at efreeti with me one day. One night a guide spent an hour trying to talk me in to leaving the efreeti camp for a few days before she realized I wasn't going to (then they actually forced me to leave). So I definitely think they have the manpower to pull it off.

Zithax

Molten Core Raider
I always have fun in the initial grind and screwing around a bit in classic. We'll see what happens. I would have preferred another special event server or something, they need to work on some more creative rulesets for gods sake.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
That's always my first thought when people bring up PvP server. Wouldn't everyone just run SEQ? I feel like for them to start a PvP TLP, they'd have to really crack down on SEQ usage. WoW and DAoC both had it's radar users but I don't think it was as widespread as SEQ and to my knowledge they actively banned people who were caught using it. DAoC had the infamous Gunnora who would run radar on the PvP server and he was cancer to deal with, but he eventually got banned out of ever being able to play the game.

Every PvP game I've ever played people had them, even the major ones like DAoC, Lineage, Tera, Wow. The difference is though, in those games it was a very small % of people who had them and the game companies actively banned the people over time. In any of those games, I've never seen someone who obviously used them not get banned eventually. SEQ is so widespread in EQ, and DBG does nothing about it. The majority of people in EQ either use SEQ or someone in their group is using it. The pvp in any of those games would have never survived if the companies didn't actively ban and go after map hackers and exploiters. That's the difference, DBG doesn't go after anyone who uses SEQ.

WoW handled this by making the radius pretty small in which mob/player data is sent to you. In fact if you have the top flying speed and a little bit of lag there will be times where you have to stop and wait a couple seconds for the mobs to materialize under you constantly.

SEQ only works because EQ sends data for the entire zone to you. If it's setup properly there's no way they can possibly detect it, outside of GMs spawning invisible "bait" mobs and seeing who goes for them.

If EQ could limit the range that data is sent to you it would pretty much fix the SEQ problem but the question is can they even dive into that 19 year old mess of spaghetti code to change it now. People would still use it to camp mobs and such but at least you wouldn't be able to see where everyone in the zone is hiding at all times.

Vaclav

Uh they actually did try that at one point.... it didn't go well - think it was TSS beta they were testing it, but the game fell apart with the range limiter

Tarmie

Golden Squire
Uh they actually did try that at one point.... it didn't go well - think it was TSS beta they were testing it, but the game fell apart with the range limiter
Even now where the "quick update" range is lower than the max actor clip distance you get weird shit like mobs walking in place then suddenly warping away as you get close. Not getting those spawns at all would break everything, lol.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I have mixed experiences with these. I'll roll a group friendly character, and sometimes get in a few awesome groups on the journey to level cap. But more often than not I run into boxed groups that don't want to let people in, or other people just being general asshats, KSing mobs, training, just existing only to create hate or drama.

When it works as intended with social grouping, guilds etc it's awesome. But I swear the ratio of autistic to friendly people is just getting worse.

*EDIT

Also looks like they fixed the fire pet, sorry to anyone who was going to roll mage because of it :p

- Fixed a bug that caused low level fire pets to cast an incorrect spell in eras prior to Planes of Power.

• 1Like